Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Academy Rules - 16 year olds

Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:13 pm

Can anyone tell me what the rules are about CCFC signing 16 year olds

Can we sign who we want our are there restrictions?

Re: Academy Rules - 16 year olds

Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:27 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:Can anyone tell me what the rules are about CCFC signing 16 year olds

Can we sign who we want our are there restrictions?

Paul took a look and best Can do is have to be 17 to sign professional contract ... under that age can sign scholarship deals which varies in value and gives clubs some security for educating and training youngsters if get porched....but there are supposed to be strict rules regarding under 16 but clubs try to get around things.. man c under investigation for breaking such rules along with othe big clubs ! So to answer you yes can sign 16yr old but not with professional contract and as long as comply to rules set out by fifa regarding youngsters educational and social welfare its very complex unless kid is from your area ....

Example
Jadon Sancho is an example of a player moving between clubs before signing a pro contract ...

'Jordan Sancho joined Watford at the age of seven.[11] Due to issues with commuting across London to the club's academy, he moved into accommodation provided by Watford and began attending their partner school Harefield Academy as a boarder, aged 11.

At the age of 14, he moved to Manchester City in March 2015 for an initial fee of £66,000 under the EPPP, potentially rising to £500,000 with add ons'

Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:33 am

Cheers for that. Reason I asked was that I was looking back on football manager 2018 and was looking at how many of those players "made it" and how much are they worth now.

Players you could potentially pick up for £100k are worth millions now. Back then a certain 16 year old Haaland was worth £30k

Investment in our youth system could prove beneficial

Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:42 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Cheers for that. Reason I asked was that I was looking back on football manager 2018 and was looking at how many of those players "made it" and how much are they worth now.

Players you could potentially pick up for £100k are worth millions now. Back then a certain 16 year old Haaland was worth £30k

Investment in our youth system could prove beneficial

Believe it or not, we were actually monitoring Haaland when he was in Norway. Obviously once there was interest from the Red Bull group, we had no chance.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:56 am

Book on academies runs to 107 pages! And basically it mirrors adult set up with the amount
of professional staff required to be approved..... What we don't hear about is good youngsters taken before they sign at academies giggs is classic example of how big teams take them early before clubs can put them on scholarships.... think criticism of club is unfair and doesn't reflect on fact that what do you class as successful? Selling for millions or getting professional contract,..... only very small amount outside big 6 make a name for themselves others become journeymen players in the leagues..... but will say club are going in right direction with new facilities all need now is the expertise and talent to run it... we have lost highly talented staff to premier league past 3 years (Hughes is one)
For what it's worth every academy player that makes 1st team is a success as that's what academies are there for and not to supply premier league clubs.