Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Callum O’Dowda: “ Mentally it was hard And “

Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 am

After scoring the winner v Ipswich Town:

Callum O’Dowda:

"That was special," he said. "It's probably the best moment I have had in a Cardiff City shirt, 100 per cent.

"It makes it even more special after being out for six months or so. The build-up, the whole journey I have had, coming back from the injury and having a little setback, I couldn't write it."

The problem started for the attacker even before the season had started, he added. "In pre-season I felt a bit of discomfort," explained the Irishman.

"I didn't really think anything of it. I am probably the type just to get on with it, but I probably should have disclosed it to the medical team and put my foot down. After the first four games, playing in a lot of pain, I had a scan and had an operation on a couple of things. It was hard, quite testing.”

"But credit to the medical team. They have been really diligent with me, very persistent, dealing with my mood swings."

The testing period both physically and mentally was helped by the use of life coach Jamie Edwards, the 27-cap international revealed.

"Mentally it was hard watching the lads and itching to get back out there, so I am just happy I can contribute to this team," he added.

"There's more to me than football I'd like to think, but it is a massive part of my life. When you are not doing it, you feel like an impostor. Mentally it was testing.

"I live here on my own. That makes it difficult, especially early on when I was accepting how long I was going to be out for. It was tough. But I am open and honest. I express my feelings. I work with a really good life coach 24 hours a day and he has helped massively.”

"I have worked with him in good times and bad, on the field and off the field. He will come and visit me or I will visit him.

"I think it's important. He has been with me on this journey all these years and he knows everything about me.

"He has helped me massively. I think it's important you look after yourself physically and you look after yourself mentally."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Callum O’Dowda: “ Mentally it was hard And “

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:11 am

Good on him for being so honest. I know I’m guilty of thinking footballers are a pampered bunch but it takes a bit of bravery to be upfront about what he was going through. You could see the release of emotion in that goal throughout the whole team. He could be very useful in this run in.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:45 am

Warwickshire Bluebird wrote:Good on him for being so honest. I know I’m guilty of thinking footballers are a pampered bunch but it takes a bit of bravery to be upfront about what he was going through. You could see the release of emotion in that goal throughout the whole team. He could be very useful in this run in.

He is one of our best players and seems like a really decent bloke too :bluebird:

Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 pm

Good to see him back :thumbup: