Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Burnley fan now is now banned from the business hub

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 am

POLICE have interviewed a Burnley fan who posted offensive tweets regarding the death of Cardiff City signing Emiliano Sala.

Thursday 18th April 2019

Estate agent Gary Kay and his business were banned from the Turf Moor on Monday over the four-letter social media statements after the Clarets beat the Welsh club 2-0 in a crucial relegation battle on Saturday.

They referred to the drowning of the Argentinian forward after the light plane carrying him from Nantes to Cardiff to start his new career with the club crashed into the sea off the Channel Islands on January 21.

The ban from Turf Moor included his ‘hotdesk’ office in Burnley FC’s Business Hub.

Police launched an investigation into his 'allegedly malicious communications made on social media'.

The 36-year-old has now been voluntarily interviewed by officers.

The first tweet Mr Kay’s business Twitter account was an offensive reference to Mr Sala's death. Two further posts repeated the comment with the addition of a highly-offensive four-letter word.

On Sunday, Mr Kay deleted the tweets and apologised for his social media remarks the previous day.

On Monday Mr Kay was called into Burnley FC and given an immediate temporary ban from Turf Moor which includes his business.

A police spokesman said today: "In relation to recent comments made on social media following the Burnley FC and Cardiff FC match at Turf Moor, a 36-year-old man from Burnley was yesterday (Tuesday) voluntarily interviewed by police. An investigation is on-going."

Cardiff City FC spokesman said: "We have no comment to make on the matter.

Mr Kay today declined to comment.

The Cardiff City spokesman added: "Unfortunately similar things have happened involving other clubs this season, but we’re confident that such incidents are dealt with in the appropriate way by our counterparts at the clubs in question."

Re: Burnley fan now is now banned from the business hub

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:46 am

really do not understand anyone let alone people with quite a bit to lose putting these sort of things on social media.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

dogfound wrote:really do not understand anyone let alone people with quite a bit to lose putting these sort of things on social media.

Me neither. On the face of it a respectable, possibly middle class bloke with his own estate agency business...yet capable of displaying such anger and hatred. It's only football!! There are far more important things in the world to get angry about.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 am

moonboots wrote:
dogfound wrote:really do not understand anyone let alone people with quite a bit to lose putting these sort of things on social media.

Me neither. On the face of it a respectable, possibly middle class bloke with his own estate agency business...yet capable of displaying such anger and hatred. It's only football!! There are far more important things in the world to get angry about.

its not so much the anger, ive said some pretty shitty things in the heat of the moment...but to in effect publish them ?
I do not understand people putting videos /pictures up on you tube that can cause problems for mates or acquaintances either.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 am

moonboots wrote:

He's a tuppenny ha'penny letting and estate agent less than a year old. Hardly Richard Branson.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 pm

epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

He's a tuppenny ha'penny letting and estate agent less than a year old. Hardly Richard Branson.

Exactly and he will probably go bust with the bad publicity :wave:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm

epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I didn't say he was a Richard Branson. Just shocked that anyone can show such anger and hatred in a football context .

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Incredible too not think there would be repercussions , cannot see his business lasting long with the bad publicity.
I doubt he was sober when tweeting

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

moonboots wrote:
epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I didn't say he was a Richard Branson. Just shocked that anyone can show such anger and hatred in a football context .

I agree...and anyone who puts that kind of stuff out there deserves what comes of it! :thumbup:

As for epping blue's comment, it is is pretty irrelevant in its own context; but Gary Kay's business will more likely be affected by his own actions as a small 'local' business than it would as a major corporation, such as Branson's that can absorb the adverse publicity ;)

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Sven wrote:
moonboots wrote:
epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I agree...and anyone who puts that kind of stuff out there deserves what comes of it! :thumbup: and

As for epping blue's comment, it is is pretty irrelevant in its own context; but Gary Kay's business will more likely be affected by his own actions as a small 'local' business than it would as a major corporation, such as Branson's that can absorb the adverse publicity ;)

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be disparaging of small business. I have one myself. This bloke just comes across as an arse.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 pm

epping blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
moonboots wrote:
epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I agree...and anyone who puts that kind of stuff out there deserves what comes of it! :thumbup: and

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be disparaging of small business. I have one myself. This bloke just comes across as an arse.

No need to apologise. I was just making the point that Gary Kay will be affected by his own stupidity :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Sven wrote:
epping blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
moonboots wrote:
epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

No need to apologise. I was just making the point that Gary Kay will be affected by his own stupidity :thumbright: :ayatollah:

It's he Modern World, we have all said the odd stupid comment when drunk or highly charged at a football match, but these days once it's done, and whether it's in print or on video it can ruin peoples lives, imagine if camera phones had been around 40 years ago :o

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Sven wrote:
epping blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
moonboots wrote:
epping blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

It's he Modern World, we have all said the odd stupid comment when drunk or highly charged at a football match, but these days once it's done, and whether it's in print or on video it can ruin peoples lives, imagine if camera phones had been around 40 years ago :o

Modern world indeed and we know there are those out there who would rather film an incident to put on social media than give others a hand to resolve it! :(

In this case, the guy clearly acted foolishly. He is suffering the 'modern' consequences and had camera phones been around 40 years ago, some of what we witnessed might not have happened...

But we are where we are and due caution/consideration needs to be taken before posting on social media, as there's always someone who will take offence on others behalf and be listened to by others looking to promote their own agendas

Sometimes that's good and sometime's it isn't! :thumbup:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 pm

And they still play rap music on the radio..

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Don't know what he tweeted, from the reaction of Burnley and the reports sounds pretty despicable, and he sounds a bit of a dick.

But...

Seriously why are the police involved? Like a few people have said already his business will probably take a hit due to the negative publicity plus I'm sure he'll take plenty of flak, possibly lose a fair few mates and generally be a bit of a pariah.

Society is perfectly capable of making the man feel like a moron and punishing him for acting like a tit. Do we really need a nanny state sending police to interview (even if it was a voluntary interview) when we have decreasing police numbers and increasing crime?

Being a nob isn't a crime and the police being involved is a waste of resources.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Don't know what he tweeted, from the reaction of Burnley and the reports sounds pretty despicable, and he sounds a bit of a dick.

But...

Seriously why are the police involved? Like a few people have said already his business will probably take a hit due to the negative publicity plus I'm sure he'll take plenty of flak, possibly lose a fair few mates and generally be a bit of a pariah.

Society is perfectly capable of making the man feel like a moron and punishing him for acting like a tit. Do we really need a nanny state sending police to interview (even if it was a voluntary interview) when we have decreasing police numbers and increasing crime?

Being a nob isn't a crime and the police being involved is a waste of resources.

You can commit a crime by just posting a tweet, nothing to do with 'being a nob isn't a crime'.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:34 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:Don't know what he tweeted, from the reaction of Burnley and the reports sounds pretty despicable, and he sounds a bit of a dick.

But...

You can commit a crime by just posting a tweet, nothing to do with 'being a nob isn't a crime'.

Yeah, I suppose possibly - as I say I don't know exactly what he said, but it'd have to be either attacking a protected class or harassing an individual. Just a guess but I would anticipate he probably directed his venom at Cardiff City in general so not targetted harassment of an individual and I'd also say it was probably anti-welsh rhetoric and I very much doubt we are a protected class. I may be wrong though. - The Sala stuff is just low hanging fruit for a scumbag to add into the mix. Distasteful but to be expected sadly.

Even if they can find a case against him - it's still a massive waste of limited resources though. Quite simply there are far more important things the police could and should be doing rather than giving some tosspot a rap on the knuckles for acting like a keyboard warrior when he was pissed up.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

But...

Yeah, I suppose possibly - as I say I don't know exactly what he said, but it'd have to be either attacking a protected class or harassing an individual. Just a guess but I would anticipate he probably directed his venom at Cardiff City in general so not targetted harassment of an individual and I'd also say it was probably anti-welsh rhetoric and I very much doubt we are a protected class. I may be wrong though. - The Sala stuff is just low hanging fruit for a scumbag to add into the mix. Distasteful but to be expected sadly.

Even if they can find a case against him - it's still a massive waste of limited resources though. Quite simply there are far more important things the police could and should be doing rather than giving some tosspot a rap on the knuckles for acting like a keyboard warrior when he was pissed up.

Yeah you're right but spin it the other way around if my loved one had died in a tragic incident and some c**t started mocking his death through his personal and business accounts on social media I'd like to think there was some legal mechanism to bring this c**t to justice rather than having to rely on mob mentality (by the way 2 weeks down the line everyone from city fans to the wider footie community will have forgotten all about this guy so he's hardly facing justice unless the law get involved imo).

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:16 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

But...

Yeah you're right but spin it the other way around if my loved one had died in a tragic incident and some c**t started mocking his death through his personal and business accounts on social media I'd like to think there was some legal mechanism to bring this c**t to justice rather than having to rely on mob mentality (by the way 2 weeks down the line everyone from city fans to the wider footie community will have forgotten all about this guy so he's hardly facing justice unless the law get involved imo).

Yeah, I get where you're coming from absolutely - especially when there is so much raw pain around the Sala tragedy - and as you say if it were my boy that had died I'd want the moron hung, drawn and quartered and I can totally understand the thinking - but I find the criminalisation of speech of any sort, even hate speech, a frightening road to go down.

Even taking that out of the equation, as I say I just think it's a waste of the police's time. They have bigger fish to fry than some loudmouth prick on twitter basically.

I think we come at this from differing ideological viewpoints and we probably won't agree on whether it should or shouldn't be a criminal matter - but at the heart of the point I think we can both agree that the fella was a complete tosspot and deserves to suffer in some way for shouting his mouth off - so I'll leave it on that common ground :thumbup:

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Hope this lard arse piece of shit goes bust, couldn't care less whether he's so called middle class or has a successful business, the guy is trash and deserves to pay for his actions. Reading through his facebook there is two other anti welsh posts from his cronies, if that was about some other foreigner there would be uproar but to insult the welsh for some reason is acceptable. Hope he rots in hell.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 pm

There is only one way to stop schit like this and it that the penalty they pay is a significant one.
I for one hope he goes bust ....don’t care what he does for a living etc ....people think they can write any sick stuff cos it’s on the internet.
Banning him from a hotdesk???
Ffs Burnley