Cardiff may sue Nantes for negligence over Sala?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:24 am

Cardiff may sue Nantes for negligence over Sala
By Ben Rumsby, Tom Morgan and Harry Harris

Daily Telegraph

Sunday 17th February 2019

Cardiff City could launch a negligence claim against Nantes as soon as this week if an official report finds Emiliano Sala was flown to his death by a pilot who did not have the correct licence.

Senior figures at Cardiff are bracing themselves for an escalation in a legal row in which they were given until the end of last week to pay the first instalment of his £15 million ($A27 million) transfer fee.

Cardiff have frozen all payments while they wait for answers about how their record signing died and whether anyone could be held liable. Some of those answers could be provided this week, the Air Accidents Investigations Bureau having said it intended to publish an interim report into the January 21 crash within a month of it occurring.

Cardiff have also conducted an internal investigation that The Telegraph has been told has found no evidence pilot David Ibbotson held the licence necessary to carry passengers on a commercial basis.

If the AAIB confirms Ibbotson was not qualified for the trip, senior figures believe that would constitute negligence on the part of whoever recruited the part-time gas boiler engineer.

They also believe liability for that could be extended to cover Willie and Mark McKay - who admitted arranging Sala's flight but not selecting the plane or pilot - and, in turn, Nantes, for whom the duo had been working.

A successful negligence claim against the French club would slash the transfer fee owed to them for the player, where they have threatened legal action.

Cardiff could attempt to reduce the figure further by arguing the change of ownership of Sala was incomplete when he died as he had yet to be registered to play in the Premier League.

CARDIFF CITY CHAIRMAN MEHMET DALMAN:

Chairman Mehmet Dalman said: "We believe that the player was not registered with the Premier League".

It can also be revealed that Cardiff broke their transfer record to sign Sala despite major concerns about the deal at boardroom level.

More than one source has said that City's four-man transfer committee was split over buying the striker, with a vote ending 3-1 in favour of doing so.

When asked about the split, Dalman said: "I really don't think it is appropriate for me to comment at this stage but your line of inquiry is not necessarily wrong."
Attachments
1_JS112865108-1.jpg
1_JS112865108-1.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff may sue Nantes for negligence over Sala?

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 am

Hmmmmm ???

Chairman Mehmet Dalman said: "We believe that the player was not registered with the Premier League".

It can also be revealed that Cardiff broke their transfer record to sign Sala despite major concerns about the deal at boardroom level.

More than one source has said that City's four-man transfer committee was split over buying the striker, with a vote ending 3-1 in favour of doing so.

When asked about the split, Dalman said: "I really don't think it is appropriate for me to comment at this stage but your line of inquiry is not necessarily wrong."
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 am

Forever Blue wrote:Hmmmmm ???

Surely the 3-1 split on the board wanting to sign him is irrelevant though.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 am

In a interview with the press NW said he was my player
Pembroke bluebird

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 am

Sven wrote:Cardiff may sue Nantes for negligence over Sala

Daily Telegraph

Cardiff City could launch a negligence claim against Nantes as soon as this week if an official report finds Emiliano Sala was flown to his death by a pilot who did not have the correct licence.

Senior figures at Cardiff are bracing themselves for an escalation in a legal row in which they were given until the end of last week to pay the first instalment of his £15 million ($A27 million) transfer fee.

Cardiff have frozen all payments while they wait for answers about how their record signing died and whether anyone could be held liable. Some of those answers could be provided this week, the Air Accidents Investigations Bureau having said it intended to publish an interim report into the January 21 crash within a month of it occurring.

Cardiff have also conducted an internal investigation that The Telegraph has been told has found no evidence pilot David Ibbotson held the licence necessary to carry passengers on a commercial basis.

If the AAIB confirms Ibbotson was not qualified for the trip, senior figures believe that would constitute negligence on the part of whoever recruited the part-time gas boiler engineer.

They also believe liability for that could be extended to cover Willie and Mark McKay - who admitted arranging Sala's flight but not selecting the plane or pilot - and, in turn, Nantes, for whom the duo had been working.

A successful negligence claim against the French club would slash the transfer fee owed to them for the player, where they have threatened legal action.

Cardiff could attempt to reduce the figure further by arguing the change of ownership of Sala was incomplete when he died as he had yet to be registered to play in the Premier League.

Sounds like a big legal battle coming up,on the lines of Nantes and there selling agent McKay arranged the flight and the the pilot wasnt legal to fly ,I don't blame the club for doing this why should we lose 15 million when its not our fault
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:In a interview with the press NW said he was my player

yes he did.
dogfound

Postby tubby1982 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 am

dont matter what nw said in fairness if ot had not gone through PL even if he had signed contract
tubby1982

Postby Wayne S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am

tubby1982 wrote:dont matter what nw said in fairness if ot had not gone through PL even if he had signed contract

I hope that we would a bit more integrity on this issue.

The fact that the PL may not have signed off the deal is irrelevant. It's just timing, it WOULD have been sanctioned and that's the end of it.

That said, if there is monetary blame to be made then it lies with who arranges the transport for a player.
Wayne S

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:27 am

wez1927 wrote:

Daily Telegraph

Sounds like a big legal battle coming up,on the lines of Nantes and there selling agent McKay arranged the flight and the the pilot wasnt legal to fly ,I don't blame the club for doing this why should we lose 15 million when its not our fault

Wez, let’s be honest, you’d say you don’t blame the club no matter what they were doing.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:In a interview with the press NW said he was my player

He certainly did, our club has also been going along those lines publicly, sadly we are going to be savaged by the media and other clubs fans.

Does not look good at all, the whole situation never felt right, something smells awful and I said before I hope our club does not become ridiculed and we come out badly from all this.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 am

Wayne S wrote:
tubby1982 wrote:dont matter what nw said in fairness if ot had not gone through PL even if he had signed contract

I hope that we would a bit more integrity on this issue.

The fact that the PL may not have signed off the deal is irrelevant. It's just timing, it WOULD have been sanctioned and that's the end of it.

That said, if there is monetary blame to be made then it lies with who arranges the transport for a player.

!00% agree.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby montyblue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:35 am

I suppose thats the friendly off.
montyblue

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:36 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Daily Telegraph

Wez, let’s be honest, you’d say you don’t blame the club no matter what they were doing.

Correct Ned, WE all have be honest about this and if the plane had not gone down Emiliano Sala was our player was going to play for us that week, our club has been saying for weeks now, Sala was our player and the world has heard that, we suddenly can't see he was not.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:37 am

montyblue wrote:I suppose thats the friendly off.

That was never going to happen, I can see this becoming brutal and we are going to look very bad as a club to the world.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby CHRIS PIKE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

I dont like this, it stinks and its insensitive.
CHRIS PIKE

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

Forever Blue wrote:
montyblue wrote:I suppose thats the friendly off.

That was never going to happen, I can see this becoming brutal and we are going to look very bad as a club to the world.

I agree ,we are going to look bad if we don't already. dont see what premier league registration has to do with it. if there was any doubt at all about them registering him we shouldnt have signed him in the first place.
dogfound

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

It is what I thought would happen all along.

It could well end up with Nantes being grateful for receiving a reduced amount for the deceased Sala and Cardiff suing agent McKay for any amount they do pay.

What I struggle to see is how could Cardiff claim any money for Sala from their Lloyds of London insurance policy if Sala is deemed not to be their player? If, indeed, there is now a claim been put in.

My opinion, Sadly I don't think Cardiff will come out of this with much credit, which will take away all the good we have built up.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:53 am

Forever Blue wrote:It is what I thought would happen all along.

It could well end up with Nantes being grateful for receiving a reduced amount for the deceased Sala and Cardiff suing agent McKay for any amount they do pay.

What I struggle to see is how could Cardiff claim any money for Sala from their Lloyds of London insurance policy if Sala is deemed not to be their player? If, indeed, there is now a claim been put in.

My opinion, Sadly I don't think Cardiff will come out of this with much credit, which will take away all the good we have built up.

it sounds as if there is no insurance mate.
if something goes wrong and your covered you just pass it on to who covers you. its their job to argue the technicalities of who is responsible for what.
dogfound

Postby grange_end1927 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am

As a proud Bluebird, this does not look good for our club, i don't like this at all :?
grange_end1927

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:56 am

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:It is what I thought would happen all along.

it sounds as if there is no insurance mate.
if something goes wrong and your covered you just pass it on to who covers you. its their job to argue the technicalities of who is responsible for what.

I was told with in 48hrs of this terrible tragedy, City were going to come unstuck regarding insurance, I hoped that it was wrong and still is wrong.

Emiliano Sala was registered with the Welsh FA as our player, the first people you need to roster a player with if your Cardiff City :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am

Someone saying he is my player may not be the same as that player legally belonging to the club. When my house was being built, I told everyone it was my house, but until contracts were actually exchanged, it did not legally belong to me. The law can be an odd thing, and I can't blame the club for not splashing out £15m until all the legal requirements are satisfied. It could well be that Cardiff are liable for all the money, but you can hardly expect them to say here is £15m, you can have it even though you are not legally entitled to it. Until all the facts are known, and the AAIB have had their say, hard to blame our club for making certain they are legally bound to fork out what is a very large sum of money.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 am

Cardiff will most likely will be forced to pay the transfer money on the agreed terms.

What Cardiff need to do is invetigate who organised the flight and what precautions they took. If what is being said it was a gas engineer who was the pilot then Cardiff will have a case against the organisers. If the organisers are connected to Nantes then yes I can see the transfer being nullified. This could take time, Cardiff will pay a couple of installments then the subject will come ot a close.
Bakedalasker

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Cardiff will most likely will be forced to pay the transfer money on the agreed terms.

What Cardiff need to do is invetigate who organised the flight and what precautions they took. If what is being said it was a gas engineer who was the pilot then Cardiff will have a case against the organisers. If the organisers are connected to Nantes then yes I can see the transfer being nullified. This could take time, Cardiff will pay a couple of installments then the subject will come ot a close.

Ian, the problem issuing the agents, I have heard the main one is virtually bankrupt on paper.

The three instalments are £5mill every year for three years, plus £3mill if we stay up this season. £5mill was was frozen over 3weeks ago by City.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am

Sky Sports:

16/02/19

NEIL WARNOCK: "Emiliano Sala was my player,he signed for me and Cardiff City"
Attachments
2C4EF520-7421-473E-A6DD-91C368E0B6C9.jpeg
2C4EF520-7421-473E-A6DD-91C368E0B6C9.jpeg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 6960 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Cardiff will most likely will be forced to pay the transfer money on the agreed terms.

Ian, the problem issuing the agents, I have heard the main one is virtually bankrupt on paper.

The three instalments are £5mill every year for three years, plus £3mill if we stay up this season. £5mill was was frozen over 3weeks ago by City.

They will have insurance annis,legal and public liability,doesnt matter if they going bankrupt in the future thet will have to pay out still even if the company goes through
wez1927

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am

Help us avoid Emiliano Sala payment: Cardiff seek Premier League clubs' advice on escaping £15m transfer fee

Daily Mail

16/02/19

Cardiff City have contacted other Premier League clubs in an attempt to establish whether there may be grounds to avoid paying the full £15million transfer fee being demanded by Nantes for Emiliano Sala, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Letters sent in the past few days by lawyers acting for the club request help in ‘fighting off Nantes’ legal claim’, according to one source. They ask clubs for assistance in ‘sharing your knowledge of Sala as a player’.

The correspondence from a Cardiff law firm describes Sala as ‘the player that Cardiff tried to sign’, phrasing which makes it clear that the club believe they may not have to pay all — or indeed any — of the record transfer fee.

Details of the letters — which Cardiff on Saturday confirmed were sent — emerged as manager Neil Warnock and chief executive Ken Choo arrived in Argentina for the player’s wake and funeral.

The Mail on Sunday can reveal that Cardiff’s decision to approach Premier League clubs publicly linked with Sala is partly motivated by transfer broker Willie McKay’s admission in an email to the striker that he had sought to artificially inflate the price. McKay told Sala he had told the media of rival interest ‘just to stimulate interest in you’.

The club are seeking to establish whether there was indeed any interest at all from other clubs. McKay’s email to Sala listed Everton and West Ham as clubs he had linked the player to, though Crystal Palace, Fulham, Burnley and Wolves were also reported to be keen.
Attachments
1_JS112865108-1.jpg
1_JS112865108-1.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 6892 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:32 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

They will have insurance annis,legal and public liability,doesnt matter if they going bankrupt in the future thet will have to pay out still even if the company goes through

My big worry is Wez, in my opinion the agents are totally corrupt and know how to go under at the right time.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:Help us avoid Emiliano Sala payment: Cardiff seek Premier League clubs' advice on escaping £15m transfer fee

Daily Mail

16/02/19

Cardiff City have contacted other Premier League clubs in an attempt to establish whether there may be grounds to avoid paying the full £15million transfer fee being demanded by Nantes for Emiliano Sala, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Letters sent in the past few days by lawyers acting for the club request help in ‘fighting off Nantes’ legal claim’, according to one source. They ask clubs for assistance in ‘sharing your knowledge of Sala as a player’.

The correspondence from a Cardiff law firm describes Sala as ‘the player that Cardiff tried to sign’, phrasing which makes it clear that the club believe they may not have to pay all — or indeed any — of the record transfer fee.

Details of the letters — which Cardiff on Saturday confirmed were sent — emerged as manager Neil Warnock and chief executive Ken Choo arrived in Argentina for the player’s wake and funeral.

The Mail on Sunday can reveal that Cardiff’s decision to approach Premier League clubs publicly linked with Sala is partly motivated by transfer broker Willie McKay’s admission in an email to the striker that he had sought to artificially inflate the price. McKay told Sala he had told the media of rival interest ‘just to stimulate interest in you’.

The club are seeking to establish whether there was indeed any interest at all from other clubs. McKay’s email to Sala listed Everton and West Ham as clubs he had linked the player to, though Crystal Palace, Fulham, Burnley and Wolves were also reported to be keen.

Seems they are going to go after the agents
wez1927

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:34 am

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman has confirmed the club WILL pay the £15million transfer fee to Nantes for striker Emiliano Sala "if contractually obliged".

BBC

16/02/19

The Bluebirds have so far been unwilling to release the funds for Sala, despite a demand from selling club Nantes, after the striker's death in a plane crash over the English Channel.

The club wants answers to many of the unsolved questions surrounding the tragedy, such as whether all the paperwork had been completed on the transfer and around the details of the doomed flight piloted by David Ibbotson.

Cardiff are ready for a potential legal battle with the French club over the situation with Dalman believing there are "anomalies" over whether Sala — whose body was recovered from the wreckage and identified last week — was fully registered with the Premier League club.
Attachments
1_JS112865108-1.jpg
1_JS112865108-1.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 6838 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:35 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Help us avoid Emiliano Sala payment: Cardiff seek Premier League clubs' advice on escaping £15m transfer fee

Daily Mail

16/02/19

Seems they are going to go after the agents

But,
My big worry is Wez, in my opinion the agents are totally corrupt and know how to go under at the right time.

Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat