CITY 'GENIUS' WHO SHOULD RETURN TO SIDE FOR EVERTON GAME

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

The Cardiff City genius Neil Warnock must reinstate for Everton and Watford crunch ties
By Dominic Booth

Tuesday 19th February 2019

Cardiff have won two big Premier League games without him, but he needs to come back into Neil Warnock's side

It may sound bizarre to those outside the Welsh capital, but if Cardiff City want to continue the form that saw them beat Bournemouth and Southampton, they need to bring in a player who didn't start either game.

That the Bluebirds managed to pull off potentially season-defining wins against the two south coast clubs without Victor Camarasa was quite a feat in itself.

It was testament to the spirit fostered by Neil Warnock, whose side have been galvanised since the Emiliano Sala tragedy.

But even the most ardent Cardiff supporter would struggle to claim they're not a better team with Camarasa involved.

These are the arguments why he must return to the starting XI for the vital home games against Watford and Everton and the ruthless selection decisions Warnock must make...

Victor vital to keeping it

Cardiff might have ground out stirring victories against Bournemouth and Southampton , but they didn't pass the ball as well as they actually can.

The win at St Mary's in particular was a smash-and-grab triumph, a classic away performance with late drama to seal it. The Bluebirds enjoyed just 33 per cent of possession — and only 27 per cent against the Cherries, although they had 18 shots at goal across the two games.

Both Everton and Watford will arrive at Cardiff City Stadium expecting to dictate the play.

And while Warnock will be content with ceding the majority of the ball, he recognises Cardiff's best performance this season have come when they've passed the ball more.

Take the stunning 1-0 win at Leicester around Christmas time, for example, in which Camarasa was the man of the match.

The Spaniard not only spanked home a injury-time pearler, but he kept the Bluebirds ticking in midfield as they enjoyed 38 per cent of the ball and created 12 shots on goal.

Cardiff's rousing 4-2 win over Fulham earlier in the season was similar; 40 per cent possession, 22 shots and Camarasa heavily involved.

Whenever the on-loan Real Betis midfielder plays — and plays well — Cardiff tend to have a greater share of the ball and therefore create more chances to score.

These next two home games, in which they'll be backed by sell-out Welsh crowds, are opportunities the Bluebirds cannot afford to spurn.

Who drops out?

Camarasa would be the first to admit that, on his previous two starts for the Bluebirds, against Huddersfield and Newcastle, he wasn't at his best.

But a combination of injury — the hectic British festive schedule taking its toll on a player who has been accustomed to winter breaks — and positioning were to blame.

At St James' Park, for example, he played in an uncomfortable deeper midfield position, while at home to the Terriers he struggled to get forward and provide support for striker Callum Paterson.

The problem for Warnock is that Camarasa's best performances for Cardiff have been in an advanced midfield berth, pushing on into the pocket behind a striker.

That's the position in which Bobby Decordova-Reid has shone in recent weeks, excelling against Arsenal and Bournemouth, although he was muscled out of the Southampton contest a little.

Warnock may want to continue with Reid and Oumar Niasse up front. They have proven to be a potent pairing.

So, whether or not he continues with the 3-5-2 that has been effective of late, or switches to four at the back, it means one of Harry Arter, Joe Ralls or Aron Gunnarsson must drop out to accommodate Camarasa — who we must not forget set up Kenneth

There's a strong chance Warnock will return to his favourite 4-3-3 formation for the next two home clashes.

That should mean playing Reid out wide on the right (or benched), with Camarasa tending to be less effective when shoe-horned into a wing role.

What Warnock will do

Cardiff's upturn in form before the break for FA Cup action was founded on their rock-solid back six: Neil Etheridge, Lee Peltier, Bruno Manga, Sol Bamba, Joe Bennett and Paterson.

Despite a couple of changes of position — such as Paterson dropping into the back five, or moving up to right wing — all put their bodies on the line to grind out vital points at various stages.

So even if captain Sean Morrison is fit enough to return, those six should remain in the side.

Niasse is almost certain to lead the line, having added pace and power up front, while Gunnarsson will play the holding role in front of the back four.

That leaves Warnock three positions to fill. Whatever system he goes with, Camarasa needs to be one of them, with Arter and Reid likely to be the others.

Josh Murphy and Ralls, among others, would rightly consider themselves unfortunate.

The bare fact of the matter, however, is Camarasa is too good a player to ignore; good enough for Cardiff to tweak their system to suit him.
Attachments
0_JS171704135-2.jpg
0_JS171704135-2.jpg (36.27 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
Victor Camarasa.jpg
Victor Camarasa.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CITY 'GENIUS' WHO SHOULD RETURN TO SIDE FOR EVERTON GAME

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Should only be considered if 100% fit. I really hope he doesn't drop Reid.
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Should only be considered if 100% fit. I really hope he doesn't drop Reid.

Reid should be on the sheet in indelible ink tight now! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:22 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Should only be considered if 100% fit. I really hope he doesn't drop Reid.

tough call tbh.
dogfound

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:54 pm

dogfound wrote:

tough call tbh.

Arter Ralls and Camarassa with Reid out wide :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 pm

I think Reid can be a little wasted out wide, in the middle linking up with Niasse for me. I'd probably either bench Camarasa or drop Ralls.
2blue2handle

Postby montyblue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Drop ralls sadly, camarassa passing through balls for niasse to run onto instead of up in the air to patters, we now have players to run onto threaded passes.
montyblue

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

montyblue wrote:Drop ralls sadly, camarassa passing through balls for niasse to run onto instead of up in the air to patters, we now have players to run onto threaded passes.

I tend to agree, harsh on Ralls but I think Arter and gunner with Camarasa sounds pretty good.
2blue2handle

Postby montyblue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:03 pm

2BLUE 2HANDLE

i had a thought of trying bacuna instead of gunarrson but perhaps he could come on when gunarrson tires he looked good when he came on and a cracking side foot shot.
montyblue

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:26 pm

montyblue wrote:2BLUE 2HANDLE

i had a thought of trying bacuna instead of gunarrson but perhaps he could come on when gunarrson tires he looked good when he came on and a cracking side foot shot.

I'm not a Gunnerson fan but I know little of Bacuna and I think for the time with results going well I think to many changes make upset some consistency.
2blue2handle

Postby bluecityblue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Can Niasse play against Everton?
bluecityblue

Postby montyblue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 pm

BLUECITYBLUE

No, Niasse cannot play against his club; same as Arter against Bournemouth, so Zohore should get 1st start on Tuesday, unless he injures himself.
montyblue

Postby bluecityblue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 pm

montyblue wrote:BLUECITYBLUE

No, Niasse cannot play against his club; same as Arter against Bournemouth, so Zohore should get 1st start on Tuesday, unless he injures himself.

I didn't think so, only it hasn't been said on this thread yet. I'm sure Warnock will be beasting Zahore in training this week ready for him getting a chance in place of Niasse. Players have had a rest, Back 5 picking themselves with recent performances and we have options going forward, looking good for the run in :thumbup:
bluecityblue

Return to General Chat