Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Squad not good enough!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 am

A lot of people are using an excuse for Bulut that we have a poor squad. I very much beg to differ. This is probably the strongest squad we’ve had in many years.

I have compared last season to this season but have NOT included Ramsey’s stats.

1. This season we have 5 more internationals totally an extra 85 caps and 11 more goals.

2. We now have 3 players who've played Champions League with 34 appearances and 4 goals. I don't recall us ever having that experience before, but not 100% sure.

3. We have 2 more players with top league experience who have won 3 titles more than last seasons players, with 395 more appearances and 15 more goals.

4. We now have 2 players who have won major cups. 5 cup wins in total.

5. We have 4 players who have won promotion to the top league with 5 promotions in total compared to 1 last season.

If I add Ramsey's stats in there, it will obviously be a lot higher but the squad is very much more experienced than last season and probably more so than many seasons past.

This seasons squad definitely has the quality to be in the play offs.

All stats were gathered from Wiki. My maths may not be spot on but should be there or there abouts.

Re: Cardiff Squat not good enough!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:40 am

I agree with your stats but I view it slightly differently

On joining Bulut saw what we had and knew we were a club that were only saved from relegation by the financial failings of other clubs.

We should be in division 1 now

Bulut saw what we needed to be safe and remain in the championship and he acquired the players to do that. He succeeded with a transfer embargo and ffp against him.

Under Bulut we have taken two steps forward but those two small steps is only good enough for mid table. But they are steps forward nonetheless.

In the summer we need to take a further two steps forward and obtain the players to turn us from a mid table side to a promotion chasing side.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:48 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I agree with your stats but I view it slightly differently

On joining Bulut saw what we had and knew we were a club that were only saved from relegation by the financial failings of other clubs.

Bulut saw what we needed to be safe and remain in the championship and he acquired the players to do that. He succeeded with a transfer embargo and ffp against him.

Under Bulut we have taken two steps forward but those two small steps is only good enough for mid table. But they are steps forward nonetheless.

In the summer we need to take a further two steps forward and obtain the players to turn us from a mid table side to a promotion chasing side.

I agree that we've made forward steps, albeit small ones to mid table and Bulut has done a very good job in the players he brought in with the financial restrictions on us.

But, with this squad, we should be higher up the table and I don't think Bulut is capable of doing that.

However, my point is, this is not a bad squad as many want us to believe just to cover up Bulut's inability to manage it.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:24 am

MikeO76 wrote:

I agree that we've made forward steps, albeit small ones to mid table and Bulut has done a very good job in the players he brought in with the financial restrictions on us.

But, with this squad, we should be higher up the table and I don't think Bulut is capable of doing that.

However, my point is, this is not a bad squad as many want us to believe just to cover up Bulut's inability to manage it.

I tend to agree with you Mike but looking at the fan's comments on this and the other board there is a definite split regarding the perception of both Bulut's management and the team's adequacy.

No, this is not the greatest squad we've ever had but looking at the players we currently have at our disposal compared to last year, it is no surprise we've never been under threat of relegation. I wouldn't go as far to say we should be play-off contenders but yes maybe an 8th place finish should have been within our grasp.

The biggest quandary we have is whether Bulut has what it takes to move the club forward with more astute tactics and aided by backing from the board. I have no confidence that this is the case but unless we have someone like Cooper lined up to replace him, I feel that we have no option but to extend his contract, maybe by 12 months. The downside is that if the football doesn't improve, the crowds will continue to dwindle, a fact that has probably not gone unnoticed by the board.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:46 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

I tend to agree with you Mike but looking at the fan's comments on this and the other board there is a definite split regarding the perception of both Bulut's management and the team's adequacy.

No, this is not the greatest squad we've ever had but looking at the players we currently have at our disposal compared to last year, it is no surprise we've never been under threat of relegation. I wouldn't go as far to say we should be play-off contenders but yes maybe an 8th place finish should have been within our grasp.

The biggest quandary we have is whether Bulut has what it takes to move the club forward with more astute tactics and aided by backing from the board. I have no confidence that this is the case but unless we have someone like Cooper lined up to replace him, I feel that we have no option but to extend his contract, maybe by 12 months. The downside is that if the football doesn't improve, the crowds will continue to dwindle, a fact that has probably not gone unnoticed by the board.

My issue with Bulut being given a new contract is I don't think he has the ability to change tactics and teams have known how to play against us since November. If he is here next season we will be a relegation fight and he'll be gone before Xmas, then we have to find a new manager to work with Bulut's team.

I'd rather get a new manager in at the end of the season so he can move his own players in and out in the summer window.

Re: Cardiff Squad not good enough!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:03 am

The squad isn't good enough. Rambo injured.

Stats doesn't mean anything really in terms of the ones mentioned.

Champions League - TNS are technically in the qualifying rounds, so that means their players have played champions league.

International players - could have the entire San Morino team, doesn't make them good.

Top league experience - Oumar Niasse had top league experience and was one of the worst footballers I've seen. Means nothing.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 am

Roath_Blue wrote:The squad isn't good enough. Rambo injured.

Stats doesn't mean anything really in terms of the ones mentioned.

Champions League - TNS are technically in the qualifying rounds, so that means their players have played champions league.

International players - could have the entire San Morino team, doesn't make them good.

Top league experience - Oumar Niasse had top league experience and was one of the worst footballers I've seen. Means nothing.

This is true, BUT you know as well as I and everyone else, the players in question played for top teams and for very good countries and in very good competitive top leagues and not amateur teams or countries seeded 210th in the world.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:47 am

The question is not whether this squad is better than last season’s because it clearly is.

The question should be is this a top half squad (that’s where we are in the league)? I would say probably not. I think there are at least 12 squads in the league stronger than ours - especially when you consider Ramsey and O’Dowda have been missing most of the season.

Is this a top six squad? Certainly not.

Finally, would prefer to have another BTEC manager like Hudson or Morison in charge instead of Bulut? I know I wouldn’t.

I have my issues with the way Bulut sets up the team in a negative way but he has done well to get us in the top half.

Pre-season I said if we could stay away from the relegation mix then it would have been a good season, so I say it’s been a good season.

I mean, how many really expected us to be top half?

I’d say practically nobody with a sane mind genuinely saw us being around the top six, rightly so.

So I still hope Bulut stays.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:01 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The question is not whether this squad is better than last season’s because it clearly is.

The question should be is this a top half squad (that’s where we are in the league)? I would say probably not. I think there are at least 12 squads in the league stronger than ours - especially when you consider Ramsey and O’Dowda have been missing most of the season.

Finally, would prefer to have another BTEC manager like Hudson or Morison in charge instead of Bulut? I know I wouldn’t.

I have my issues with the way Bulut sets up the team in a negative way but he has done well to get us in the top half.

Pre-season I said if we could stay away from the relegation mix then it would have been a good season, so I say it’s been a good season.

I’d say practically nobody with a sane mind genuinely saw us being around the top six, rightly so.

What you say about our league position is true but it's dampened by the general performance of the team over an extended period and the number of home defeats suffered against teams we should have taken points off (Brum, QPR, Preston, Sunderland etc). Probably why there's still a nagging doubt about Bulut's ability to take the club to another level, even with investment.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 pm

It's a good squad but think question is if he was given the means to get in the players he wanted would we be top six? I believe we would be easily.... let's not forget he's got us where we are with players that was not 100% what he required and I think its hindered him simply because he's no experience of what is an extremely hard league
.... even experienced managers fail with decent squads but lower manager succeed that's how difficult it is in the championship... 1 year contract with 100% backing is needed just for stability! One thing for sure given this we will be left with a good squad if he leaves after next season not like previous seasons.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:The question is not whether this squad is better than last season’s because it clearly is.

What you say about our league position is true but it's dampened by the general performance of the team over an extended period and the number of home defeats suffered against teams we should have taken points off (Brum, QPR, Preston, Sunderland etc). Probably why there's still a nagging doubt about Bulut's ability to take the club to another level, even with investment.

That’s true, I’ve said before inconsistency is our issue.

That happens when have a core group of players that have to play it we’re to do well - the like of Grant, Ng, Goutas, Phillips, Ralls etc.

Whereas teams like Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich, Southampton, West Brom etc can make 5/6 changes and still perform.

Because we ask our top players to play so many games, they’re bound to have an off day from time to time.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:33 pm

There was no question in my OP. Just stating IMO that this squad is better than last season and probably best we've had in a while, because many are using the excuse that it's a bad squad and not Bulut's fault.

I disagree with you saying it's not a top half squad. We are currently 11th with 5 games left so should finish top half and that I feel is definitely underachieving with this squad.

We've had some poor managers recently but I think Morison would have got more out of this squad than Bulut has.

If Bulut goes, I know we'd have to have another cheap option but I don't think Bulut is the answer. My main reason being he's only got one tactic and other clubs have sussed that out and know how to play against us.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:45 pm

MikeO76 wrote:

There was no question in my OP. Just stating IMO that this squad is better than last season and probably best we've had in a while, because many are using the excuse that it's a bad squad and not Bulut's fault.

I disagree with you saying it's not a top half squad. We are currently 11th with 5 games left so should finish top half and that I feel is definitely underachieving with this squad.

We've had some poor managers recently but I think Morison would have got more out of this squad than Bulut has.

If Bulut goes, I know we'd have to have another cheap option but I don't think Bulut is the answer. My main reason being he's only got one tactic and other clubs have sussed that out and know how to play against us.

Well I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you because we clearly have different opinions.

I believe we’ve overachieved this season. Not so much in terms of performances but certainly in terms of results in my opinion.

One key thing to back me up is that before the season started, the bookmakers had us at around 4/1 to be top half. They had both Bristol and Swansea to finish above us.

All the pundits predicted us to be bottom six.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:58 pm

This is a great post and rings very true

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:58 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Well I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you because we clearly have different opinions.

I believe we’ve overachieved this season. Not so much in terms of performances but certainly in terms of results in my opinion.

One key thing to back me up is that before the season started, the bookmakers had us at around 4/1 to be top half. They had both Bristol and Swansea to finish above us.

All the pundits predicted us to be bottom six.

We have over achieved in some games, both Leicester and Leeds away come to mind but we've underachieved way more often than overachieved.

I'm not a big gambler so will take your word on pre season odds.

We certainly do have different opinions and that's what makes football great, and long may it last.

If Bulut does stay next season and gets the players he wants and turns this around then I will gladly eat a large slice of humble pie :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:It's a good squad but think question is if he was given the means to get in the players he wanted would we be top six? I believe we would be easily.... let's not forget he's got us where we are with players that was not 100% what he required and I think its hindered him simply because he's no experience of what is an extremely hard league
.... even experienced managers fail with decent squads but lower manager succeed that's how difficult it is in the championship... 1 year contract with 100% backing is needed just for stability! One thing for sure given this we will be left with a good squad if he leaves after next season not like previous seasons.

I'm not one that believes new or current professional players can't adapt to a new managers tactics and system, no matter what it is.

I agree that the Championship is a very difficult league and rarely goes as expected, Ipswich are a perfect example of that. It's a learning curve for new managers, but we are 41 games into the season and he's still setting his team out to play the same.

Surely he must know his tactics either don't work in this league or the players can't adapt to it. Either way, change it, but I don't think he is capable. And that's my issue with him.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:30 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:It's a good squad but think question is if he was given the means to get in the players he wanted would we be top six? I believe we would be easily.... let's not forget he's got us where we are with players that was not 100% what he required and I think its hindered him simply because he's no experience of what is an extremely hard league

I'm not one that believes new or current professional players can't adapt to a new managers tactics and system, no matter what it is.

I agree that the Championship is a very difficult league and rarely goes as expected, Ipswich are a perfect example of that. It's a learning curve for new managers, but we are 41 games into the season and he's still setting his team out to play the same.

Surely he must know his tactics either don't work in this league or the players can't adapt to it. Either way, change it, but I don't think he is capable. And that's my issue with him.

I think some of the players not good enough and some can't adapt! We are 3 players short of what he wanted but probably the most important 3 as far as buluts tactics go.....agree should known by now what works what doesn't but obviously something not working with players as can't believe he instructs them to pass backwards all time but will say thought for 1st time players looked comfortable passing around at back on Saturday... Still believe he should get new rolling contract nothing to lose because he is a good manager.. on that note its rubbish to say no one will come to City we are better proposition than majority of clubs in efl despite tan..

Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

I think some of the players not good enough and some can't adapt! We are 3 players short of what he wanted but probably the most important 3 as far as buluts tactics go.....agree should known by now what works what doesn't but obviously something not working with players as can't believe he instructs them to pass backwards all time but will say thought for 1st time players looked comfortable passing around at back on Saturday... Still believe he should get new rolling contract nothing to lose because he is a good manager.. on that note its rubbish to say no one will come to City we are better proposition than majority of clubs in efl despite tan..

I agree on some players not being good enough but a professional player should be able to adapt to any system.

I do beleive Bulut instructs them to pass backwards, it's his defensive mentality, if we have the ball they can't score.

Yes we are indeed a better proposition than majority of clubs and should attract a high level of candidates for a vacant managers job, unfortunately some on here think we could only attract inexperienced managers. Whether Tan would pay the wages that some would demand is another issue.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:16 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

I agree on some players not being good enough but a professional player should be able to adapt to any system.

I do beleive Bulut instructs them to pass backwards, it's his defensive mentality, if we have the ball they can't score.

Yes we are indeed a better proposition than majority of clubs and should attract a high level of candidates for a vacant managers job, unfortunately some on here think we could only attract inexperienced managers. Whether Tan would pay the wages that some would demand is another issue.

All players should be able to adapt but do they have the ability Not sure some have ..... funny enough i have have always said he sets up to defend a 0-0 score from start game hence poor home form it suits opposition better..... Will tan pay decent money for manager probably but its the whole package that is more important like transfer kitty which as we know changed dramatically which cost bulut main targets which think as effected his thinking..

Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

All players should be able to adapt but do they have the ability Not sure some have ..... funny enough i have have always said he sets up to defend a 0-0 score from start game hence poor home form it suits opposition better..... Will tan pay decent money for manager probably but its the whole package that is more important like transfer kitty which as we know changed dramatically which cost bulut main targets which think as effected his thinking..

That's a fair comment on whether some players have the ability, Grant certainly has, but the likes of Robinson and Colwill have struggled. I do however think that you can't put too much defensive responsibility on some players, like Bowler. He's a shadow of the player he was at Blackpool and that I think is because he's too conscious of the defensive demands Bulut puts on him. Robinson, Colwill, Meite, Diedhiou and Tanner are all the same which has effected their overall performances this season.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:15 pm

My only argument is we do not set up to attack simple as bulut is like page defend first and try and hit them on the break
this is not what i want to see at home games but it is whats been dished up all season
apart from the ipswich game we bossed the 1st half and kept going
in the 2nd half
if all our home games where played like that i would have no problem

Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm

montyblue wrote:My only argument is we do not set up to attack simple as bulut is like page defend first and try and hit them on the break
this is not what i want to see at home games but it is whats been dished up all season
in the 2nd half

Spot on! Can't see anyone disagreeing with that :thumbup:

Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
montyblue wrote:My only argument is we do not set up to attack simple as bulut is like page defend first and try and hit them on the break
in the 2nd half

Thank you budd but is just the simple thung that fans want give it a go like ipswich game and thats what can happen
but an over catious bulut is wearing most fans down.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:36 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

That's a fair comment on whether some players have the ability, Grant certainly has, but the likes of Robinson and Colwill have struggled. I do however think that you can't put too much defensive responsibility on some players, like Bowler. He's a shadow of the player he was at Blackpool and that I think is because he's too conscious of the defensive demands Bulut puts on him. Robinson, Colwill, Meite, Diedhiou and Tanner are all the same which has effected their overall performances this season.

Agree the set up is effecting players performances.... on that basis it looks as if they cant adjust to a game plan...on occasions he's let them go we've looked good be nice to Ask him why he feels he needs to set up to defend at home especially against lower placed teams?

Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:54 pm

montyblue wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
in the 2nd half

Thank you budd but is just the simple thung that fans want give it a go like ipswich game and thats what can happen
but an over catious bulut is wearing most fans down.

He certainly is. We've got 5 games left, why not go for it, he might like it. It may actually be his best way of getting a new contract.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Agree the set up is effecting players performances.... on that basis it looks as if they cant adjust to a game plan...on occasions he's let them go we've looked good be nice to Ask him why he feels he needs to set up to defend at home especially against lower placed teams?

That is the million dollar question and one we all want to know the answer to.

We've thrown away way too many points at home against lower league clubs. Who knows where we'd be in the league if he was more adventurous like against Ipswich.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:33 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

We've thrown away way too many points at home against lower league clubs. Who knows where we'd be in the league if he was more adventurous like against Ipswich.

We would be in top 6 or no more than 3 points outside it? Other thing if Rambo was fit for
More games it would be same scenario he pushes team forward and as the class to play the one ball that matters ....

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:07 am

pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

We would be in top 6 or no more than 3 points outside it? Other thing if Rambo was fit for
More games it would be same scenario he pushes team forward and as the class to play the one ball that matters ....

Good point regards Ramsey. It hasn't been the season we all dreamt it would be with Ramsey.......... life as a Cardiff fan! ;)

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:16 pm

I am torn on Bulut from day to day. In the cold light of day he has done a great job, this squad is poor.

Howarth,NG, Goutas,Philips, and maybe McGuiness would get contracts at clubs higher than us.
Grant, Wintle, Ralls & Siopis mid table same as us.
Collins, Etete, Meite, Deidhou, Tanner have peaked and won't be seeing mid-championship again. Ramsey, O'Dowda and Robinson have been unavailable.

So its isn't great and 11th is a miracle.

I go to the game thinking he's got to stay, then I have to watch the most turgid, boring, uninspired 1980's Italian style football and think I want more than this. And that's the problem Sun to Friday I think he has done a marvellous job, then I watch a game and sleep.

Not sure he'll change. Getting two proper wingers and a striker and we'd be top 6 and winning always makes the game better. I forgot about Saturday, so I want him to stay :oops: :banghead: