' Cardiff City's summer transfer plans. '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

Plus Aron Gunnarsson's replacement and the loan extension questions

By Dominic Booth

Wednesday 20th March 2019

The impending departure of Aron Gunnarsson hasn't come out of the blue for Cardiff City.

When the Ice Man signed a contract extension of just one year in July, the wheels were already set in motion for a 2019 exit once 'Gunnar' had played his part in the Premier League for a second time in a Cardiff shirt.

Back in spring 2018, a host of German and Turkish clubs had been linked with a summer swoop for Iceland's captain. Instead of committing his future to anyone, Gunnarsson preferred to focus on injury rehabilitation with a view to making a milestone appearance at last year's World Cup for his beloved country.

This time, a lucrative move to Qatar has been signed and sealed and not even staving off relegation with Cardiff will keep Gunnarsson in south Wales.

Neil Warnock and the Cardiff hierarchy, however, have planned for this eventuality.

This is how they are viewing the upcoming summer, how to replace Gunnarsson and the big decisions that will hinge on whether the Bluebirds can clinch Premier League survival...

Why the time is right for Gunnarsson

Upon signing his one-year extension last summer, Gunnarsson said: "I always wanted to stay and I told the gaffer that. Even though I didn't say much in the news, I just wanted to do my job on the pitch."

It's true that Gunnarsson was eager to prove himself in the top flight again.

He was one of few survivors from Cardiff's ignominious red-addled relegation in 2013/14 — although Gunnarsson had been one of the team's more consistent performers that season, scoring the Bluebirds' first-ever Premier League goal in a dramatic 3-2 win over Manchester City.

When it came to his future beyond summer 2019, the club were realistic and mindful of Gunnarsson's long-term goals for a "new challenge abroad".

Warnock said back in November 2017 amid questions over the midfielder's uncertain future that “I'm not naive to think there won't be people talking to him”.

The offers from other leagues came flooding in again and this time Cardiff haven't stood in his way.

The potential replacements

You could accurately call Cardiff's keen pursuit of OGC Nice midfielder Adrien Tameze in January a smart piece of succession planning.

The only problem was they didn't manage to land him; Tameze's close relationship with Nice boss Patrick Vieria and the difficulty Cardiff had signing players after the Emiliano Sala tragedy made it impossible after an initial bid failed.

The Bluebirds, however, are understood to be keen on resurrecting a deal in the region of £10million for Tameze.

Nice's owners want to eventually cash in on the defensive midfielder, who looks an ideal fit for Premier League football with his physicality and intelligent holding play.

Watford have also been linked though Cardiff would be in the box seat — provided they retained Premier League club — having already negotiated with the French club.

Aside from Tameze, Cardiff's capture of Leandro Bacuna could prove crucial. The former Reading and Aston Villa man would become a first team mainstay if the Bluebirds drop to the Championship.

The big decisions on loan players

Cardiff also have some big decisions to make on their midfield loan stars.

Victor Camarasa's stellar season will almost certainly have pricked the interest of more glamorous clubs, though Warnock is understood to be eager to sign the Spaniard on a longer deal if the Bluebirds stay up.

The 24-year-old has netted four goals and laid on three assists this season, adding much-needed creativity to the Cardiff midfield. Whether he returns to Real Betis to play regular football, earns a permanent move elsewhere or stays with the Bluebirds remains to be seen.

But Cardiff will put all their efforts into keeping Camarasa and fellow loanee Harry Arter if they can.

Relegation would make doing so virtually impossible, but Arter has gone on record stating that he'd love to extend his spell in the Welsh capital.

"Playing Premier League football is all I want to do," he said a few months ago.

"I've said to my family already that the dream season would be Cardiff to stay up and the manager to want to carry on next year and then hopefully I can sign."

Arter is of interest to Watford, Camarasa to god knows how many clubs — but Cardiff could hardly do better than snap both up on longer deals if they're looking to plan for life beyond Gunnarsson.

The Viking warrior will soon bow out but the Bluebirds can fight on without him.
Attachments
1_Rotherham-United-v-Cardiff-City-Pre-Season-Friendly-2-2-2.jpg
1_Rotherham-United-v-Cardiff-City-Pre-Season-Friendly-2-2-2.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 7217 times
CDF_170717_Tavistock_V_Cardiff68JPG.jpg
CDF_170717_Tavistock_V_Cardiff68JPG.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 7230 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Cardiff City's summer transfer plans. '

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 am

:bluebird: :bluebird:
Attachments
EF2D21B5-B2D2-4FA7-8F7E-C2305F102C79.jpeg
EF2D21B5-B2D2-4FA7-8F7E-C2305F102C79.jpeg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby dogfound » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 am

it looks like being our busiest window fore a few years...

3 out on loan. bogle ,madine , tomlin
3 here but not in the 25 okeefe, Connolly, damour.

3 least used players in the 25 harris , richards healey..

can all go..
then we have 3 players on loan.
gunner leaving and bruno out of contract.
its going to be interesting no matter what division we are in.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Generally agree, quite a bit of dead wood again which is frustrating.

I think harris is out of contract as well in the summer.

If we went down I think of all those players I think only Medine has a chance of being in and around the first team. Id expect Connolly to stay and maybe even Damour given a 1 year deal.

If we stay up id imagine he would try and move them all on with the exception of Manga who will most likely leave on a free.
2blue2handle

Postby Nora0343 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm

yeah right like last summer when we did next to nothing. This season has been so frustrating. If we go down it will be due to two very poor transfer periods in the summer and the Jan window. The club has showed a lack of ambition and it is so so frustrating when we are clearly so close to securing our safety
Nora0343

Postby maltablue » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Same as most years leave it to the last minute miss out and sign the dregs :x
maltablue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Nora0343 wrote:yeah right like last summer when we did next to nothing. This season has been so frustrating. If we go down it will be due to two very poor transfer periods in the summer and the Jan window. The club has showed a lack of ambition and it is so so frustrating when we are clearly so close to securing our safety

:banghead:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby dogfound » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Nora0343 wrote:yeah right like last summer when we did next to nothing. This season has been so frustrating. If we go down it will be due to two very poor transfer periods in the summer and the Jan window. The club has showed a lack of ambition and it is so so frustrating when we are clearly so close to securing our safety

we signed 6 players in the summer and 4 of those would be in the 11 if you picked a team on most appearances this season.. its easy to say that is poor but poor compared to who ?
dogfound

Postby LaBamba » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Slight concern for me is that if we go down, we need to rreplace:
Gunnarson
Niasse
Arter
Camarasa
Bruno
Connolly
Harris

That's 5 regular first dealers and 2 squad players.
Think staying up is more important than a lot even realise!
LaBamba

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 am

LaBamba wrote:Slight concern for me is that if we go down, we need to rreplace:
Gunnarson
Niasse
Arter
Camarasa
Bruno
Connolly
Harris

That's 5 regular first dealers and 2 squad players.
Think staying up is more important than a lot even realise!

Easily replaced with championship standard players.
We'll go get Jarod Bowen hopefully :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby blemmy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 am

dogfound wrote:

we signed 6 players in the summer and 4 of those would be in the 11 if you picked a team on most appearances this season.. its easy to say that is poor but poor compared to who ?

I suspect Nora means compared to all the teams above us and yes we've already done Fulham's summer spend to death - could you imagine what NW would have done with a £100m war chest?!
blemmy

Postby ThomasC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:10 am

Solomon Rondon has been brilliant for Newcastle hasn't he? We desperately needed a striker of that stature last summer :cry: :ayatollah:
ThomasC

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:30 pm

ThomasC wrote:Solomon Rondon has been brilliant for Newcastle hasn't he? We desperately needed a striker of that stature last summer :cry: :ayatollah:

I kept saying he would be a great signing throughout the summer. I think he is a perfect fit for us but its hard when other teams want him as well. Would he choose Cardiff over Newcastle? I doubt it.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm

blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I suspect Nora means compared to all the teams above us and yes we've already done Fulham's summer spend to death - could you imagine what NW would have done with a £100m war chest?!

I was talking about all teams.
its easy to say a transfer window is poor for most clubs as a huge percentage of transfers do not work out..
but if you compare and judge money spent in comparison to who others bought and how much use / value for money they got for their money it becomes a very good window.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:03 pm

blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I was talking about all teams.
its easy to say a transfer window is poor for most clubs as a huge percentage of transfers do not work out..
but if you compare and judge money spent in comparison to who others bought and how much use / value for money they got for their money it becomes a very good window.
dogfound

Postby nojac » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Will Vaulks instead of gunnar.
Long throw , likes a tackle and also likes shooting .
If the rumours were true we were after him in January?
nojac

Postby maccydee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:19 pm

dogfound wrote:

Well said.

Could have spent 100 million like Fulham and be below us.
maccydee

Postby dogfound » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Well said.

Could have spent 100 million like Fulham and be below us.

its not just Fulham, Burnley broke their transfer record fee for Gibson who resides on their bench { 1 start to date } long with Joe Hart and Vydra..Brightons record signing jahanbakhsh has started just 5 lge games and their previous record signing Locadia { signed in the jan 18 window } has started 10.
dogfound

Postby Ibby » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Cardiff to stay up and Burnley going down :bluescarf: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ibby

Return to General Chat