Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ ROB PAGE GOOD READ IF INTERESTED ‘

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am

IAN HERBERT:

daily mail

Rob Page has plenty of questions to answer after penalty shootout heartbreak... with the talent at his disposal Wales should not have needed a play-off to qualify for the EurosAs usual, Rob Page was boundlessly positive in the face of defeat. 'Everything's fine. Everything's great,' he on Tuesday night said of his relationship with some of his Wales FA bosses, who less than six months ago were suggesting his contract would be reviewed if the country didn't qualify for the European Championship automatically.

The country haven't qualified for the European Championship at all, following the shootout defeat by Poland. And though Page painted a picture of himself as a central character in what happens next, he has some uncomfortable questions to answer today about his management of that game.
Though Poland were a far stronger proposition than Finland, who Wales had beaten to reach Tuesday night's eliminator, most managers would have been desperate to replicate the most eye-catching part of the 4-1 win against them: the pace and interlinking of strikers Harry Wilson, Brennan Johnson, David Brooks and substitute Daniel James, which clearly terrified the Finns.Page was restricted. Brooks had been ill over the weekend and was on the bench. But that doesn't explain why the manager wound up bringing on James, full of confidence after his destructive exposition of pace against the Finns, as a wing back, at a time in the game when the Poles were tiring....And why Tottenham's Brennan Johnson, who had been a threat, was substituted early.

You would have thought footballing curiosity might have left Page wanting to set Johnson and James together to run against a defence which had put in a major shift. But these awkward questions of game management seem to get lost in the grand sweep of the Wales story, as told by him.

For those Wales fans who travelled to Qatar at great expense, the memory of Iran sweeping through the vast spaces left open in Wales' midfield, during the World Cup group stage defeat, will take some forgetting.

Yet here Page is, talking transitionary periods and the new generation when we have to ask: wouldn't that Wales side have beaten Poland under a different manager......Kieffer Moore looked less and less likely to score as the game went on, yet Page gave him the full 120 minutes. Substitute Brooks, who opened the scoring against Finland, was himself substituted, which was also puzzling.

It's hard to get any real understanding of Page's method or philosophy because he has never sat down to discuss either in depth. Despite Wales' part in the delayed 2020 Euros and last World Cup, we are no closer to a comprehension of him because his media appearances in both were so brief.

There's no overwhelming sense that the FAW suits are in a hurry to remove Page, though fans are less tranquil. Some who saw Wales lose 4-2 at home to Armenia - world ranking: 97 - and fail to win in the country's capital, Yerevan, in the qualifying campaign, still believe he should go now.

They look at Steve Clarke's Scotland - defeating Norway and even Spain on the way to comfortable Euros qualification - and wonder whether Page's strategic and tactical nous is really good enough.?
Page's future may become clearer after the Nations League games, against Turkey, Iceland and Montenegro, which come next for Wales this autumn. The 2026 World Cup campaign then follows. Expanded to 48 teams, it's a tournament Wales will not want to miss out.

'We are going somewhere. There is something good happening with this group,' Page said on Tuesday night, though many are coming around to the view that Wales could quite easily reach that destination without him.

Re: ‘ ROB PAGE GOOD READ IF INTERESTED ‘

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 am

I know Page has his fans but taking all sentiment out, you have to ask the question, would a better manager be getting more out of this squad? I think the answer to that is yes and that a better manager should be brought in.

He was always a band aid after Giggs (who I don't like) in a similar fashion to when Morison was brought in to manage us. I didn't particularly like Coleman either and felt that he was riding the amazing wave that Speedo had started.

Just my opinion though.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:15 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I know Page has his fans but taking all sentiment out, you have to ask the question, would a better manager be getting more out of this squad? I think the answer to that is yes and that a better manager should be brought in.

He was always a band aid after Giggs (who I don't like) in a similar fashion to when Morison was brought in to manage us. I didn't particularly like Coleman either and felt that he was riding the amazing wave that Speedo had started.

Just my opinion though.

What's interesting is all points made is that most of fans are saying! Problem is he's done same mistakes several times its in his DNA to be defensive minded and its cost us big time especially this qualification.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:32 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:I know Page has his fans but taking all sentiment out, you have to ask the question, would a better manager be getting more out of this squad? I think the answer to that is yes and that a better manager should be brought in.

Just my opinion though.

What's interesting is all points made is that most of fans are saying! Problem is he's done same mistakes several times its in his DNA to be defensive minded and its cost us big time especially this qualification.

TBH Al, I'd seen enough after the WC. I know that the Bale/Rambo effect diminishing is part of the equation but it was there too see then and on the world stage.

It's not a salty kneejerk comment after losing on pens last night, we should have done better earlier in the tournament and even if we would have won, which we should have, I'd still feel the same.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:44 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Just my opinion though.

TBH Al, I'd seen enough after the WC. I know that the Bale/Rambo effect diminishing is part of the equation but it was there too see then and on the world stage.

It's not a salty kneejerk comment after losing on pens last night, we should have done better earlier in the tournament and even if we would have won, which we should have, I'd still feel the same.

Tbh I thought that bale at times was a hindrance in overall game plan? Either it was himself or page playing him to deep just like he did with Rambo that was problem...... my problem with page is he cannot get best out of yhe squad because he wants to defend 0-0 and its restricting some players... why oh why didn't he swap Brooks for James to start game ? No he plays moore which returned team to defend the 0-0..... 5/6 defenders throughout game was criminal considering our form at home and their away form.... no question we should have qualified from group and can see us having same conversation next qualification group ..... as this article eludes to pages failings previously

Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm

Be interesting at the end of the year to compare Scotland's 2024 with our 2022. Very similar fixture profiles. They are now dinning at the top table in the Nations League with games against Portugal, Croatia and Poland. We had Belgium, Netherlands and Poland. They've also got tournament football playing Germany, Switzerland and Hungary where as we had England, USA and Iran.

We're continually lambasted by the run of defeats in those games. Be interesting how they fare with a run of much harder fixtures. I see they went gun - ho against Netherlands on Friday and could of got a couple of goals in the first half. But they left themselves light at the back and ended up on the end of 4 nil mauling.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 pm

epping blue wrote:Be interesting at the end of the year to compare Scotland's 2024 with our 2022. Very similar fixture profiles. They are now dinning at the top table in the Nations League with games against Portugal, Croatia and Poland. We had Belgium, Netherlands and Poland. They've also got tournament football playing Germany, Switzerland and Hungary where as we had England, USA and Iran.

We're continually lambasted by the run of defeats in those games. Be interesting how they fare with a run of much harder fixtures. I see they went gun - ho against Netherlands on Friday and could of got a couple of goals in the first half. But they left themselves light at the back and ended up on the end of 4 nil mauling.

Scots on losing streak since qualifying .... I think we are a better squad than them but its the manager that makes them play better than their abilities suggest.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:Be interesting at the end of the year to compare Scotland's 2024 with our 2022. Very similar fixture profiles. They are now dinning at the top table in the Nations League with games against Portugal, Croatia and Poland. We had Belgium, Netherlands and Poland. They've also got tournament football playing Germany, Switzerland and Hungary where as we had England, USA and Iran.

Scots on losing streak since qualifying .... I think we are a better squad than them but its the manager that makes them play better than their abilities suggest.

Your right they are on a losing streak and they've nine games this year which are difficult and on ranking they should lose. Couple of friendlies per the euros which will earn them very little and the overall result could be that come December their in pot 3 for the world cup draw. They'll need to win a couple, Hungary in the Euros and Poland in the Nations league are winnable for them.

I'm surprised you think we have a better squad than them currently. Against NI they played with 6 players in midfield and upfront who are all regulars starters for their premier league clubs. Some weeks there isn't a single Welsh starter in the premier league and certainly no one that's a nailed on starter. Their defence is at least equivalent to ours and they have number of goalies who actually play football.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Your right they are on a losing streak and they've nine games this year which are difficult and on ranking they should lose. Couple of friendlies per the euros which will earn them very little and the overall result could be that come December their in pot 3 for the world cup draw. They'll need to win a couple, Hungary in the Euros and Poland in the Nations league are winnable for them.

I'm surprised you think we have a better squad than them currently. Against NI they played with 6 players in midfield and upfront who are all regulars starters for their premier league clubs. Some weeks there isn't a single Welsh starter in the premier league and certainly no one that's a nailed on starter. Their defence is at least equivalent to ours and they have number of goalies who actually play football.

Should said more talented squad... most of our squad are playing regularly except goalies of course! My point is they have a manager who gets most out squad prior to his appointment they hadn't qualified for last 3 or 4 taunements despite having couple of high profile managers..... my view is its not about the players it's the manager that makes the difference as we've seen with warnock and to point bulut page was lucky had bale to help out now he's gone we failed to qualify from group we were expected to do so + poland game... this article sets out perfectly the problem with page and why we failed to qualify.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

When we were relegated to the dungeon I gave up on us, found beer, girls and played parks football until Eddie May got in the way :)

During my parks career :) i met loads of decent guys who if it wasn't for their efforts half the clubs and pub teams would have folded. They were always the manager, with words of wisdom from, you OK son, it's nothing, if you're booked your name is ......
It was 442 no tactics apart from getting it in the box.

Page is a professional version of those guys!

Nowadays you do your badges, you all do the same thing, then you get a chance and you are judged whether you did better than the squad you have. If you are perceived as doing well, a club higher in the pyramid offers you a chance with better player, but against better players, you are judged all the time. You normally get two chances but after that its bye bye.

Page is part of a coaching team, not the main man.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

I heard an interesting, if laughable conversation after the game whilst walking back to the train with a deflated heart knowing that summer jaunt to Deutschland was now off the table. A person clearly of northern dialect stating if Mullin had played he would have scored the one on one and possibly one or two more.....to which end, someone not part of the said conversation said, maybe we should have put Wrexsam whole team on the park and the manager, and you'd be happy then!

Cheered me up for about 5 minutes before the thought of a summer of Bratwurst and Krombacher was not to be sent me shuffling towards a delayed and no doubt packed one carriage transport for Wales train!

Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

llan bluebird wrote:When we were relegated to the dungeon I gave up on us, found beer, girls and played parks football until Eddie May got in the way :)

During my parks career :) i met loads of decent guys who if it wasn't for their efforts half the clubs and pub teams would have folded. They were always the manager, with words of wisdom from, you OK son, it's nothing, if you're booked your name is ......
It was 442 no tactics apart from getting it in the box.

Page is a professional version of those guys!

Nowadays you do your badges, you all do the same thing, then you get a chance and you are judged whether you did better than the squad you have. If you are perceived as doing well, a club higher in the pyramid offers you a chance with better player, but against better players, you are judged all the time. You normally get two chances but after that its bye bye.

Page is part of a coaching team, not the main man.

Always several coaches involved but who makes the final decision on team selection or tactics? Head coach "page" or do they do it by consensus ?
If that's the case page is not required :lol: