Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Next steps

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:20 pm

The result and performance on Saturday is deflating, but atleast we have got 3 points out of 6 for the Swansea fixtures and 6 out of 6 within the Bristol fixtures. Better than previous seasons and a step in the right direction.

We are sitting in mid table, again it's a step in the right direction. I've said since the beginning of the season to fellow Bluebirds I know that we would be probably be aiming for mid table and hopefully we can build more next season.

So the next steps we need to take are to extend Bulut's contract, he's seems to be like marmite within our fan base. Personally I like him, some decisions in games are baffling I admit, but overall he's got us to where we currently are so something has been working and let's face it if we were in play off positions there would be alot less noise surrounding him.

Player wise the first target is a centre forward followed by a LB and RW.
Those are priority. Then we could look at cover for centre back etc as the window goes along.

For the remaining games we need to lift our heads back up and get that rhythm we had before that Swansea game, play offs are out of reach and would be an over achievement. So far it's a successful season with what has been going on behind the scenes, the context of bulut joining (first season in UK), embargo etc.

So hopefully we can get some good recruitment happening again in the next window and go another step up :bluebird:

Re: Next steps

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:57 pm

Well balanced view

Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:42 pm

I guess he is staying and the club was hoping for some sort of result to go with the 125 year anniversary to get the 24/25 season ticket sales a boost at launch........Buggered that up.

After 80% of the season, I can see he is a safety-first Malky type than a DJ. My question is what is the ideal Bulut set up?

Full backs being able to drop into midfield is really defensive as at our level you are either a defender (Peltier) or a runner (Drameh), so if that's the case do you need a 6 ? If yes then you don't need two 8's as it needs to be far more attacking and that leaves Siopis and Ralls out.

If he wants a target man, they are normally slow, coupled with Colwill and Turnbull there'll be no press. Inverted wide forwards with no overlapping full backs is just wrong at our level, its just pushes us too narrow into their bodies.

So with 8 games to go I don't know if he'll need to move on Siopis, Turnbull, Colwill, NG, or Wintle to play his preferred style. But this is not his squad so he'll need to work hard over the summer to rebalance it.

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

The manager could/might give some game time to the likes of Ashfrord ???