ARON GUNNARSSON AGREES NEW CONTRACT / BUT NOT WITH CARDIFF

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Aron Gunarsson agreed a deal in principal with Al Arabi in Qatar and so will leave Cardiff in the Summer.

Al Arabi have already tweeted an audio clip if Gunarsson announcing his imminent arrival.

The tweet that may have just confirmed Aron Gunnarsson's Cardiff City departure -

Monday 18th March 2019

Aron Gunnarsson appears to have given the biggest hint yet that he's set to leave Cardiff City in the summer - and he could be about to link up with a former boss.

Qatari side Al-Arabi tweeted out a teaser of a new signing on their official Twitter account on Monday night and, despite the player not being visible in the video, many fans have concluded that it is the 29-year old midfielder.

Al-Arabi, who are currently 6th in the Qatari Premier League, recently snapped up Swansea City striker Wilfried Bony on loan, and a move for Gunnarsson would arguably make sense.

Former Iceland boss Heimur Hallgrimsson was appointed as the club's manager back in December and has worked closely with the Icelandic captain before.

Upon joining the club, he also gave a ringing endorsement of the 2022 World Cup hosts, describing it as "the place to be".

Gunnarsson, whose contract at the Cardiff City Stadium is up at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to work under his former boss out in the Gulf state before, while China has also been mooted as another possible destination.

His departure from the capital has not yet been confirmed, and indeed it's not yet clear if the man in the video is indeed him, but there are other clues to suggest that he could be on his way out of the club at the end of the season, bringing an end to eight years of fine service to the Bluebirds.

Upon hearing the rumours, a number of City fans took to Twitter to send messages of farewell to the midfielder, which he subsequently 'liked'.

Gunnarsson signed for the club on a free transfer from Coventry City back in 2011 and has subsequently made 263 appearances for the Bluebirds.
Attachments
2_Cardiff-City-v-Everton-FC-Premier-League.jpg
2_Cardiff-City-v-Everton-FC-Premier-League.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
TAP_Sheep

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ ARON GUNNARSSON AGREES CONTRACT “

Postby TheHangedMan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:Aron Gunarsson agreed a deal in principal with Al Arabi in Qatar and so will leave Cardiff in the Summer.

Al Arabi have already tweeted an audio clip if Gunarsson announcing his imminent arrival.

Great servant of our Club, but I think (if true) that the timing is right for all concerned.
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:Aron Gunarsson agreed a deal in principal with Al Arabi in Qatar and so will leave Cardiff in the Summer.

Great servant of our Club, but I think (if true) that the timing is right for all concerned.

Agree with both. The timing is ridiculous and I can't help but feel negatively about him now. He's a weird one because even though he's been around for a while I've never felt he's been committed. Even in the sense that most of the players get together in the off season as well but he never really does. Plus he's always been saying he might go off.
TAP_Sheep

Postby bluescarlet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Don’t be ridiculous.
bluescarlet

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

bluescarlet wrote:Don’t be ridiculous.

Context?
TAP_Sheep

Postby TheHangedMan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Agree with both. The timing is ridiculous and I can't help but feel negatively about him now. He's a weird one because even though he's been around for a while I've never felt he's been committed. Even in the sense that most of the players get together in the off season as well but he never really does. Plus he's always been saying he might go off.

I hear what you're saying TAP, I didn't mean the timing of the leak, but it's the right time for him to go.

Personally I wasn't too fussed on him signing for this year beacause of his previous injury problems and his questionable "commitment" with his comments last season.

That said he's played a part this season, but at the end of it, it is definitely time to move on.
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

most of the players get together but he never really does.
what on earth does that mean..

they are all individuals who have their own lives away from the club and away from Cardiff is the reality.
dogfound

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Every city manager he has played under has consistently picked him. He has been a great servant through mainly good times but also challenges too.

Time will tell what his legacy will be. He's neither Phil Dwyer or Whitts but he was a city player who captained Iceland when they beat England in the Euros!
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

No different to the Ramsey situation, he is allowed to agree something abroad now. I'm glad it's resolved personally and allows us to replace him next season rather than letting it rumble on.
2blue2handle

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

they are all individuals who have their own lives away from the club and away from Cardiff is the reality.

Didn't mean this literally. Just painting a picture. He's never seemed fussed and that's part of the jigsaw when you add the rest together.
TAP_Sheep

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 pm

2blue2handle wrote:No different to the Ramsey situation, he is allowed to agree something abroad now. I'm glad it's resolved personally and allows us to replace him next season rather than letting it rumble on.

I hate the timing on it personally. Why this couldn't wait till the summer is beyond me.
TAP_Sheep

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Every city manager he has played under has consistently picked him. He has been a great servant through mainly good times but also challenges too.

Time will tell what his legacy will be. He's neither Phil Dwyer or Whitts but he was a city player who captained Iceland when they beat England in the Euros!

i agree
and cant get my head around his commitment being questioned..

is it a thing at our club or a football in general thing ?...contributors get knocked while non contributors fly under the radar..

this fella has been a good player/servant to this club. 2 promotions and a cup final during his time here , we have so many players to choose from with records like his dont we :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:No different to the Ramsey situation, he is allowed to agree something abroad now. I'm glad it's resolved personally and allows us to replace him next season rather than letting it rumble on.

Agree with that.

I think he’s been a good player for us.

He’s been close to leaving a few times, and wouldn’t be here this season if we didn’t get promoted. Obviously doesn’t want to play in the Championship again.

He’s also missed a lot of games due to injury over the last couple of seasons. So probably the timing is right for all involved.

Wish him luck.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 pm

We've not had many better free transfers. 250 odd appearances, 25 goals and two promotions. And captaining Iceland to victory over England!
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

I hate the timing on it personally. Why this couldn't wait till the summer is beyond me.

same as Ramsey and no doubt many other players.
dogfound

Postby ThomasC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Why does it matter? He has played so many games for us and always given 100%
ThomasC

Postby ThomasC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:We've not had many better free transfers. 250 odd appearances, 25 goals and two promotions. And captaining Iceland to victory over England!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: That's a true City fan talking
ThomasC

Postby maccydee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
dogfound wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Didn't mean this literally. Just painting a picture. He's never seemed fussed and that's part of the jigsaw when you add the rest together.

My God can you try to talk more bollocks? You should be a commentator with all the cliches.
maccydee

Postby wez1927 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 pm

i think the timing is right and it will make us go and hopefully upgrade him in the summer whatever league we are in
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:i think the timing is right and it will make us go and hopefully upgrade him in the summer whatever league we are in

easier said than done wez..
Arter and Camarasa are loan players that we could lose in the summer so Gunner going wil mean we are looking for 3 midfielders

and it sounds so easy to upgrade but in reality half the players we sign just don't work out. and that's the case at every club. personally I think there are plenty to go to make room for new players { tomlin , bogle , madine, Richards , o keefe , damour , Connolly , harris , healy , ward } while we should be busting a gut to keep those that actually play the most.

I know gunner is gone but this upgradeitus always seems to be about players who contribute
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Not being funny but I posted this ages ago.
I think he signed that during or just after the window.

He's been a star for us and he's near retiring time so I don't know why anyone's on his case about this.
Like a few others who get rubbished here, his contribution this year has been vital.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:19 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Not being funny but I posted this ages ago.
I think he signed that during or just after the window.

He's been a star for us and he's near retiring time so I don't know why anyone's on his case about this.
Like a few others who get rubbished here, his contribution this year has been vital.

agree
and for the record I noticed your post on him signing a pre contract.
dogfound

Postby TheHangedMan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Just to put the facts right, which I understand upsets some peope, but nevertheless they are the facts.

When Gunnars was offered the chance to commit to our Club, a year ago January hence (and even before that) he chose not to. He stated, not verbatum, that he wanted to play in the PL, so, as was his contractual right he did not sign. During that spring he was out injured for long periods, but managed to play for Iceland. When we were promoted talks were held and he signed for another year.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on this board would have the view that he has given nothing but 100% everytime he wears our shirt. But yet again he had a lengthy spell of injury early doors this season.

I believe that whatever League we are in next season Gunnars has run his course. Brilliant servant to our Club but we move on.
TheHangedMan

Postby dogfound » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:25 am

TheHangedMan wrote:Just to put the facts right, which I understand upsets some peope, but nevertheless they are the facts.

When Gunnars was offered the chance to commit to our Club, a year ago January hence (and even before that) he chose not to. He stated, not verbatum, that he wanted to play in the PL, so, as was his contractual right he did not sign. During that spring he was out injured for long periods, but managed to play for Iceland. When we were promoted talks were held and he signed for another year.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on this board would have the view that he has given nothing but 100% everytime he wears our shirt. But yet again he had a lengthy spell of injury early doors this season.

I believe that whatever League we are in next season Gunnars has run his course. Brilliant servant to our Club but we move on.

I think what he said was that he did not want to play another season in the championship. or at least that is what our manager said { also stating that he fully understood because of the demands of the championship } the player made no such public statement . and yes he played for Iceland after being injured and picked up another injury while doing so...this of course being the first case ever of such a thing..
think the he deserves far more respect than what he gets , since his debut incredibly over 120 players have worn our shirt, some still here most gone or came and went and very few of them contributed anywhere near what this fella has.
dogfound

Postby Alan_in_China » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:14 am

TheHangedMan wrote:Just to put the facts right, which I understand upsets some peope, but nevertheless they are the facts.

I agree with you. :clap:
Alan_in_China

Re: ARON GUNNARSSON NEW AGREES CONTRACT / BUT NOT WITH CARD

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:32 am

The tweet that may have just confirmed Aron Gunnarsson's Cardiff City departure -

Aron Gunnarsson appears to have given the biggest hint yet that he's set to leave Cardiff City in the summer - and he could be about to link up with a former boss.

Qatari side Al-Arabi tweeted out a teaser of a new signing on their official Twitter account on Monday night and, despite the player not being visible in the video, many fans have concluded that it is the 29-year old midfielder.

Al-Arabi, who are currently 6th in the Qatari Premier League, recently snapped up Swansea City striker Wilfried Bony on loan, and a move for Gunnarsson would arguably make sense.

Former Iceland boss Heimur Hallgrimsson was appointed as the club's manager back in December and has worked closely with the Icelandic captain before.

Upon joining the club, he also gave a ringing endorsement of the 2022 World Cup hosts, describing it as "the place to be".

Gunnarsson, whose contract at the Cardiff City Stadium is up at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to work under his former boss out in the Gulf state before, while China has also been mooted as another possible destination.

His departure from the capital has not yet been confirmed, and indeed it's not yet clear if the man in the video is indeed him, but there are other clues to suggest that he could be on his way out of the club at the end of the season, bringing an end to eight years of fine service to the Bluebirds.

Upon hearing the rumours, a number of City fans took to Twitter to send messages of farewell to the midfielder, which he subsequently 'liked'.

Gunnarsson signed for the club on a free transfer from Coventry City back in 2011 and has subsequently made 263 appearances for the Bluebirds.
Attachments
2_Cardiff-City-v-Everton-FC-Premier-League.jpg
2_Cardiff-City-v-Everton-FC-Premier-League.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: ARON GUNNARSSON AGREES NEW CONTRACT / BUT NOT WITH CARD

Postby Bluesman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 am

How can people complain about him. He has been tremendous for us and has carried the team on many occasions since signing in 2011. As for commitment, I just wish others in the team had half the amount he has shown during games. Good luck to him getting a huge payday coming towards the end of his career.
Bluesman

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 am

Bluesman wrote:How can people complain about him. He has been tremendous for us and has carried the team on many occasions since signing in 2011. As for commitment, I just wish others in the team had half the amount he has shown during games. Good luck to him getting a huge payday coming towards the end of his career.

WELL SAID :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Mr Shed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:26 am

Been a great 8 years with him here, good luck to him in his career away from here.

I have no complaints, thanks for the memories.

I'm sure he'll play our final run of games with the same commitment and fight that he has done since joining.

Will be applauded off heavily at the end of the season, no bitterness.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

*Insert Name here* BARMY ARMY!!!!!
Mr Shed

Postby JulesK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am

Personally thought he should have gone last season but was glad to be proved wrong.

Diolch Gunners best of luck and hope the warm weather helps :D

:ayatollah:
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Next

Return to General Chat