Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nat Phillips & Wilson-Esbrand

Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:21 pm

I think the club should be looking at signing players like this, young players that are decent but unlikely to break into the first team at their parent clubs. That's what Whitts was Chropa, Bennet etc...this is where bargins are found. It was unfortunate we had the transfer embargo when Phillogen was available in my opinion.
Just wondering if others think we may have a chance of signing these two in the summer? Or if you would even want to? It's a yes and yes from me obviously if the price was right.

Re: Nat Phillips & Wilson-Esbrand

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:24 pm

I just feel these type of players come to clubs like us to put themselves in the shop window.

They are better players than what we have and they know they are going to get play time. Saying that I think they will struggle to get in the teams they are targeting like the Leeds, Leicester and Southampton who all have strong squads already.

We will need to show some serious ambition if we wants to keep them.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:56 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I just feel these type of players come to clubs like us to put themselves in the shop window.

They are better players than what we have and they know they are going to get play time. Saying that I think they will struggle to get in the teams they are targeting like the Leeds, Leicester and Southampton who all have strong squads already.

We will need to show some serious ambition if we wants to keep them.

What I like about players like these is they have potential and they could also be investments due to sell on value in the future. For example if we bought kieffer Moore for 3m he scores a few goals but the money is gone, you pay 3m for Wilson-Esbrand (if that) and he could be worth 7-10m even more in future. I believe its a good way of doing business at this level. A lot of our best players in the past have come from this way of doing things.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:28 pm

Don't rate either of them yet tbh.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:12 pm

I rate Phillips but he'll be out of our price range
Wilson Brand is a strange one, great skill and importantly so much beter than Collins but not sure what his position and he isn't quick

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:24 pm

I think Phillips has been outstanding in the last 3 games.

The problem is that he’s probably out of our price range but if we can afford him then he’s class at this level.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:25 pm

Hes great Philips reckon 3-5 mil will get him

Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:02 pm

Estraban thought he was awful today supposed to have pace and our outlet never went past anyone and defensively as in other games liability.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:11 pm

Two very good players.

Wilson-Esbrand could stay within the Man City system or their affiliates for a few years and go on loan to other clubs a few times. He won’t ever make it for their first team but we could find it difficult to get him back.

Nat Phillips’ situation is a bit different. He has had a number of loans in recent years - Stuttgart, Bournemouth, Celtic and now us.

He will be 27 next month as well. He’s never going to get into the Liverpool team ahead of Van Dijk, Konate, Gomez etc.

So I think we could sign him permanently for a fair fee.

He will want a permanent move at this stage of his career. If he enjoys his loan with us, that permanent move could be to us.

I think we should do whatever it takes to sign him, he’s already shown he’s class at this level.

A back five next season of Horvath, Ng, Goutas, Phillips and O’Dowda/new LB would be strong.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:29 am

I would definitely try to sign Phillips if we can afford it, as he reads the game very well, and has a good football brain. With regards to Wilson-Esbrand it is a different matter, and I would that he is no better than Collins, and that is saying something. In fact, they are similar styles with both extremely one footed and constantly out of position. Yesterday, W-E had a chance to attack their full back on the outside a few times, but instead he stopped, did a Collins, and left footed, passed it back 20 yards. In fact, in the short time he was on, Collins produced more runs. What Man City saw in him, I don’t know!

Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:45 am

1950 wrote:I would definitely try to sign Phillips if we can afford it, as he reads the game very well, and has a good football brain. With regards to Wilson-Esbrand it is a different matter, and I would that he is no better than Collins, and that is saying something. In fact, they are similar styles with both extremely one footed and constantly out of position. Yesterday, W-E had a chance to attack their full back on the outside a few times, but instead he stopped, did a Collins, and left footed, passed it back 20 yards. In fact, in the short time he was on, Collins produced more runs. What Man City saw in him, I don’t know!

Esbrand I thought showed a glimpse of what he's capable of when he ran with the ball into Bristol's 18 yard box, he had them on the back foot, showed some good foot work, it resulted in the corner we scored from, if I remember correctly. Made me think could this guy also potentially play LW? He's young I thought he did OK considering we were away in a derby game. I felt more uncomfortable when Collins came on.