Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea City confirm appointment of 'football man' T

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Swansea City confirm appointment of 'football man' Trevor Birch as new chairman

Monday 18th March 2019

Swansea City have confirmed the appointment of Trevor Birch as their new chairman, replacing Huw Jenkins.

Birch, formerly of Chelsea, Everton, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Derby County, will begin work in April and report directly to the club's American owners, Steve Kaplan and Jason Levien.

The pair released a statement on Swansea's official website welcoming the news.

They said: "Trevor’s track record in the game speaks for itself. He has the experience we need and a business reputation that is second to none. Quite frankly, he is one of the finest football executives currently in the game and will bring a new dimension to Swansea City.

"Trevor will obviously be instrumental in strengthening the business side of the club but will also work very closely with Graham Potter and Kyle Macauley on the football front and especially in terms of recruitment.

"His experience allied to Graham and Kyle's vision for the way they want to build the club on the pitch is an exciting opportunity and we believe they will work superbly together.

Swansea City owners Steve Kaplan, and Jason Levien have some pressing questions to answer

"We made it clear in the statement last month that the club had to press the re-set button to some extent. Trevor's arrival allows us to do that."

Birch added that he wanted to bring back stability to the Swans, both on and off the pitch.

The latter days of Jenkins' tenure were marked by discontent from supporters at how the club was being run in the wake of Premier League relegation.

Birch insisted he was a "football man" and cited his experience as a player and in charge at big clubs.

He said: “I understand a lot of the problems the club has faced, especially after relegation. This job is about re-balancing a football club and getting stability back both in the boardroom and on the pitch, as well as working with the Trust to ensure we're all moving in the same direction. It is a great opportunity to build something long-term at Swansea.

"At heart, I'm a football man. I've played professionally and been involved with clubs as chief executive and while I may have taken time away to build another career, I think I understand and have empathy with what the traditions of a football club should be.

"Perhaps this is a return to basics for Swansea, a club with a strong belief in its culture, that was run lean and mean and building a fantastic reputation for the football it played.

"I think under Graham, there is a real determination to return to that philosophy on the pitch.

"I want to help him and his team in every way possible by working with the rest of the staff behind the scenes to build something of substance that can help support that ambition."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Swansea City confirm appointment of 'football man' T

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm

"Perhaps this is a return to basics for Swansea, a club with a strong belief in its culture, that was run LEAN AND MEAN and building a fantastic reputation for the football it played.

In other words, the Management team are going to have to build a team with a very low budget, and try and pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

I give him two years max and then a fall out over budgets.

Re: Swansea City confirm appointment of 'football man' T

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 am

Bluebina wrote:"Perhaps this is a return to basics for Swansea, a club with a strong belief in its culture, that was run LEAN AND MEAN and building a fantastic reputation for the football it played.

In other words, the Management team are going to have to build a team with a very low budget, and try and pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

I give him two years max and then a fall out over budgets.

not sure they have a budget as such.
lots and lots of cost cutting going on down there behind the scenes and any transfer fees any time soon will be dependant on sales.