Is Nathan Blake a legend?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Is Nathan Blake a legend?

Postby RV Casual » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am

A legend is in the eye of the person really isn't it?

Unless there are set definitions of what a legend is.

I think people mix up stalwart with legend.

For example some of the people mentioned above are CCFC stalwarts, whereas somebody like Chops or Blake are not but some of the things they did are legendary like Chops winning goal against the Jack's or Blakes winning goal against Man City.
RV Casual

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Fergy1927 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Watching City back then could be pretty depressing. Blake was a legend in my eyes for giving us a taste of beating a team from the top division as did Nicky Plautner v Chelsea.

Tall poppy syndrome is rife among footy fans.
Fergy1927

Postby RV Casual » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:Watching City back then could be pretty depressing. Blake was a legend in my eyes for giving us a taste of beating a team from the top division as did Nicky Plautner v Chelsea.

Agreed, he isn't a stalwart but that goal against Man City propelled him into legendary status, it was a small highlight in what was a pretty bleak time following the bluebirds.

Also agree about the tall poppy syndrome, is it a UK trait? Anyone who does well for themselves and the old green eyed monster comes out.

458 games as a pro, 146 goals, 29 Wesh caps, you don't get that be being lazy and going through the motions
RV Casual

Postby Bluebina » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:53 pm

A quality player in his prime, but he thought he was a little bit better than actually was, he could have been a legend except for his ego, I think.
Bluebina

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:45 pm

There is a hardcore of today's support that fell in love with the club in the early nineties and Blakey was undoubtedly the star player of that era. To many of us growing up he was a huge part of the attraction and is absolutely a legend in my eyes - as was Stantona.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby londontaffia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Buchanan's Exocet wrote:Yes I would call him a legend.
He was great for us and scored some great goals.
He was excellent when he wanted to be.
He still cares about the club and I actually find his views interesting.
I don't really understand some people's negativity towards him.

Really liked Blakey, although he could be a lazy so and so.....in my eyes less of a legend that Platnuer, Pike, Perry etc who were always more committed to the club than Blake.
Only my opinion but Legend for me should be for Chops, Earnie, Kavanagh and Scott Young (for the Leeds game) etc..
If he’d stayed for longer he might have been a ‘Legend’ but he bailed out on us too early I think.....
londontaffia

Postby JB1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Blakey wasn't a grafter and he'd be the first to admit that. He'd spend a lot of the time standing around with his hands on his hips. But, when he got the ball you knew he could change the game. He had that belief in his talent and came across as arrogant, but who cares? He was a young lad doing the business and worth the entrance fee. I wish some of our current players had his confidence. No doubt he could've been a better player and in the modern game he probably would've been. It was a long time ago :-) Was and still is a ledge, along with a few other players from back then.
JB1

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm

londontaffia wrote:

Really liked Blakey, although he could be a lazy so and so.....in my eyes less of a legend that Platnuer, Pike, Perry etc who were always more committed to the club than Blake.
Only my opinion but Legend for me should be for Chops, Earnie, Kavanagh and Scott Young (for the Leeds game) etc..
If he’d stayed for longer he might have been a ‘Legend’ but he bailed out on us too early I think.....

come off it, bailed out too early..
yeah loads of players turn down playing in the premier league and instead stick around to play in the bottom half of the third tier..
dogfound

Postby londontaffia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 am

dogfound wrote:
londontaffia wrote:

yeah loads of players turn down playing in the premier league and instead stick around to play in the bottom half of the third tier..

Might be wrong so happy to be corrected, but when he was signed by Sheffield I’m sure he had a chance to play for us in a final game but decided against it.....I remember he didn’t cover himself in glory the way he left. He was great for us, but he was always about himself....
londontaffia

Postby dogfound » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 am

londontaffia wrote:
dogfound wrote:
londontaffia wrote:

Might be wrong so happy to be corrected, but when he was signed by Sheffield I’m sure he had a chance to play for us in a final game but decided against it.....I remember he didn’t cover himself in glory the way he left. He was great for us, but he was always about himself....

there are always rumours, but how often do you see this final game by a player being transfered..?.its more often the opposite where a club will pull the player if there is any possibility of a big money move { which it was for us and him at the time }.
not sure what you mean by not covering himself with glory.

i do not think for one minute any of our fans would be very impressed at some kid who we were shelling out a small fortune for wanting to play one more game for Rochdale or Accrington or some other bottom half lge1 club either , most get annoyed if our players go on international duty.
dogfound

Postby Fergy1927 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Fergy1927 wrote:Watching City back then could be pretty depressing. Blake was a legend in my eyes for giving us a taste of beating a team from the top division as did Nicky Plautner v Chelsea.

Agreed, he isn't a stalwart but that goal against Man City propelled him into legendary status, it was a small highlight in what was a pretty bleak time following the bluebirds.

Also agree about the tall poppy syndrome, is it a UK trait? Anyone who does well for themselves and the old green eyed monster comes out.

458 games as a pro, 146 goals, 29 Wesh caps, you don't get that be being lazy and going through the motions

I don't know about the UK RV Casual, but it is a well know trait of the general public here in Australia where people love a working class Aussie battler until he becomes rich and famous. I'd never heard of the phrase until I moved here. I'll always have fond memories of Blake, Stant, Perry and all those legends (in my eyes as a teenager supporting City).
Fergy1927

Postby Ibby » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ibby

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 am

This is what a Legend looks like.
Attachments
00DF1ADB-657F-42A1-AA89-B0331F170DE2.jpeg
00DF1ADB-657F-42A1-AA89-B0331F170DE2.jpeg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Llan_Blue