Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tan pleads with Malaysians to stop boycott

Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:14 pm

Tan Sri Vincent Tan: Starbucks Malaysia boycott only hurting Malaysians
By Hayatun Razak

Malaysians should stop the boycott of Starbucks Malaysia because it is only hurting the people, said founder and advisor for Berjaya Corporation Bhd Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun.

I think all those who are boycotting Starbucks Malaysia should know that it is a Malaysia-owned company. We don’t even have one foreigner working in the head office. In the stores, 80% to 85% of employees are Muslims. This boycott doesn’t benefit anyone.

“Yes, it has some impact on us but now at least it is improving and like I said it’s all Malaysian owned, it’s run by Malaysian. It’s just a franchise, it’s not owned by an American
,” he said during a media meet here on Sunday.

Nevertheless, Tan noted a shift in momentum and expects the third quarter of the financial year 2024 to show improvement.

The tide seems to have turned as we are seeing some improvement in sales,” he said.

For the second quarter of FY24, Berjaya Food Bhd reported a 35% quarter-on-quarter drop in revenue to RM183 million and a loss after tax and minority interest of about RM42 million.

Tan’s Berjaya Food Bhd (BFood) faced significant challenges due to the boycott of Starbucks in Malaysiam which was made worse by the weakening of the ringgit against the dollar.

This resulted in a substantial decline in revenue and a record net loss for the second quarter of the fiscal year 2024.

The boycott, said to have to have sparked by the Israel-Palestine conflict, heavily impacted BFood as Starbucks Malaysia contributes 90% of the group’s revenue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tan pleads with Malaysians to stop boycott

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm

Someone needstowake up and smell the coffee...! :ayatollah: :laughing6:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:59 pm

Sven wrote:Someone needstowake up and smell the coffee...! :ayatollah: :laughing6:

I SEE what you did there ;)

Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:42 pm

Sven wrote:Someone needstowake up and smell the coffee...! :ayatollah: :laughing6:

;)

Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:57 pm

I would never ever buy any products of starbucks they are woke company who try very hard to put their woke ideas on the public their attitude and policies stink :banghead:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:26 am

Igovernor wrote:I would never ever buy any products of starbucks they are woke company who try very hard to put their woke ideas on the public their attitude and policies stink :banghead:

All true and their coffees shite

Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Malaysians giving us the blueprint on how to get him out...

Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 am

Bloody expensive too