Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VAR - How many more points would we have ???

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 am

VAR worked well yesterday, the big club (Man City) would have gone through yesterday, it struck me how many bad decisions would have been reversed over the season?

At least four more points from Chelsea and Burnley for a start, so I reckon over a season 10 points or more???

Re: VAR - How many more points would we have ???

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am

none.probably just have a worse goal difference as it favours the big clubs massively....its the biggest pile of dung ever thought out..
Pep is moaning this morning as will each and every moron that thinks its technology...its not..its a worse ref watching tv and getting more wrong than the proper refs.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am

Every single VAR decision last night was spot on. I think it was brilliant.
In regards to our season the two games you’ve mentioned, also Watford home at 1-0 down could have been an extra point. But we could still have gone on to lose that. I’m sure there’s a fair few more, especially fouls on Mozza from corners/free kicks. But will VAR be looking at stuff like that. And don’t forgot Sol’s winner against Brighton would have been ruled out.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Every single VAR decision last night was spot on. I think it was brilliant.
In regards to our season the two games you’ve mentioned, also Watford home at 1-0 down could have been an extra point. But we could still have gone on to lose that. I’m sure there’s a fair few more, especially fouls on Mozza from corners/free kicks. But will VAR be looking at stuff like that. And don’t forgot Sol’s winner against Brighton would have been ruled out.

I didn't think so and pep did not either...there is no such thing as spot on with this ..its all opinions….
and those that realise its opinion and others who would swallow that emperors magic coat storey

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Every single VAR decision last night was spot on. I think it was brilliant.

Agreed they got both the decisions right, and would not have done so without VAR, most sensible people would realise that it worked yesterday, and it will massively improve the accuracy of key decisions, this will give all of the smaller teams a slightly better chance of staying up :thumbup:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am

dogfound wrote:

I didn't think so and pep did not either...there is no such thing as spot on with this ..its all opinions….
and those that realise its opinion and others who would swallow that emperors magic coat storey

f**k Pep, he is only moaning because they lost, what do you expect him to say, oh well we lost but at least VAR made the correct decisions, and it would have been unfair to have won by default. :roll:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 am

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

f**k Pep, he is only moaning because they lost, what do you expect him to say, oh well we lost but at least VAR made the correct decisions, and it would have been unfair to have won by default. :roll:

ive been sayin f@@@ pep since he started this pro VAR nonsense...
that's my whole point...its something to moan about instead of the refs who although poor are a huge upgrade on the beaut in the box that's being introduced.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 am

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

that's my whole point...its something to moan about instead of the refs who although poor are a huge upgrade on the beaut in the box that's being introduced.

It's an improvement, the referee didn't see the handballs at Chelsea and the referee and linesman didn't see the blatant offside, VAR would have given the referee a chance to review both and their goal would have been disallowed and we would have had one or two penalties (Gunner fouled).

Niel Warnock can't wait for it because he knows it will benefit a team like Cardiff, and potentially cost teams like Man City who get everything !!!

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:53 am

probably about the same amount as Bamba's last minute winner at home to Brighton would have been ruled out (how big could that be) and I recon the huddersfield penalty that was then wasn't could well have been given. I'm not a big fan of VAR but I have to say both decisions last night were correct.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It's an improvement, the referee didn't see the handballs at Chelsea and the referee and linesman didn't see the blatant offside, VAR would have given the referee a chance to review both and their goal would have been disallowed and we would have had one or two penalties (Gunner fouled).

Niel Warnock can't wait for it because he knows it will benefit a team like Cardiff, and potentially cost teams like Man City who get everything !!!

I watched the world cup it ruined, and Warnock has said both his season. and by all means favour VAR but favour it for more breaks to go to toilet or fit extra adds in etc for gods sake don't do it as it might even things up against the big clubs...if the authorities thought its introduction would favour smaller clubs in anyway it really wouldn't have got off the drawing board..

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Bluebina wrote:VAR worked well yesterday, the big club (Man City) would have gone through yesterday, it struck me how many bad decisions would have been reversed over the season?

At least four more points from Chelsea and Burnley for a start, so I reckon over a season 10 points or more???

Have to remember VAR can work against you as well as for you. We would almost certainly have had our winner against Brighton in our home match ruled out. Imagine the difference that would have made. Two points less for us, one extra for Brighton. That would have meant we would have been almost relegated already.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:VAR worked well yesterday, the big club (Man City) would have gone through yesterday, it struck me how many bad decisions would have been reversed over the season?

Have to remember VAR can work against you as well as for you. We would almost certainly have had our winner against Brighton in our home match ruled out. Imagine the difference that would have made. Two points less for us, one extra for Brighton. That would have meant we would have been almost relegated already.

Not when you add in the double-figure decisions that have gone against us, everyone has been saying all season we've been hard done by, now it's mentioned in the context of VAR and people can only remember the one decision that went in our favour?

Persoannly |I think we would be safe by now !!!!

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:
Twice Morrison was held in the box and were clear penalties, and the foul on Zahore outside the box,not only a blatant red card,but was blatantly ignored by the officials, this game has not held the Premier league in a good light. The officials need to be ashamed of themselves and they should be disciplined. VAR should be made compulsory at all games. Cardiff should make an official complaint to the premier league, Chelsea are cheats !

Steve Zodiak » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:35 am
The worse decision was the offside goal. I agree about the holding in the box, but that has become the norm in recent years, and every team including us do it when corner kicks and free kicks are taken. Maybe VAR will stop all this holding on in the box. I think if VAR was in place yesterday, we would have come away with at least a point. Be ironic if we end up going down by one point or on goal difference.

hmmmm make your mind up ??

It would definitely benefit Cardiff City and any Neil Warnock team !!!

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I watched the world cup it ruined, and Warnock has said both his season. and by all means favour VAR but favour it for more breaks to go to toilet or fit extra adds in etc for gods sake don't do it as it might even things up against the big clubs...if the authorities thought its introduction would favour smaller clubs in anyway it really wouldn't have got off the drawing board..

I get that you don't like it fair enough that's up to you, but it would favour the smaller clubs because the refs have a bias towards the bigger clubs, the last sentence is bollocks and doesn't make sense, the decision to use VAR is because so many mistakes are being shown due to the fast pace of the game, football is trying to improve the standard of decisions made by allowing the referee another chance to see the incident and with the benefit of slow motion.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:
Twice Morrison was held in the box and were clear penalties, and the foul on Zahore outside the box,not only a blatant red card,but was blatantly ignored by the officials, this game has not held the Premier league in a good light. The officials need to be ashamed of themselves and they should be disciplined. VAR should be made compulsory at all games. Cardiff should make an official complaint to the premier league, Chelsea are cheats !

The worse decision was the offside goal. I agree about the holding in the box, but that has become the norm in recent years, and every team including us do it when corner kicks and free kicks are taken. Maybe VAR will stop all this holding on in the box. I think if VAR was in place yesterday, we would have come away with at least a point. Be ironic if we end up going down by one point or on goal difference.

sorry but your wrong..it will obviously favour who has the ball most...who is in the attacking half most ..and who has the most touches in the attacking penalty area the most...aint us mate..
and no VAR is not a THING its a ref not as good as the one on the park so how is he going to stop all holding jostling in the box ?..its either going to be as random as it is at present or we will be in stadiums for 3 hours.{ although the juve v ajax added 2 mins despite 5 subs ,a goal and VAR reviews ? }
my main gripe is ive enjoyed football for 50 years faults and all , football has grown and was continuing to grow so why fix it when its clearly not broken. especially over something that will still divide opinion on decisions but will defo further sanitise the game...City scored last night, the player that scored was not offside , the ground erupted only for the VAR review to pop up....it could be any club..could be ourselves..i think once its happened to you the likelihood of wild celebrations diminish and diminish again and again..

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:22 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:

sorry but your wrong..it will obviously favour who has the ball most...who is in the attacking half most ..and who has the most touches in the attacking penalty area the most...aint us mate..
and no VAR is not a THING its a ref not as good as the one on the park so how is he going to stop all holding jostling in the box ?..its either going to be as random as it is at present or we will be in stadiums for 3 hours.{ although the juve v ajax added 2 mins despite 5 subs ,a goal and VAR reviews ? }
my main gripe is ive enjoyed football for 50 years faults and all , football has grown and was continuing to grow so why fix it when its clearly not broken. especially over something that will still divide opinion on decisions but will defo further sanitise the game...City scored last night, the player that scored was not offside , the ground erupted only for the VAR review to pop up....it could be any club..could be ourselves..i think once its happened to you the likelihood of wild celebrations diminish and diminish again and again..

Rubbish the big teams are already attacking more and getting the 50/50's because the referees favour the big teams, if you really have been watching for 50 years surely you would know that?????

Yes it slows it down, and I understand that you don't like it because it stopped Man City celebrating the the offside goal which would have won them the game, but that would have been a massive injustice to the underdogs Spurs, as it wasn't a goal, and because of VAR they lost that advantage yesterday.

The same wuld have happened for us at Burnley and Chelsea, we would have had fairer decisions!!!

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:

I still feel the same as I did when I made the original post. If VAR was in place against Chelsea, we would have probably come away with at least a point, as we scored a perfectly legitimate goal which should not have even required technology to confirm. Be gutted if we go down because the ref and the linesman got that decision so wrong. However, if all our games had the benfit of VAR, I have no idea if we would be better or worse off. It would depend on which results were affected as to how the league table would look. Brighton would be a massive decision, because not only would we have lost points, Brighton would have gained at the same time making a bigger swing than us just gaining a point against one of the bigger teams who are we are not really competing against. Time will tell if it is a success, but with all the money in the modern game, something has to be done to try and help the officials get the correct decisions.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:

I still feel the same as I did when I made the original post. If VAR was in place against Chelsea, we would have probably come away with at least a point, as we scored a perfectly legitimate goal which should not have even required technology to confirm. Be gutted if we go down because the ref and the linesman got that decision so wrong. However, if all our games had the benfit of VAR, I have no idea if we would be better or worse off. It would depend on which results were affected as to how the league table would look. Brighton would be a massive decision, because not only would we have lost points, Brighton would have gained at the same time making a bigger swing than us just gaining a point against one of the bigger teams who are we are not really competing against. Time will tell if it is a success, but with all the money in the modern game, something has to be done to try and help the officials get the correct decisions.

Fair enough, good reply lets agree on the majority, an disagree on how it would have affected Cardiff :thumbup:

I think we would benefit more than most is because we get the most dogy decisions in the league, which we have had 100's of threads agreeing, possibly because they don't like Warnock because he doesn't really respect them and tells them how it is, and he has a preconceived reputation for being dirty.

Other factors are we are Welsh and have been shouting anti English chants and giving the referees and linesman dogs abuse for years, although we are much better now, they never forget, and partly because the refs don't know our players as new to the League and we are one of the smallest teams in the league based on budget, for those reasons, I think Cardiff City and any Warnock team would benefit from VAR.

In very recent weeks it could have changed the outcome at Watford, Chelsea and Burnley and probably most of the other games over the season...........

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Lorentè goal var did not see the angle from behind goal which showed ball hitting forearm 1st! Whats point of var if dont have full facts? Two refs had opposite views on goal based on this picture !! :shock: var will give goals and take them away but at end day its the interpretation of var officials that decides a goal not ref, only time ref makes decision is like last night he views screen thats of course they show him everything? :laughing6:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Lorentè goal var did not see the angle from behind goal which showed ball hitting forearm 1st! Whats point of var if dont have full facts? Two refs had opposite views on goal based on this picture !! :shock: var will give goals and take them away but at end day its the interpretation of var officials that decides a goal not ref, only time ref makes decision is like last night he views screen thats of course they show him everything? :laughing6:

I'm not sure how this will pan out Allan. I just hope it does not spoil the flow of the game, and that refs are not spending ages checking screens throughout the game. Like you say, a lot is down to interpretation. How often have we seen former refs having opposing views on things, even with the benefit of slow motion replays. I am keeping an open mind, one thing we know is that at the moment refs are not always getting the big decisions correct, so some form of outside help is probably needed. As you know, I continually stick up for the officials, and have had a dig at some forum members for blaming them every time we lose. Will be ironic if that terrible decision in the Chelsea game ultimately sends us down after all I have said. I still can't understand how they got that one so wrong.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Lorentè goal var did not see the angle from behind goal which showed ball hitting forearm 1st! Whats point of var if dont have full facts? Two refs had opposite views on goal based on this picture !! :shock: var will give goals and take them away but at end day its the interpretation of var officials that decides a goal not ref, only time ref makes decision is like last night he views screen thats of course they show him everything? :laughing6:

I'm not sure how this will pan out Allan. I just hope it does not spoil the flow of the game, and that refs are not spending ages checking screens throughout the game. Like you say, a lot is down to interpretation. How often have we seen former refs having opposing views on things, even with the benefit of slow motion replays. I am keeping an open mind, one thing we know is that at the moment refs are not always getting the big decisions correct, so some form of outside help is probably needed. As you know, I continually stick up for the officials, and have had a dig at some forum members for blaming them every time we lose. Will be ironic if that terrible decision in the Chelsea game ultimately sends us down after all I have said. I still can't understand how they got that one so wrong.

The big problem is the group of referees are getting too old and not as good as they once were. This means you have the same refs refereeing the big matches. If you referee 20 big matches a season, you’re going to make a mistake - that’s just natural.

Players are getting much more clever at winning fouls as well.

A few years ago the big matches were split between different referees a lot more. But now there are only a couple of refs who are getting the top games - due to the overall standard.

They have a thankless job and I’m all for VAR to help them out.

On the Llorente goal, I would argue that it wasn’t handball. His body is in a natural silhouette, and he’s trying to move his arm way from where the ball is going. I can’t imagine a penalty being given if a defender touched the ball like that.

Last night was of the greatest nights in the history of their club for Spurs fans. They would have been denied that if it wasn’t for VAR.

Will VAR get every decision spot on? Probably not. Will VAR mean there are more correct decisions than currently? 100%.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Steve! Chelsea decision just pure stupidity by linesman,
As for var in general its supposed to be for clear and obvious mistakes but its plain to see that var will look at anything in pen area and will make a decision if ref is even standing 2 ft away? As i said its var that makes decision not ref unless ref goes to screen . So ref Will no longer have say in whats a foul a handball ect ect var Will give it 99.9% of time is that right?

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Clubfortyfourer wrote:

Rubbish the big teams are already attacking more and getting the 50/50's because the referees favour the big teams, if you really have been watching for 50 years surely you would know that?????

Yes it slows it down, and I understand that you don't like it because it stopped Man City celebrating the the offside goal which would have won them the game, but that would have been a massive injustice to the underdogs Spurs, as it wasn't a goal, and because of VAR they lost that advantage yesterday.

The same wuld have happened for us at Burnley and Chelsea, we would have had fairer decisions!!!

yes and it didnt take 50 effing seconds of actually Watching the game to figure out thats the way it is and it really does not need adding too.
VAR is for super clubs.
as for last night id prefer Spurs to go through..was just being honest about how i saw it { not convinced VAR got the Lorentte call right either } some will agree some wont with or without the toilet stops..