A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Those wanting Bulut to stay

Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 am

MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
JulesK wrote:Give him the players he needs then judge him.

That leads to the million dollar question.....if Bulut stays, will he get the funds he needs to get the players he wants???

If not, would you want him to stay?

I would he had none last year and a limited choice of players due to the embargo and moved us from 21st to 11th, that's good going and way above everyone's expectation at the start of the season.

Fans have gone from I hope we can stay up to, we should be in the playoffs due to the squad rebuild he did on a comparative shoestring without a Striker.

He did very well in the transfer market last January considering the small amount of money that was available. Turnbull and Horvath were great signings, and Phillips is a great player.

Not going with the "without a striker" bit though. Meite scored 42 goals in 156 appearances in a struggling Reading team and Diedhiou scored 51 in 169 apps for Bristol City so both experienced championship players. It's the style of football we play that makes them look bad.

Yes when they were younger and at their best, we had a limited budget and got them in decline, we need to find the next Hieder Helguson for next season :thumbup:

Meite is 28, an age that is considered to be in their prime. Diedhiou is 31. Neither are past it by a long way. You may want to consider that fact that they were at their best at Reading and Bristol City because the style of football suited a sticker, whereas ours doesn't.

You have a point it's difficult for Strikers here but Meites record at reading was fading
17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4
So only 4 goals in the last two seasons combined

Diedhiou similar pattern 18 games for Granada last season on loan - 0 goals, if we had a decent Striker every aspect would look so much better.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:02 am

Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

That leads to the million dollar question.....if Bulut stays, will he get the funds he needs to get the players he wants???

I would he had none last year and a limited choice of players due to the embargo and moved us from 21st to 11th, that's good going and way above everyone's expectation at the start of the season.

Fans have gone from I hope we can stay up to, we should be in the playoffs due to the squad rebuild he did on a comparative shoestring without a Striker.

He did very well in the transfer market last January considering the small amount of money that was available. Turnbull and Horvath were great signings, and Phillips is a great player.

Not going with the "without a striker" bit though. Meite scored 42 goals in 156 appearances in a struggling Reading team and Diedhiou scored 51 in 169 apps for Bristol City so both experienced championship players. It's the style of football we play that makes them look bad.

Yes when they were younger and at their best, we had a limited budget and got them in decline, we need to find the next Hieder Helguson for next season :thumbup:

Meite is 28, an age that is considered to be in their prime. Diedhiou is 31. Neither are past it by a long way. You may want to consider that fact that they were at their best at Reading and Bristol City because the style of football suited a sticker, whereas ours doesn't.

You have a point it's difficult for Strikers here but Meites record at reading was fading
17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4

Diedhiou similar pattern 18 games for Granada last season on loan - 0 goals, if we had a decent Striker every aspect would look so much better.

Meite's form declined along with the Reading team in general resulting in relegation. This Cardiff teams is better than the Reading team over the last 2 years. His has scored 1 goal in 32 apps this season.

I don't know Granada's situation so can't comment.

My point is, our strikers are too concerned about the defensive responsility Bulut puts on them which effects their natural instinct to attack. Haaland would struggle to get into double figures under Bulut.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:04 am

MikeO76 wrote:

Yes Mike.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:07 am

Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4

so we brought in 'fading' srikers in an attempt to solve the longstanding City striker conundrum

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:11 am

MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4

Meite's form declined along with the Reading team in general resulting in relegation. This Cardiff teams is better than the Reading team over the last 2 years. His has scored 1 goal in 32 apps this season.

My point is, our strikers are too concerned about the defensive responsility Bulut puts on them which effects their natural instinct to attack. Haaland would struggle to get into double figures under Bulut.

I get the point, we are defensive and it is hard for all the Strikers, but those two aren't great either.

Ugbo looked better in front of goal and we were certainly more attack focused at the start of the season, but he lost key attacking players and had to make big changes and work with the players he had available.

I'd like to see how he can move us forward with a real transfer window, I think he can play more attacking football if he can make a few changes, time will tell :thumbup:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:13 am

tangledupinblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4

so we brought in 'fading' srikers in an attempt to solve the longstanding City striker conundrum

Yes, he was limited in who we could buy, and in January he wanted some Turkish/Greek player I can't remember which, and or Moore, but he had to make do with lesser players.
Last edited by Bluebina on Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:13 am

JulesK wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Yes Mike.

That's fair enough. I'm still hoping he'll change his style of play, which looked promising yesterday, but I'm not holding my breath.

These next 4 games may see him being a bit more adventurous. But if he's here next season, I think he'll revert back to his natural cautious style of play we've seen for most of this season, especially at home.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am

That's what I mean Mike perhaps we would see a different set up if he had the players he wanted.
We know you're not getting everything you ask for but to be fair he was starved.
Quite enjoyed the midfield of Ashford, Colwell and Turnbull lol.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:22 am

Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

17/18 15-1 goal
18/19 40 13
19/20 45 17
20/21 25 12
21/22 13 0
22/23 27 4

I get the point, we are defensive and it is hard for all the Strikers, but those two aren't great either.

Ugbo looked better in front of goal and we were certainly more attack focused at the start of the season, but he lost key attacking players and had to make big changes and work with the players he had available.

I'd like to see how he can move us forward with a real transfer window, I think he can play more attacking football if he can make a few changes, time will tell :thumbup:

Ugbo has scored 6 in 14 games for Sheff Wed compared to 4 in 20 games for City but we'll never know if he'd have scored more for us. I'd imagine Bulut got rid of him because he couldn't or wouldn't take on the defensive responsibilty that Bulut wanted him to but we'll probably never know.

If Bulut stays or not, I can't see there being much money available for transfers unfortunately but strangers things have happened. As you say, time will tell :thumbup:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:33 am

JulesK wrote:That's what I mean Mike perhaps we would see a different set up if he had the players he wanted.
We know you're not getting everything you ask for but to be fair he was starved.
Quite enjoyed the midfield of Ashford, Colwell and Turnbull lol.

We could well see a different set up if he get his players in, but I can't see there being money available for that this summer unfortunately.

Yes I agree, the 3 of them looked very comfortable together and I think they all enjoyed the game. Same again Saturday would be great to see. :bluescarf:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:05 pm

I flip flop on bulut hourly

You cannot argue about the points total the squad isn’t much better than last seasons but we are so safe. It’s boring. But, it’s like watching paint dry.

I keep asking myself what can he do differently tactically wise? We do not have a natural wing back unless Dowda is fully fit and nobody on the right
Colwill is an enigma but it’s not insolvable. We just need 3 centre half’s, wingbacks and play one holder with turnbull. Then colwill with 2 strikers.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I flip flop on bulut hourly

You cannot argue about the points total the squad isn’t much better than last seasons but we are so safe. It’s boring. But, it’s like watching paint dry.

I keep asking myself what can he do differently tactically wise? We do not have a natural wing back unless Dowda is fully fit and nobody on the right
Colwill is an enigma but it’s not insolvable. We just need 3 centre half’s, wingbacks and play one holder with turnbull. Then colwill with 2 strikers.

Bulut knows the squad and knows how to tweak it, a new Manager would rip it all up and start again, it's better to grow and develop rather than, smash it up rebuild, smash it up rebuild, smash it up rebuild oh shit we might go down.

It's nice to have the same Manager start and end the season, if we change no doubt it will be two managers or three a season again.
Last edited by Bluebina on Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:34 pm

I’ve sat on the fence regarding Bulut.

But for me he has have another year as if and I mean if Tan stays ?? we won’t get any better under Tan.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I’ve sat on the fence regarding Bulut.

But for me he has have another year as if and I mean if Tan stays ?? we won’t get any better under Tan.

Exactly Annis, we can't trust Tan and Dalman to get better they mess it up more than get things right!

Hmmm if Tan stays ;)

Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I’ve sat on the fence regarding Bulut.

Exactly Annis, we can't trust Tan and Dalman to get better they mess it up more than get things right!

Hmmm if Tan stays ;)

He's such a tease :laughing5:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:10 pm

Oooooo Annis.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:12 pm

Do we think if bulet was backed properly in January meaning getting the players he wanted would we have made the playoffs?
Thoughts please

Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:45 pm

desbluebird wrote:Do we think if bulet was backed properly in January meaning getting the players he wanted would we have made the playoffs?
Thoughts please

deffo would have seen a different side and set up me thinks not sure about play offs tho

the board need shooting for not backing him properly

Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:16 pm

desbluebird wrote:Do we think if bulet was backed properly in January meaning getting the players he wanted would we have made the playoffs?
Thoughts please

i think so added quality where we are lacking which is midfield and attack could only make way for better performances surly ?

i really do thing 6th would of been ours i really do

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 pm

Thoughts please

Yes, nearly done it with what he had at his disposal.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:31 pm

kyle08 wrote:
Thoughts please

i think so added quality where we are lacking which is midfield and attack could only make way for better performances surly ?

i really do thing 6th would of been ours i really do

We have quality in both midfield and attack. The problem is not that we are lacking in quality with the current players we have, the problem is Bulut doesn't set up to play to the ability of the players, he sets up to defend as a team, keep the shape and hopefully get a goal from a set piece.

Whatever players you have at your disposal, you have to play a style of football that gets the best out of them and Bulut has failed to do that.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:35 pm

Thoughts please

I don't. Theres too much to do for a winter window.

I assume he stays and it would be great for him to have a sit down with a decent journalist and without spilling too many internal beans tell us what he is trying to do, what he had to do, and what good looks like.

This guy never played in the UK, so how could he tell in preseason whether Etete,Meite or Ugbo were going to be any good in the championship, what works and what doesn't? Then we have the Colwill conundrum, would the returning local hero be effective at his stage in his career? Where would Robinson play if Rambo and Colwill were fit? Has he ever seen a fit Robinson?

He appears an intelligent bloke, I have no doubt he will adapt knowing he has a two year deal.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

I never post (almost never anyway)
I just wanted to say that even though the table can still change with the remaining games still to play, I think that the only team above us that you could argue "shouldn't be" is Preston .... whereas below us I would say Birmingham, Watford, Sunderland and Blackburn could argue that they "should be" above us.
All things considered we are in a pretty healthy league position, The Championship gets better and better season after season