Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VIDEO: SWANSEA FAN IN CARDIFF END GETS A KICK IN

Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:48 pm

Two Cardiff City fans attacked a Swansea City fan and "gave him a kicking" in the stands after he celebrated a last-minute winning goal in the Cardiff end. The hooligans punched, kicked, and stamped on the victim in an attack caught on camera.

Both pleaded guilty in Crown Court.

Tuesday 12th March 2024

Video:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... ommunities

Brothers Cory Jones, 28, and Steven Jones, 34, made a beeline for Swansea City fan Samuel Evans who attended the south Wales derby at the Cardiff City Stadium in Cardiff on April 1 last year. Mr Evans had bought a ticket for the match in the Cardiff end having been unable to purchase one in the away end.

A sentencing hearing at Cardiff Crown Court on Tuesday heard Mr Evans "instinctively" celebrated a winning Swansea goal in the 99th minute and revealed his Swansea City shirt in the process. As a result the Jones brothers climbed over a number of seats and began raining punches down upon their victim.

Mobile phone and CCTV footage was played to the court by prosecutor Alice Sykes in which the defendants delivered a number of blows to Mr Evans, who had gone to the floor. Steven Jones began the initial attack before Cory Jones weighed in and stamped, kicked, and punched the victim.

Stewards attempted to separate the two sets of fans but as they attempted to move Mr Evans the defendants pursued him and continued to throw punches. The footage showed Mr Evans falling down stairs in the stand but this was not down to the defendants.

After the match both Cory and Steven Jones, who donned Stone Island hoodies, could be seen hugging friends and joking. Mr Evans was taken to hospital to receive treatment for injuries including a haematoma to the back of his head and a red mark to his abdomen.

In a victim personal statement Mr Evans said: "The first few days after the incident I couldn't sleep very well and the thought of going to away games makes me scared. I am anxious of going to places with opposing teams and crowds of fans..... I am scared and anxious to go to away games and I haven't been to one since.... I am anxious about bumping into the defendants and anxious about what would happen if they recognised me."

Steven Jones, of Morris Avenue, Penrhiwceiber, Mountain Ash, and Cory Jones, of Milbourne Street, Abercynon, were arrested after being identified on CCTV footage and later pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray. Cory Jones has a conviction for driving offences and Steven Jones has a conviction for criminal damage.

In mitigation defence barrister Andrew Taylor said: "I have a confession – from the age of eight I started watching Cardiff City and I am more cursed than blessed in that regard. For those of us who have been to football matches violence is always serious and the police do sterling work to try and prevent it and things are put in place to reduce areas of conflict.

"The main stadium in Cardiff has a designated area for away fans. It's segregated and one only needs to travel on the M4 to the games to see the exits and entrances of Cardiff City Stadium are designated.

"There are two local derbies – one is Bristol and the other is Swansea. On those days there is extreme vigilance to try and make sure people are separated and apart. You are told as a football fan you must go in designated areas where your team and supporters are to be housed. You're told to only buy tickets from your own club. The one thing you do not do is buy a ticket for the opposing end and go in there. If that does happen one can only imagine if you have a Swansea City top it may invite an incident.”

In response Judge Lucy Crowther said: "Everybody in court needs to understand whatever rules and regulations there are that does not justify someone getting a kicking because two supporters decide they don't like them sitting there and that's what those men did – they gave him a kicking."

Continuing his mitigation Mr Taylor said both of his clients both "hold their heads in shame" over their conduct and bitterly regret their actions. He said Cory Jones was due to become a father for the fourth time and had served in the Royal Welch Guards but was discharged on medical grounds after suffering a traumatic incident. He said Steven Jones has a young child and works to support his family. The barrister said the brothers had lost their mother not long before the assault and "drank too much" on the day of the match.

Sentencing, Judge Crowther told the brothers she would not be sending them to prison. She added: "You saw [the victim], leapt over rows of seats, and subjected him to a barrage of blows to his face and his head. He couldn't protect himself against the two of you...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff fans give Swan fan a kick in

Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 pm

Sentencing, Judge Crowther told the brothers she would not be sending them to prison.

She added: "You saw [the victim], leapt over rows of seats, and subjected him to a barrage of blows to his face and his head. He couldn't protect himself against the two of you...

"It must have been terrifying for people there, not least the security guards who stepped in to stop what was happening. Even when they did that you could not and would not stop. The assault lasted several minutes and it's remarkable he was not more seriously injured."

Cardiff City fans Cory Jones (left) and Steven Jones (right) attacked Swansea City fan Samuel Evans after he celebrated a goal at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Steven Jones was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment suspended for two years and Cory Jones was sentenced to 15 months imprisonment suspended for two years. Both were made subject to football banning orders for five years.

Cory Jones was made subject to a 23-day rehabilitation activity requirement and a 120-day alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement and must complete 180 hours of unpaid work and pay compensation of £500. Steven Jones was made subject to a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement and 120-day alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement and must complete 12 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £500 in compensation and £500 in costs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff fans give Swan fan a kick in

Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm

Got what’s coming to him for being in the home end and celebrating the goal.

What did he expect?

Re: Two Cardiff fans give Swan fan a kick in, in the home en

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:04 pm

Very feeble statement also.. didn’t have a smidge of anxiety when he bought the ticket. And those two have educated him.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:14 pm

Why the need to mention that the two boys were wearing Stone Island hoodies , totally irrelevant.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:16 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:Why the need to mention that the two boys were wearing Stone Island hoodies , totally irrelevant.

I thought the same Joff???

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:17 pm

Replies:

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
Why the need to mention that the two boys were wearing Stone Island hoodies , totally irrelevant.

It’s profiling a person for what they are wearing, not sure in any other context it would be mentioned in litigation.
Last edited by Mr Ducie on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Weird to mention what they were wearing? Wonder if they do that with all the fights in the city centre on the weekend?
Also….exactly the same would happen if one of us had jumped up and revealed a ccfc top in the east stand….. :old:

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm

Replies:

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:Why the need to mention that the two boys were wearing Stone Island hoodies , totally irrelevant.
That’s a good point, true there’s no need.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:27 pm

I'm not condoning their action but I have little sympathy for the Jack. What an idiot.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:40 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

It’s profiling a person for what they are wearing, not sure in any other context it would be mentioned in litigation.

If remember rightly fans were identified by clothes they wore in years gone by.... burberry was one that springs to mind? Didn't city fans have a clothes brand that was associated with them?

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:59 pm

This stinks on many levels. Your bang to rights for FRV and in a stadium you must be mad, however tempting (I'm an old git BTW and it was just the norm back then, no big deal).

But you've now broken the law big time. FRV punishment is much heavier than a "street fight". The jack in the this case also broke the law in my opinion by knowingly inviting and inciting risk of violence by knowing that in FRV law, he could get away with his Instagrammable wannabee bravado. He knew this was a bubble and it's that for a reason. To stop potential violence or trouble. Yet he chose to be clever and flout this, got a ticket in the home end and had his arse handed to him. What did he expect?! And to my mind, why also did he reveal his Swansea shirt and celebrate? If he was that desperate for a ticket and had a single brain cell, he wouldn't have. He knew what he was doing and thought he was billy big bollocks.

I think he was a naive tool and trying to take the piss but it backfired, as he knows the law and didn't expect any comeback. I saw the vid at the time and he knew what was he was doing. All the gear and no idea.

It would be like me buying a home ticket in the Den for false bravado, celebrating when we scored and assuming there would be no consequence as nobody would attack me for fear of the law. Feck that.

And the piece also sites SI. No surprise as it's a other opportunity for the parasitic weak media to get clicks by labelling all football fans as thugs for cheap clicks.

There are far more good news stories of the 'football family' than bad, no matter what 'gear' we are wearing, but the gutless woke weak crank media choose to demonise their national sport for cheap clicks.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:16 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:This stinks on many levels. Your bang to rights for FRV and in a stadium you must be mad, however tempting (I'm an old git BTW and it was just the norm back then, no big deal).

But you've now broken the law big time. FRV punishment is much heavier than a "street fight". The jack in the this case also broke the law in my opinion by knowingly inviting and inciting risk of violence by knowing that in FRV law, he could get away with his Instagrammable wannabee bravado. He knew this was a bubble and it's that for a reason. To stop potential violence or trouble. Yet he chose to be clever and flout this, got a ticket in the home end and had his arse handed to him. What did he expect?! And to my mind, why also did he reveal his Swansea shirt and celebrate? If he was that desperate for a ticket and had a single brain cell, he wouldn't have. He knew what he was doing and thought he was billy big bollocks.

I think he was a naive tool and trying to take the piss but it backfired, as he knows the law and didn't expect any comeback. I saw the vid at the time and he knew what was he was doing. All the gear and no idea.

It would be like me buying a home ticket in the Den for false bravado, celebrating when we scored and assuming there would be no consequence as nobody would attack me for fear of the law. Feck that.

And the piece also sites SI. No surprise as it's a other opportunity for the parasitic weak media to get clicks by labelling all football fans as thugs for cheap clicks.

There are far more good news stories of the 'football family' than bad, no matter what 'gear' we are wearing, but the gutless woke weak crank media choose to demonise their national sport for cheap clicks.

Spot on.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:57 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:This stinks on many levels. Your bang to rights for FRV and in a stadium you must be mad, however tempting (I'm an old git BTW and it was just the norm back then, no big deal).

Spot on.

100%. Seconded.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:19 am

The Jack should of been nicked as well for violent disorder.
I can see he has done a deal here with OB and testified against Cardiff to get him self off, grass.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:23 am

He shouldn't have been there in the city end.

The jack should be banned for inciting violence, he knew there was that possibility and he still did it

Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:47 pm

Before segregation I found myself in the home end on more than one occasion. You keep your head down and if city scored you contained your joy, not jump up and down like a lunatic, he deserved a dig.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Two Cardiff City fans attacked a Swansea City fan and "gave him a kicking" in the stands after he celebrated a last-minute winning goal in the Cardiff end. The hooligans punched, kicked, and stamped on the victim in an attack caught on camera.

Both pleaded guilty in Crown Court.

Tuesday 12th March 2024

Brothers Cory Jones, 28, and Steven Jones, 34, made a beeline for Swansea City fan Samuel Evans who attended the south Wales derby at the Cardiff City Stadium in Cardiff on April 1 last year. Mr Evans had bought a ticket for the match in the Cardiff end having been unable to purchase one in the away end.

A sentencing hearing at Cardiff Crown Court on Tuesday heard Mr Evans "instinctively" celebrated a winning Swansea goal in the 99th minute and revealed his Swansea City shirt in the process. As a result the Jones brothers climbed over a number of seats and began raining punches down upon their victim.

Mobile phone and CCTV footage was played to the court by prosecutor Alice Sykes in which the defendants delivered a number of blows to Mr Evans, who had gone to the floor. Steven Jones began the initial attack before Cory Jones weighed in and stamped, kicked, and punched the victim.

Stewards attempted to separate the two sets of fans but as they attempted to move Mr Evans the defendants pursued him and continued to throw punches. The footage showed Mr Evans falling down stairs in the stand but this was not down to the defendants.

After the match both Cory and Steven Jones, who donned Stone Island hoodies, could be seen hugging friends and joking. Mr Evans was taken to hospital to receive treatment for injuries including a haematoma to the back of his head and a red mark to his abdomen.

In a victim personal statement Mr Evans said: "The first few days after the incident I couldn't sleep very well and the thought of going to away games makes me scared. I am anxious of going to places with opposing teams and crowds of fans..... I am scared and anxious to go to away games and I haven't been to one since.... I am anxious about bumping into the defendants and anxious about what would happen if they recognised me."

Steven Jones, of Morris Avenue, Penrhiwceiber, Mountain Ash, and Cory Jones, of Milbourne Street, Abercynon, were arrested after being identified on CCTV footage and later pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray. Cory Jones has a conviction for driving offences and Steven Jones has a conviction for criminal damage.

In mitigation defence barrister Andrew Taylor said: "I have a confession – from the age of eight I started watching Cardiff City and I am more cursed than blessed in that regard. For those of us who have been to football matches violence is always serious and the police do sterling work to try and prevent it and things are put in place to reduce areas of conflict.

"The main stadium in Cardiff has a designated area for away fans. It's segregated and one only needs to travel on the M4 to the games to see the exits and entrances of Cardiff City Stadium are designated.

"There are two local derbies – one is Bristol and the other is Swansea. On those days there is extreme vigilance to try and make sure people are separated and apart. You are told as a football fan you must go in designated areas where your team and supporters are to be housed. You're told to only buy tickets from your own club. The one thing you do not do is buy a ticket for the opposing end and go in there. If that does happen one can only imagine if you have a Swansea City top it may invite an incident.”

In response Judge Lucy Crowther said: "Everybody in court needs to understand whatever rules and regulations there are that does not justify someone getting a kicking because two supporters decide they don't like them sitting there and that's what those men did – they gave him a kicking."

Continuing his mitigation Mr Taylor said both of his clients both "hold their heads in shame" over their conduct and bitterly regret their actions. He said Cory Jones was due to become a father for the fourth time and had served in the Royal Welch Guards but was discharged on medical grounds after suffering a traumatic incident. He said Steven Jones has a young child and works to support his family. The barrister said the brothers had lost their mother not long before the assault and "drank too much" on the day of the match.

Sentencing, Judge Crowther told the brothers she would not be sending them to prison. She added: "You saw [the victim], leapt over rows of seats, and subjected him to a barrage of blows to his face and his head. He couldn't protect himself against the two of you...
Build them a statue outside the ground :twisted:

Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:31 pm

Video

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... ommunities

Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:39 pm

To try to prove the brand as thuggish. Which is why bouncers etc use it as an excuse to stop people entering pubs etc

Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:44 pm

Exactly been practically saying same on twitter. Where u have people saying. Football thugs etc. Even got 1 guy replying to me that he went to watch Barcelona vs Grenada and fans sat together etc. Like that's a comparison to Cardiff v Swansea atmosphere. Clown

Re: VIDEO: SWANSEA FAN IN CARDIFF END GETS A KICK IN

Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:38 pm

I don't know one Swansea fans that thought their guy was clever or brave. Not one bit of sympathy has been shown to him.

Of course if he walked out of there without a mark then he would have become a legend just like the Ginger Ninja did.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:21 pm

Looking for two more fans involved in attack.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If remember rightly fans were identified by clothes they wore in years gone by.... burberry was one that springs to mind? Didn't city fans have a clothes brand that was associated with them?

They did Al.. in the 70s, it was a donkey jacket with NCB stamped on the back.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:05 am

Embarrassing. Is that what we are now two on to one. What brave big man they are. Mind you they wouldn’t be able to beat anyone on they own what a couple of wet lettuces.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 am

I am not a fan of violence .
Very silly to be in the home end .
He was lucky the 2 that set upon him couldn’t punch their way out of a wet paper bag. - pathetic behaviour all around .

Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:49 am

What did he expect a massage with a happy ending. Idiot.