Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City/Brighton relegation face-off: what will happen

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am

The Cardiff City v Brighton relegation face-off: what will happen over the next 25 days

By Matthew Davies

Thursday 18th April 2019

Cardiff City's Neil Warnock and Brighton's Chris Hughton are going head to head to avoid relegation from the Premier League
Let's not beat about the bush here.

Cardiff City seemed almost destined for relegation after yet another controversial defeat, this time to Burnley, last weekend.

Down on their luck, yes.

Down in the literal sense? No chance.

Neil Warnock took his charges to the Amex to face Brighton and duly came away with three precious - and deserved - points.

There is still a long way to go in this battle. Twists and turns are still very much expected.

But momentum counts for a great deal at the business end of the season and you would rather be in Cardiff's position - some wind in their sails and a few factors on their side.

This is what we think will happen over the next 25 days - a period that will play a part in shaping the club's short and long-term future.

THE CURRENT SITUATION

Brighton's run-in (33 points)

April 20: Wolves (A)

April 23: Tottenham (A)

April 27: Newcastle (H)

May 4: Arsenal (A)

May 12: Man City (H)

Cardiff City's run-in (31 points)

April 21: Liverpool (H)

April 27: Fulham (A)

May 4: Crystal Palace (H)

May 12: Man Utd (A)

So there we have it. Brighton are two points better off than Cardiff and have a game in hand over the Bluebirds.

Both teams play this weekend - the Seagulls away to Wolves on Saturday and Cardiff welcoming Liverpool to South Wales on Sunday.

Cardiff welcome Liverpool this weekend

Chris Hughton's side have the advantage of playing first and, one must admit, the easier opposition of the two. However, Wolves are far from pushovers. Indeed, they have been on the teams of the season in the top flight. Their free-flowing football could tear Brighton apart at the best of times - let alone when they are in a morale-sapping rut.

Cardiff are unlikely to get anything from Jurgen Klopp's side, who have eyes on their own prize - a first Premier League title.

Verdict: As you were. Brighton 33pts, Cardiff 31pts

THE GAME IN HAND

Next Tuesday sees Brighton head to Tottenham.

Spurs in their new stadium is a different proposition to Wembley - and they were pretty good in their temporary home, too.

Mauricio Pochettino needs Champions League football next season to help bankroll the move to their modern surroundings and thus will be desperate to add another three points to their tally.

You can only see a Spurs win.

Verdict: Same again. Brighton 33pts, Cardiff 31pts

CARDIFF'S FIRST BIG CHANCE

Cardiff City head to Craven Cottage with a golden chance to make up ground
The weekend of April 27 is absolutely massive for Warnock. This is a genuine chance for Cardiff to get their noses in front and climb out of the bottom three.

Brighton are at home against a Newcastle side with little to play for, granted, but places mean pounds in the Premier League and Rafa Benitez, amid much speculation about his St James' Park future, will be gunning for a strong finish to the campaign.

A draw perhaps?

Warnock takes his side to already-relegated Fulham. Three points is a must at Craven Cottage and it should happen - the Cottagers have been appalling this season, despite the £100million-plus splashed on players.

Verdict: Bluebirds make ground. Brighton 34pts, Cardiff 34pts. Brighton remain ahead on goal difference.

THE SLIDING DOORS MOMENT

Neil Warnock embraces Roy Hodgson (Image: Getty Images)
The penultimate round of fixtures presents Cardiff with their second major opportunity to preserve their top-flight status.

Brighton are away at Arsenal, who, like Spurs are in desperate need for that top-four spot, and with Unai Emery's side almost unbeatable at home, Brighton will come away empty handed from North London.

Cardiff host Warnock's old team Crystal Palace and with many Eagles fans jokingly predicting that the tea lady and cook will line up against the Bluebirds, this is the chance to pull away.

Verdict: Cardiff leapfrog Seagulls. Brighton 34pts, Cardiff 37pts.

LAST-DAY DRAMA?

Probably not. Well, not in terms of shock results, anyway.

Brighton host Man City - who will no doubt still be going toe-to-toe with Liverpool for the title.

Cardiff head to Old Trafford to face Man Utd, who may well still be in the Champions League qualification mix. No favours expected from Ole.

Verdict: Same as. Brighton 34pts, Cardiff 37pts. The Bluebirds stay up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City/Brighton relegation face-off: what will hap

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am

Looking at that I have butterflies, we need 2 wins at Fulham and Palace IMO, it will be squeaky bum time if we only manage a draw at Fulham hoping we can beat Palace.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am

born-to-be-blue wrote:Looking at that I have butterflies, we need 2 wins at Fulham and Palace IMO, it will be squeaky bum time if we only manage a draw at Fulham hoping we can beat Palace.

I think if they don’t pick up anything from Wolves or Newcastle I’d go as far as saying that would makes us favourites to stay up.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
born-to-be-blue wrote:Looking at that I have butterflies, we need 2 wins at Fulham and Palace IMO, it will be squeaky bum time if we only manage a draw at Fulham hoping we can beat Palace.

I think if they don’t pick up anything from Wolves or Newcastle I’d go as far as saying that would makes us favourites to stay up.

Think I agree, if they get 4 points from wolves and Newcastle we are gone due to goal difference. If they lose to wolves on Saturday it’s game on , Fulham will be huge for us. This of course assumes all fixtures against the big 6 run there expected course.

It’s not inconceivable that they don’t win another game, they’re on a dire run . Similar sent the jacks down last season and others in the past .