Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BodyBuilding/Weight Lifting

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm

anyone here do it or know a place that does in cardiff?

decided i want to start and just need to be shown the ropes and dietry needs etc

Re: BodyBuilding/Weight Lifting

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 pm

There is only one man to ask for things like this...
ELY BOY

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 pm

ive asked a few times but nothing happens

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:41 pm

tidy gym at the end of newport road, behind matalan, think its called peak physique - proper bodybuilding gym.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:45 pm

GarethBrad wrote:tidy gym at the end of newport road, behind matalan, think its called peak physique - proper bodybuilding gym.

somone else pointed that out http://www.peak-physique.co.uk/ :ayatollah:

will give them a go :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:46 pm

GarethBrad wrote:tidy gym at the end of newport road, behind matalan, think its called peak physique - proper bodybuilding gym.

That is full of roiders, you don't want to go there.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 pm

:D

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:15 pm

just go to a local run leisure centre where you will get a full induction etc , see if you like it then maybe move to a bodybuilding gym, personally all they do is lift weights way to heavy for em grunt an groan an pose! stick with local gym otherwise you will end up like that cock andrew twose

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Ben wrote:

The owner is one of my friends. It's a proper bodybuilding gym.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 pm

What is your aim Ben? General fitness, fitness for a sport, body-building comp?

What is your fitness experience? Are you just changing your fitness aims from a sport like football or are you a complete beginner?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Ben wrote:

My company do the accounts for them, and our office is next to the gym... they do all the strong man comps in the summer!!

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

ackers1927 wrote:What is your aim Ben? General fitness, fitness for a sport, body-building comp?

What is your fitness experience? Are you just changing your fitness aims from a sport like football or are you a complete beginner?

not a complete beginner, i play and train football 4 times a week, and inbetween abit of running and swiming, i was training for the marines and running 10 miles every other night, so i know i can lose a few stone if needed, been fluctuating (sp) between weights for the past 5 years, from 18 stone, down to 13 etc lol

just wanna basically get a chest going, with big arms and a flat stomach! so i can take my top off in the summer without having to worry about flab lol and to eat the right foods to achieve this etc

its all in place, just need to lose a stone or two and tone!!! and if it all goes well just to keep going see what happens :lol:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Claire wrote:
Ben wrote:

The owner is one of my friends. It's a proper bodybuilding gym.

tidy, thanks for that, that maybe my first port of call :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Reading that Ben you are very active and just need to put some structure to your training week and program.

For your weight session I would say to start off with a full body workout. Pick a weight that you can lift 10 reps for each exercise. Have a min rest before more to the next exercise. Eg

5 min warm up then
Squats, Bench Press or Chest Press, Seated Row, Shoulder Press, Arm Curl, Triceps pressdown,
5 min cool down
Do this 2 to 3 times a week for 3 weeks then change it.
I would also have a go at shortening you running distance and change it to a interval running session. Eg

10min jogging warm up then 1 min fast 2 min recovery (walking or jog) for a total of 10mins then 10 min jog cool down. Then increase the work phase as you get fitter. This will be more sports specific to football than just running mile after mile.

Use your swimming as a active rest session and just swim to loosen up best day to do this is the day before your football match or the day after a hard training session.

As for food cut down processed food, increase water and the one that let's me down cut down on sugary drinks(alcohol)

Hope this helps and makes sense as iam on my phone in work.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm

[quote="ackers1927"]Reading that Ben you are very active and just need to put some structure to your training week and program.

For your weight session I would say to start off with a full body workout. Pick a weight that you can lift 10 reps for each exercise. Have a min rest before more to the next exercise. Eg

5 min warm up then
Squats, Bench Press or Chest Press, Seated Row, Shoulder Press, Arm Curl, Triceps pressdown,
5 min cool down
Do this 2 to 3 times a week for 3 weeks then change it.
I would also have a go at shortening you running distance and change it to a interval running session. Eg

10min jogging warm up then 1 min fast 2 min recovery (walking or jog) for a total of 10mins then 10 min jog cool down. Then increase the work phase as you get fitter. This will be more sports specific to football than just running mile after mile.

Use your swimming as a active rest session and just swim to loosen up best day to do this is the day before your football match or the day after a hard training session.

As for food cut down processed food, increase water and the one that let's me down cut down on sugary drinks(alcohol)

im worn out just reading that,,,,,,,, think i will go and have a lye down :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm

I lift Strongbow. My one-pack is well tidy. :lol:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 pm

http://www.t-nation.com/

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:57 pm

You can check this website http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net to know more about Body Building and Weight Lifting. I hope that will help.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Ben wrote:
ackers1927 wrote:What is your aim Ben? General fitness, fitness for a sport, body-building comp?

just wanna basically get a chest going, with big arms and a flat stomach! so i can take my top off in the summer without having to worry about flab lol and to eat the right foods to achieve this

You dont need big arms and a flat sromach to take ya shirt off Ben!

.....and just remember lad the bigger the chest, the bigger the shirt, the bigger the weight.

Eat kebabs, drink beer, shit BIG!

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Why not buy a bench & some weights & start out at home? Too many of these gyms are for showboaters, me & my mate used to live for training but the mirrormen in the gyms used to irratate, lot prefered the workouts at home away from all that bullshit.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I used to do it 14 years ago. Still love the sport and still retain a lot of knowledge if i say so myself :lol: :lol: i wish my body could take another crack but its fooked :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: And i also cry for the physique i used to have :cry:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 am

How much weight should I start lifting? I recently got myself a second hand set of dumbbells and barbells. I'm 25, fairly strong but I've never done weight lifting such as this before. I've moved furniture and such, but this is different. How much should I start lifting on either set and about how often and how much should I be increasing the weight? Any tips for how much lifting to do in a day is also appreciated.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 am

richtera wrote:How much weight should I start lifting? I recently got myself a second hand set of dumbbells and barbells. I'm 25, fairly strong but I've never done weight lifting such as this before. I've moved furniture and such, but this is different. How much should I start lifting on either set and about how often and how much should I be increasing the weight? Any tips for how much lifting to do in a day is also appreciated.

Start of slow it dosent matter how strong you are you will be isolating different muscle groups. But start off with basic core excersises like for your chest bench press and your legs start of with machine excersises. Don't start doing thing
welshcitydragon
s like cable cross overs as they are for definition. The gym will be able to guide you but get a feel for the excersises and learn what does what muscle group. Warm up properly and keep it very light to start with as it isn't how much you lift it's the form that counts with bodybuilding. Go with someone who knows what they are doing and most of all enjoy it.
Its like a drug you are sculpturing your body . Good luck fella.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Ben wrote:anyone here do it or know a place that does in cardiff?

decided i want to start and just need to be shown the ropes and dietry needs etc

if your starting out mate, I wouldnt recomend going to the one behind matalan they are all serious/advanced, get yourself into any gym (half decent fitness first maybe or a non council one at least)

Protein shakes on top of your high protein diet are a MUST! two a day you will notice a big difference in your training especially if you struggle to gain size ''how old are you'' ?

build yourself a foundation 2-4 weeks just lifting 8-10 reps for 3 to 5 sets 4 days a week legs once so 5

lets your muscles adapt and get a bit more firm, eat well, lean meat plenty of protein you need some fats aswel and carbohydrates, so try balance your diet look it up.
you can then look at maybe using other substances thats your call.. if you wana go down that path

and if your serious about body building , you could be looking at anything from 3 months to 2 years to get yourself conditioned and shaped for it, (depending on your advancements