Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Championship Manager Sacked “

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:56 am

Plymouth Argyle Head Coach Ian Foster has been sacked after just three months in charge of the Championship club. Foster was appointed in January as a replacement for Steven Schumacher who left the team

Re: “ Championship Manager Sacked “

Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:29 pm

A job for Warnock to save them in the last few games?

He has history with Plymouth and lives relatively close.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:35 pm

How are they 1 place above relegation?

One of the more dangerous teams over 2 games against us!

Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:52 pm

Don’t know why they have lost form but they are a tidy side

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:19 pm

SB 1927 wrote:How are they 1 place above relegation?

One of the more dangerous teams over 2 games against us!

All season, they have been decent at home but awful away. Only won one game away all season.

But in recent weeks their home form has gone too so are right back in the relegation mix again.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Taking a big gamble? Hoping for new manager bounce because at moment looked to be going down as can't get a win from anywhere .... but even NW will struggle with so few games left

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 pm

Neil Warnock says he would have taken over at Plymouth Argyle until the end of the season if he had been offered the role after Ian Foster's sacking.

Foster lost his job on Monday after an eighth loss in 11 games to become the club's shortest-serving boss.

Warnock guided Argyle to promotion from what is now League Two in 1996.

He has helped the likes of Huddersfield Town, Middlesbrough, Rotherham United and Cardiff City stay in the Championship after being in trouble.

Argyle have slipped to one place and one point off the relegation places and have put director of football Neil Dewsnip and first team coach Kevin Nancekivell in charge until the end of the season.

"I would have done it if they'd have asked me, but they haven't they've gone that way," Warnock told BBC Radio Devon.

"They've got some really good players. I've seen enough of the players this year, (Morgan) Whittaker especially, to know that they've got enough to stay up."

Warnock was in charge at Huddersfield Town earlier this season - Argyle beat his side on the opening day before the veteran coach left the Terriers in mid-September.

"I know the other teams down at the bottom end, and they're more than capable of staying up," Warnock added on Argyle.

"You've got to eliminate the little errors for goals and rely on the players that you've got.

"I love the club so i just want them to do well and I'll be going to some of the games and hoping that they can get the results."

Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:44 am

Lost their decent home form at the wrong time,lost last 5 without scoring.
Have Rotherham away on Fri nite,that is a possible life line for them.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 pm

Among the favourites to be Plymouth’s next permanent manager is someone who shares some former clubs with Warnock in Heckingbottom. He has been out of work since December, when he was dismissed by Sheffield United and replaced by Chris Wilder.

The 46-year-old had led the Blades to promotion from the Championship earlier on in the year but had overseen a difficult start to life back in the Premier League.

He was recently linked with a move to Sunderland, although the Black Cats opted for a caretaker appointment following the axing of Michael Beale. Heckingbottom has been priced at 9/1 by Readwrite to take on the Plymouth role, making him the fourth-favourite. Just three names, Warnock, Nigel Pearson and Alex Neil, sit above him in the list of favourites.