Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bloke who ran over kids at football match in court

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Lee Taylor - the bloke who ran over the 11 teenagers in Cornelly last April is in court over the next two weeks, there will be a total of 47 witnesses called over the 2 weeks and he’s pleaded Not Guilty.

My son gave his evidence this afternoon in court.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OT - bloke who ran over kids at match in court

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Disgusting, I hope he gets the sentence he deserves :evil:

Footballer accused of 'mowing kids down like skittles' in BMW following match

Court Reporter Liz Day

Tuesday 19th March 2019

Taylor denies all the charges against him.

Lee Taylor, 36, is on trial over an incident at North Cornelly playing fields on April 19 last year which left 11 teenagers in hospital

Lee Taylor denies all charges against him over the incident at the North Cornelly playing fields

A footballer allegedly mowed down a group of children "like skittles" using his BMW after "banter" at a match spilled into violence, a court heard.

Lee Taylor, 36, is on trial over an incident at a football ground car park that left 11 teenagers needing hospital treatment.

He is standing trial at Newport Crown Court where he is accused of driving a BMW dangerously and injuring the young people following a match between Cornelly FC and Margam FC in which finished 5-0 to Cornelly.

The incident occurred just before 8pm on Thursday, April 19, last year at Meadow Street in North Cornelly, near Bridgend.

Opening the case prosecutor Christopher Rees said the defendant "used his car as a weapon to drive at a group of young people" and “mowed them down like skittles in a bowling alley” in a "terrifying incident".

Taylor denies dangerous driving and 11 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm as well as alternatives of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He is represented by Nicola Powell. The trial, which is before Judge Daniel Williams and is expected to last for two weeks, continues.

How day one of the trial unfolded:

15:53

Alleged victim denies he was one of 'the aggressors'

Ms Powell, for Taylor, suggested complainant Mr Busby was one of “the aggressors”.

Mr Busby said that was not the case.

Ms Powell put it to the witness Taylor “stepped in” to try and stop a fight. The witness replied: “No.”

NP: I suggest to you at no point was he [Taylor] being aggressive to you. In fact, it was the other way around. You were the aggressors.

EB: No we weren’t.

Mr Busby told the police he had never seen the defendant before.

That is the end of his evidence.

The case will resume at 10.30am tomorrow.

15:46

'Chaos, people on the floor'

Ms Powell, for Taylor, asked witness Evan Busby if he accepted there was “chaos”.

He replied: “Oh yeah, chaos, people on the floor.”

Ms Powell suggested there was “a lot of confusion” and asked the witness if he could have misinterpreted the defendant’s actions as “chasing”.

The witness said he did not believe he had misinterpreted the situation.

Mr Busby agreed the incident happened very quickly and was over in “a couple of minutes”.

Ms Powell then suggested her client’s car was “surrounded” by youths. Mr Busby said that was not the case.

Questioned about what happened to the BMW’s wing mirror, he replied: “I did not see anyone do anything to the wing mirror.”

NP: I suggest to you that was being ripped off as the incident was happening in the car park?

EB: No.

Mr Busby is now being asked questions about photographs of the car, starting with the windscreen. He confirmed he saw someone punching the windscreen during the incident.

15:24

Taylor says he drove onto field to turn around parked car

Mr Busby said the defendant’s car went on to the grass after hitting him.

Ms Powell confirmed her client accepts that his car went on to the playing field briefly to turn around a parked car.

Mr Busby said two individuals had to run down a lane to get away from the BMW. He said the defendant was “chasing” them.

NP: If I was to say to you that the car did not chase anyone at all... I am suggesting to you that didn’t happen.

EB: Well it did.

15:18

'I thought he was just trying to scare us'

Taylor’s barrister Nicola Powell suggested some individuals followed him in the car park.

Mr Busby said that was not the case.

Mr Busby said he saw Taylor reverse out of his parking space.

Ms Powell asked: “Did you see that yourself?” The witness confirmed he did.

Nicola Powell (NP): You say you heard the car revving. Did you see it coming at you?

Evan Busby (EB): It all happened too fast. I thought he was just trying to scare us.

NP: When did you see the car first? Did you see the car?

EB: Yeah.

NP: How far away was it?

EB: It was just reversing out of the space.

NP: When did you next see it?

EB: It was coming.

NP: And then you were hit?

NP: So it hits you and then goes on to the grass?

15:13

Claim one of complainants 'had score to settle'

Nicola Powell, for Lee Taylor, is now asking witness Mr Busby questions.

She suggested some people there “wanted his [Taylor’s] blood”. Mr Busby disagreed.

Ms Powell asked: “I’m right in saying it all kicked off, didn’t it?”

The witness replied: “Not necessarily.”

Ms Powell suggested one of the complainants “had a score to settle” and was “egged on”.

The witness responded: “Not really.”

Ms Powell suggested her client was trying to make sure there was “a fair fight”.

Mr Busby replied: “He got involved with straight threats.”

14:56

Mr Busby describes his injuries

Witness Mr Busby said his phone fell out of his pocket during the collision but he retrieved it and phoned the police.

The court heard police and ambulance attended the scene.

Mr Busby said he later went to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

Asked about his injuries he said: “I broke my hand. Bruising on my arm, my leg. I had a little lump on my eye.”

The jury are now being shown photographs of his injuries taken by the police.

Mr Busby said: “You can see just under my right eye, there’s a bit of a lump, a swelling.”

He also suffered grazing and scratching to the back of his leg.

The witness said the car hit him to his leg.

Mr Busby told the court he got an injury to his hand by punching the car window.

14:54

'I wanted to stop him'

Prosecutor Christopher Rees is asking witness Evan Busby what happened next.

CR: What happened to the car? What did you next see?

EB: I was on the floor at this point but the car did go on to the grass and chased two boys.

CR: Where did it go on to the grass?

Mr Busby is showing the jury the route taken by the car by pointing at a photograph.

CR: What did you do next?

EB: I tried the passenger door to get in or whatever. I started punching the passenger window.

CR: Why did you approach the car?

EB: He was using the car as a weapon. I wanted to stop him hurting anyone else.

CR: What did Taylor do?

EB: He approached me. I was down into a headlock. He was gouging my eye. He had his thumb and he was gouging my eye.

CR: Were you able to break free of his grip?

EB: I was struggling.

14:49

'I heard revving and wheels spinning'

Witness Evan Busby said he was standing in front of the changing rooms when the incident happened.

Mr Rees asked: “What is the next thing that happened?”

The witness replied: “I noticed that he [Taylor] had reversed out of his parking space.

“His car was facing towards the changing rooms then.

“I heard the engine revving and wheels spinning.

“The noise of a car accelerating. The sound of tyres on concrete. The car came towards us.”

Christopher Rees (CR): Did the car strike you?

Evan Busby (EB): Yeah.

CR: Where did it strike you?

EB: The thigh area.

CR: Did you see which part of the car struck you?

EB: The front, maybe the grill.

CR: What effect did it have on you?

EB: It sort of bounced me on to the floor. I sort of slid across the floor.

14:37

First alleged victim giving evidence

The jury are back in court.

Prosecutor Christopher Rees will now call the first witness, Evan Busby. Mr Busby is one of the alleged victims.

He was 17 at the time of the incident and is 18 now.

Mr Rees is referring to the plan and some photographs in the jury bundle.

The witness is pointing out the changing rooms and the car park.

Mr Rees asked if the witness saw anything “of note” while the match was happening. The witness replied he did not.

Mr Busby said he overheard the defendant say “I’ll eat you, you little c***” to another complainant.

The witness is pointing out on the map where Taylor’s car was parked - next to a floodlight.

13:06

Taylor said he was called 'fatty'

Police attended the scene at around 8pm.

Officers went to the Sandfields area of Port Talbot, where Taylor lived.

The defendant replied to caution: “I wasn’t going to stay and take a kicking.”

Mr Rees said the complainants attended hospital and added: “It is by sheer good fortune that the injuries were not more serious than they were.”

In his police interview Taylor said he was playing for Margam.

He said he was called “fatty” by one of the boys.

Taylor said a youth jumped on his car and said he thought he was going “to get a kicking”.

Mr Rees said his account was very different from the accounts of the witnesses.

The defendant was shown the mobile phone footage and said he did not remember a second “scuffle”.

Mr Rees said: “He drove deliberately at these boys.”

“The prosecution say the defendant got into his car to drive at the group because he had lost his temper.

“He knocked them down like skittles.

“The prosecution say the defendant is responsible for driving at these young men deliberately.”

The hearing will now break for lunch.

12:59

Jurors shown footage of the aftermath

Mr Rees said a 12-year-old girl witnessed the incident.

“She saw a group of boys being struck. She was able to record the aftermath of it.”

A dog walker saw the car “ploughing into” the group. The court heard the vehicle came to a stop.

Mr Rees is now playing the 12-year-old girl’s mobile phone footage.

“We can see, there is the defendant’s BMW. We can see a group of people here.

“The defendant is the stocky gentleman with the black top on.

“We can just see the defendant’s car leaving the car park. The defendant fleeing, no doubt, before the police arrive at the scene.

“When the car stopped in the car park Taylor got out of the car.”

The court heard there was “a fight” and the defendant used his thumb to “gouge” a complainant’s eye.

Prosecutors said Taylor then drove away “at speed”.

12:55

Boy aged 14 'thought he was going to die'

One complainant described the car’s “wheels spinning” and “engine racing”.

The impact caused him to fall backwards 6ft.

Another complainant “heard screaming” and “saw the BMW coming directly at him”.

Mr Rees said: “He closed his eyes at this point. He felt his body make contact with the grass floor.”

The court heard some complainants went on to the bonnet of the car.

One complainant said he was “scared and speechless”.

Another was struck by the car, “causing him to be lifted off his feet”. The court heard his face hit the windscreen.

Mr Rees said a witness described the scene as “carnage”.

The youngest complainant was 14, he said he was “frozen in fear” and “thought he was going to die”.

Mr Rees said: “He was lying face down on the bonnet.”

12:51

'Mowed them down like skittles in a bowling alley'

Prosecutors said Taylor said: “Do you want to go?”

The court heard Taylor walked back to him BMW, got into the car and reversed out of his parking space.

Mr Rees said there were school children in the area.

He added: “The prosecution say Taylor got into his car, pointed the nose of the vehicle at the group of young persons, revved and raced his engine, his wheels spun, and drove at speed [towards them].”

Mr Rees said he “mowed them down like skittles in a bowling alley”.

He added: “It was, the prosecution say, a terrifying incident.”

12:48

Young person provoked by 'banter'

Mr Rees said: “The prosecution bring the case, the prosecution have to prove the case.

“The prosecution case is that at 6pm on April 19, Cornelly Football Club were hosting a match against Margam Football Club.

“The defendant Lee Taylor was playing in the football match for Margam.

“There were around 30 to 40 spectators at the game, most of them young persons.”

The court heard one spectator was “giving out banter” to the Margam players.

The prosecutor said they were two adult teams and Taylor was an adult playing for Margam. Cornelly won the match.

Afterwards a group of young people began to congregate around the changing room.

Mr Rees said there was “banter” which provoked one of the young people.

“The confrontation was looking like it might escalate towards something more serious, a fight,” said the prosecutor.

12:44

Jury shown photos of injuries

The prosecutor is now handing out photographs of individuals who were injured.

The young people who were injured in the incident cannot be named for legal reasons.

Mr Rees is pointing out injuries to one individual’s leg and back.

The jury now get photographs of a second individual who was injured.

This person suffered a mark to his face, injuries to his ankle and foot.

12:40

Defendant's BMW car damaged

Now the jury are given maps of the scene. The incident happened in North Cornelly.

There’s an aerial view with the sports pavilion and car park marked on.

Mr Rees hands out some more photographs, this time of the defendant’s car - a grey BMW.

There is an image of the BMW with damage to the windscreen, which was allegedly caused during the incident. Mr Rees points out the wing mirror is also missing.

12:35

Tyre tracks visible on the grass

Mr Rees is now handing out some more documents to the jury.

There are photographs of the scene at Cornelly Football Club.

He said: “This is the scene of the incident on April 19.”

The first image shows a car parking area with the football pitch beyond it.

He is pointing out tyre tracks on the grass.

“You can see tyre tracks on the football pitch,” said Mr Rees.

12:32KEY EVENT

Accused 'used his car as a weapon'

Prosecutor Christopher Rees will now open the case.

He is handing out the indictment to the jury. This contains the counts faced by Taylor.

He said: “There are a lot of charges but the incident, the matters you will be considering, are actually quite simple.”

He said the counts can be grouped together.

“There were, in total, 11 persons who were, the prosecution say, victims of the defendant’s behaviour.

“We say the defendant used his car as a weapon to drive at a group of young people.

“He caused injury to 11 people in the group he drove at.”

12:29

Jury given directions by judge

Judge Williams told the jury they must try the defendant just on the evidence they see and hear in the courtroom.

He said they should not talk about the case to family and friends and they must ignore press reports.

The jury are told they must not tweet about the case or post about it on Facebook.

Judge Williams tells the jury they should only talk about the case when all 12 of them are together.

12:22

Taylor denies all charges

The defendant is charged with driving a BMW dangerously in the car park for the playing fields of Meadow Street, North Cornelly, on April 19 last year.

He faces 11 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent and alternatives of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Taylor denies all the charges against him.

12:15

Jury being selected

The usher is bringing a jury panel into court.

Judge Daniel Williams is apologising for keeping them waiting.

Lee Taylor is in the dock. He is wearing a white shirt and black tie.

The judge said: “This case is concerned with events that took place on April 19 last year.

“It is an allegation the defendant drove dangerously and caused injuries to a number of people. It is an allegation the defendant denies.”

Nicola Powell, for Taylor, said he is from the Sandfields area of Port Talbot.

The jurors are now being selected. The jury is made up of five men and seven women. They are now taking the oath or affirmation.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 am

Cardiffcitymad wrote:Disgusting, I hope he gets the sentence he deserves :evil:

So do I mate. Was hard for all the kids and us parents living through that night, now he’s making these kids go through it all again 11 months later instead of manning up and accepting responsibility.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:24 am

snoopystorm wrote:

So do I mate. Was hard for all the kids and us parents living through that night, now he’s making these kids go through it all again 11 months later instead of manning up and accepting responsibility.

your kid was knocked over?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am

dogfound wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

your kid was knocked over?

Yeah, he was sent skidding across the car park, he got up and ran at the car tried to get in it and started punching the passenger window, the bloke got out and got my boy in a head lock and then tried to gouge his eye out with his thumb.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am

should get done for 11 counts of attempted murder and the fact that some of these were minors will be ever worse for the guy.
hopefully he gets a long time.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:27 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:should get done for 11 counts of attempted murder and the fact that some of these were minors will be ever worse for the guy.
hopefully he gets a long time.

They were all under 18, aged from 12-17 last April, he’s looking at around 25 charges in total, 11 GBH with intent, 11 ahh, dangerous driving, driving without due care and failing to stop

Re: Bloke who ran over kids at football match in court

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Its sickening enough and now for him to plead not guilty and put everyone involved through it all again is beyond.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Sickening and we seem to have grown into a culture of blaming everyone else these days. People struggle to admit fault.

Lets hope he gets a proper sentence.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

He's a complete bellend with plenty of previous

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Should have life sentence end of!!

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Day Two

Teen describes how footballer in BMW 'sped up and drove into us' after match

The 17-year-old said Lee Taylor, who is on trial at Newport Crown Court, seemed angry following the game between Cornelly FC and Margam FC

A teenager was injured after hitting his head on a car windscreen when the driver accelerated at him following a football match, a court heard.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said Lee Taylor seemed angry before he revved his BMW engine and sped into the group of young people.

Giving evidence at Newport Crown Court on the second day of the trial, the complainant said he overheard Taylor say: “You don’t want to mess with me.”

Taylor, 36, from Sandfields in Port Talbot, denies one count of dangerous driving, 11 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, and alternatives of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Christopher Rees, prosecuting, said the incident happened at the playing fields of Meadow Street in North Cornelly, near Bridgend, just before 8pm on April 19 last year following a match between Cornelly FC and Margam FC.

Asked if there were any problems during the match the witness – who was 16 at the time – replied: “It was just a normal game.”

He told the court he was standing in the car park following the match and heard Taylor say: “You don’t want to mess with me.”

The witness said he did not know the defendant but had seen him during the match. Questioned about his demeanour, he replied: “He appeared angry.”

He added: “He [Taylor] went off to his car. He pulled off and turned towards us. He sped up and drove into us. I could see it [the car] coming towards me.

“I heard revving then I hit the bonnet. My head hit the windscreen. I got hit and blacked out. When I came round, I was on the floor. I tried to get up and felt my ankle go.”

The teenager said he saw the BMW parked up near the grass and Taylor fighting with two people.

He went to the Princess of Wales Hospital later that evening and was treated for marks to his face and bruising and swelling to his ankle.

Nicola Powell, for Taylor, suggested some people at the match wanted to “have it out” with the defendant.

The witness accepted the atmosphere was “quite tense” but said he did not remember hearing anyone call Taylor “fatty” or swear at him.

Ms Powell suggested her client tried to “break it up” but the witness replied: “No, he was saying to fight. He was egging them on to fight.”

Asked if his account was wrong and one of the boys had actually jumped on to the bonnet the witness said that was not the case, adding: “He drove into us.”

The trial continues.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/teen-describes-how-footballer-bmw-15997761

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I think you can safely assume he won't be going anywhere nice for his summer hollybobs anytime soon.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Unfortunately Wales Online seem to have lost interest in this case at the moment, hopefully they will pick it back up sooner rather than later, todays events however has seen the case moves on to witness number 14.

Will try and keep you all updated as I hear things come through, my son doesn’t have to go back but he is finding things out as the days progress

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm

I heard yesterday from the court that they put a block on the reporter’s reporting as she was giving live feeds without the courts consent.

Today Lee Taylor gave his defence

Footballer 'felt scared after threats from rival fans' moments before allegedly knocking down 11 teenagers

Lee Taylor, who denies dangerous driving as well as assault charges, told jurors he didn't hear the screams of his alleged victims because his stereo was 'too loud'

A football player has denied mowing down 11 young rival supporters in his car after they taunted him by calling him "fatty".

Lee Taylor is accused of using his BMW as a "weapon" and deliberately ploughing into a group of boys aged as young as 14 after his side lost 5-0 in the local football match in Bridgend.

The 36-year-old told Newport Crown Court said he felt scared after trying break up a confrontation between a young Margam Football Club teammate and around 15-20 teenage supporters of rivals Cornelly United outside their changing rooms.

Taylor told jurors he was trying to escape the group of boys when he jumped in his car - and said he did not hear their screams because his car stereo was playing too loud.

He said: "I said 'Look lads, if there's going to be a fight, it's one-on-one'. The mood was intense.

"The boys said to me, 'We'll batter you. F*** off fatty."

Taylor said some of the group followed him to his car, before one jumped on his bonnet and began punching his windscreen as he tried to leave the car park.

"I felt scared that the boys were going to get me," he added.

"I can't really remember what happened after that."

The court had previously heard Taylor revved his engine moments before driving straight at the young boys on April 19 and knocking them over like "skittles at a bowling alley".

Prosecuting counsel Christopher Rees said some boys were thrown up into the air, while one managed to hold on to Taylor's bonnet and punch his windscreen - saying it was only by "sheer good fortune" that the only injuries sustained were cuts and bruises.

During cross examination, Mr Rees asked the defendant: "Are you saying that when you got back home, you had no idea you had collided with 11 of those young boys who were outside the changing rooms?"

Mr Taylor answered: "Not until the police arrested me."

Mr Rees then asked Taylor if he had heard the boys' "screams" after driving into them, to which Taylor replied: "No. I had my radio on loud. I was listening to dance music."

Taylor was then asked why he failed to call police after the incident if he believed the youths had attacked him, to which he replied: "I wouldn't phone and drive."

Taylor, 36, from Sandfields in Port Talbot, denies one count of dangerous driving, 11 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, and alternatives of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The trial continues.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/lee-taylor-trial-newport-crown-16030260

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 am

He sounds like a right dick, nobody is going to believe that rubbish...! Luckily nobody was seriously injured, he's going to get a sentence for what he's done but what ever it is, it won't be long enough! :evil:

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Jury retired so they could reach a verdict today after summing up, the judge has adjourned the case until 10am tomorrow morning, hopefully the jury won’t spend all day debating and get on with it

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 am

Cardiffcitymad wrote:He sounds like a right dick, nobody is going to believe that rubbish...! Luckily nobody was seriously injured, he's going to get a sentence for what he's done but what ever it is, it won't be long enough! :evil:

Crazy he thinks anyone will believe that story with so many witnesses

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Still waiting, they’re back in at 2pm to see if they’ve reached a verdict. On pins waiting

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Just had a call off the court, he’s been found Guilty of all charges.

Will post the news article once it’s been released

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Just had a call off the court, he’s been found Guilty of all charges.

Good news for you and your lad. Justice. Nice big sentence coming his way! :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:Just had a call off the court, he’s been found Guilty of all charges.

Good news for you and your lad. Justice. Nice big sentence coming his way! :ayatollah:

Thanks Jimmy :thumbright:

Been on pins all day refreshing the court page, then the call came.

Absolute weight off I can’t tell you, sentencing on April 12th

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:25 pm

1st News Report

Margam footballer guilty of hitting 11 boys with car

A footballer has been convicted of using his car as a "one tonne weapon" to "knock down spectators like skittles" after his team lost a match.
Lee Taylor drove his BMW into 11 rival supporters, some as young as 14, after his side lost 5-0 in a local derby.
The 36-year-old Margam player lost his temper and drove into the victims after a game in Cornelly, Bridgend county, on 19 April 2018.
Taylor, from Port Talbot, will be sentenced in April.
A jury found him guilty of dangerous driving and 11 counts of attempting to do grievous bodily harm with intent.
He claimed he was trying to escape the teenagers when he got into his car after they called him "fatty".

Taylor said he did not know he had hit the boys until the police arrested him later that day.
He told the court he was trying to break up a confrontation between a Margam teammate and 15 to 20 young supporters of rivals Cornelly United outside the changing rooms when the group turned on him.
Some boys were thrown up into the air and suffered cuts and bruises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47732663

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Footballer guilty of deliberately running over young fans who called him `fatty´
By Press Association
16:13 28 Mar 2019, updated 16:13 28 Mar 2019

A football player has been found guilty of using his car as a weapon to mow down 11 young rival supporters after they taunted him by calling him “fatty”.

Lee Taylor, 36, drove his BMW into a group of young boys between the age of 14 and 19 after his side lost 5-0 in the local football match in South Wales.

Newport Crown Court heard the teenagers were deliberately “knocked down like skittles” but the driver claimed he was unaware of the collisions and could not hear the boys screams because his car stereo was playing too loud.

Father-of-one Taylor had been playing for amateur side Margam FC at the home of their rivals Cornelly Utd at Margam Park, Bridgend, where supporters traded insults with players as the home side cruised to a 5-0 victory.

Prosecutor Christopher Rees said Taylor squared up a group of around 15 to 20 teenagers following the game who had been waiting to confront a team-mate of his outside the away changing room.

Taylor told the group “no-one will get involved while I’m here. I’ll wrap a bat around your heads” and threatened to “eat” one of the boys.

He was heard saying: “You wanna go?” before getting in his grey BMW and revving its engine and accelerating 10 metres into the group.

Mr Rees said: “Taylor drove straight at the young boys, knocking them over like skittles at a bowling alley. It was a terrifying incident.

“He had lost his temper. He deliberately mowed down the group using his vehicle as a one-tonne weapon to plough into the boys.

“Taylor used his car as a weapon to drive at a group of young people, intending to cause them serious injury and, in fact, causing serious injury to 11 people.”

Mr Rees said some of the boys were thrown up into the air and said it was only by “sheer good fortune” that none suffered injuries worse than cuts and bruising.

One boy managed to jump onto the bonnet of the car and smash Taylor’s windscreen in an attempt to get him to stop.

The jury were shown mobile phone footage of Taylor getting out of his car following the collisions and assaulting friends of the teenagers who had been run over, before he returned to his vehicle and drove away.

Taylor told the court he had been “scared” after being confronted by the teenage boys outside the changing rooms, claiming they told him: “We’ll batter you. F*** off, fatty” and had surrounded his car before he could drive away.

The jury took five hours and 40 minutes to find Taylor guilty of dangerous driving unanimously and of 11 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent by a majority verdict.

Judge Daniel Williams said he would adjourn sentencing for reports to be compiled on Taylor but warned: “I will be considering an extended sentence where the defendant is kept on licence for longer than usual for the protection of the public.”

Taylor, from the Sandfields area of Port Talbot, will be sentenced next month.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-6861229/Footballer-guilty-deliberately-running-young-fans-called-fatty.html

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Thanks Jimmy :thumbright:

Been on pins all day refreshing the court page, then the call came.

Absolute weight off I can’t tell you, sentencing on April 12th

I can't even begin to imagine! Go and have a cold celebratory beer in the sunshine! :bluebird: