I miss the terraces

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I miss the terraces

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I do miss em..walking up to the Bob Bank, you could feel the vibe coming off the crowd, especially for the big cup games or Home Internationals, sort of electric atmosphere.
If there’s one thing about the modern footie I miss, that’s it.
rumpo kid

I miss the terraces

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The terraces

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Time for safe standing mate. Sure it will come to us soon, hopefully.
Melsuttonholyboots

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Time for safe standing mate. Sure it will come to us soon, hopefully.

Remember the "boys enclosure" for 6d or something ?
I went in there a few times but I must admit that I had a season ticket in the Canton Stand when I was 15 or 16. I never enjoyed idiots performing in the Grange End to be honest . Can't understand it myself , but if people want to stand up and get thrown up on and stuff, good luck to them
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Time for safe standing mate. Sure it will come to us soon, hopefully.

how people don't get serious injury in the seating during goal celebrations beats me seen three people fall over seating last Saturday alone.
dogfound

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:43 pm

dogfound wrote:

how people don't get serious injury in the seating during goal celebrations beats me seen three people fall over seating last Saturday alone.

One bloke fell over and I grabbed his coat only for another bloke to fall on top of me :laughing5:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:46 pm

No objection to safe standing from me although my preference has always been a seat. Mind you I've always stood at away games and its never bothered me.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

One bloke fell over and I grabbed his coat only for another bloke to fall on top of me :laughing5:

seen at least half a dozen loose their footing at the Emirates all slipping on those disguarded plastic yellow cards they gave us
dogfound

Postby Bridgend_bluebird » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:41 pm

dogfound wrote:

I remember pompey away a few years ago. We scored and a guy who used to post on here, Canton Stand Baz, fell on me which led to me going over the next row! Wasn't pleasant to say the least. :laughing6: hell of a trip though. :D
Win or lose I'll Be there with my ticket and a pint!
Bridgend_bluebird

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

best ever though has to be that Beaky fella falling out the top tier in Millwall , and when a very concerned steward went to untangle him from the lower tier seats { no serious injuries } said. you must be made of rubber , to which Beaky replies no , im from the rhondda
dogfound

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

I went in there a few times but I must admit that I had a season ticket in the Canton Stand when I was 15 or 16. I never enjoyed idiots performing in the Grange End to be honest . Can't understand it myself , but if people want to stand up and get thrown up on and stuff, good luck to them

Well I spent years in the Grange End as a youngster and never got ‘thrown up on and stuff’ in my life.
Fantastic days, full of fun, adventure, passion, camaraderie and banter.

:bluescarf:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby dogfound » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Well I spent years in the Grange End as a youngster and never got ‘thrown up on and stuff’ in my life.

fantastic days , full of fun, adventure , passion , camaraderie and banter is how i would describe it.
never been thrown up on either...but never went in the boys enclosure down the front either. sounds like it was crazier in there than i gave it credit for. :o
dogfound

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:56 pm

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

fantastic days , full of fun, adventure , passion , camaraderie and banter is how i would describe it.
never been thrown up on either...but never went in the boys enclosure down the front either. sounds like it was crazier in there than i gave it credit for. :o

Yeah, must have been crazy in the boys enclosure if Sir Jimmy SCOULAR was in there :lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby JJ1927 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:56 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

You must have been a bundle of laughs at 15! For me I will always remember the excitement of the Grange End in the very early seventies when we were chasing promotion to the First Division. Its probably what got me and many others of that generation hooked on the City. I was still in school and scores of us would meet on the train and all stand together at the back. Great days. Looking back I don't know how safe it was because the old wooden terrace at the back used to creak and rock when we were jumping about. But we didn't care then!
JJ1927

Postby tylorstown18891 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I was only young in the np days but can remember walking in to the stands when my oldman would take me, my hairs on my arms would raise as soon as we got in. Looked like a wild day out for the older generation
tylorstown18891

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 am

JJ1927 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

You must have been a bundle of laughs at 15! For me I will always remember the excitement of the Grange End in the very early seventies when we were chasing promotion to the First Division. Its probably what got me and many others of that generation hooked on the City. I was still in school and scores of us would meet on the train and all stand together at the back. Great days. Looking back I don't know how safe it was because the old wooden terrace at the back used to creak and rock when we were jumping about. But we didn't care then!

Yeah I used to go on the train with my mates and meet up after the game, but I went off to watch the game in the Canton Stand and they went to wherever they went. I was quite a bundle of laughs as you put it though and although they used to take the piss a bit about me allegedly watching the game in an armchair with a butler serving Martinis they used to make sure I was with them on the way back to the station in case they managed to get involved in a punch up.
I used to do all sorts of jobs before and after school to pay for the stand, so why wouldn't I go for a better standard ?
I must have gone in there a few times though, because now that you mention it I do remember standing at the back thumping the corrugated tin panels and thinking that it might collapse .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby maccydee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

6d? What’s that?
maccydee

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

maccydee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

6d? What’s that?

not a full shilling
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:27 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

6d? What’s that?

not a full shilling

Yes !
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fair do's Dogfound - Brilliant Comment !
A quality one liner I'd be proud of :ayatollah:
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Yeah, must have been crazy in the boys enclosure if Sir Jimmy SCOULAR was in there :lol:

he has changed his mind, he was up the back banging the sheeting.
shame his name isn't jack. could make a film of it. from a jack to a skin. :lol:
dogfound

Re: I miss the terraces

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Yes, I'm sorry. I'm afraid that I've been to a lot of places since then and rhythmically thumping a bit of corrugated tin one evening about 50 years ago wasn't really a high point, but it came back to me you see with that vivid description.

- I really did like the ' not the full shilling ' line though . It was professional standard !
SirJimmySchoular

Postby deadmouse » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 am

:thumbup:
deadmouse

Postby epping blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:37 am

I'm not sure safe standing will do much if anything for the atmosphere. Its what happens away anyway. It was the density of the crowd on terraces that provided the atmosphere, must have 2 or 3 times the number of people per unit of area. In fact games like Real Madrid and Hereford there were probably 5 or 6 times the density that you get these days. What we really need is unsafe standing, twice the people at half the cost ( ish ). Of course I don't mean actually unsafe but in reality there were very accidents caused by standing. Hillsborough wasn't caused by standing, it was caused in the main by a lack of crowd control. The terrace split into 3 sections and the possibility tragically too many choosing to go in the same section.
epping blue

Postby dogfound » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm

epping blue wrote:I'm not sure safe standing will do much if anything for the atmosphere. Its what happens away anyway. It was the density of the crowd on terraces that provided the atmosphere, must have 2 or 3 times the number of people per unit of area. In fact games like Real Madrid and Hereford there were probably 5 or 6 times the density that you get these days. What we really need is unsafe standing, twice the people at half the cost ( ish ). Of course I don't mean actually unsafe but in reality there were very accidents caused by standing. Hillsborough wasn't caused by standing, it was caused in the main by a lack of crowd control. The terrace split into 3 sections and the possibility tragically too many choosing to go in the same section.

the only way that decision would ever be reversed is if god forbid there was a disaster in a seated stand.

safe standing is the best we can hope for.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I would be interested to see how it sells. Im assuming a ticket would cost the same as a seated ticket as looks to be the same space on what articles ive seen.
2blue2handle

Postby Bluebirdaff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am

Me and all my mates went down like a sack of bricks at Leicester, arsenal and Southampton, Leicester had to be the worst, my Mrs had to stop me falling the third time, ten seconds after the first fall :occasion5:
Bluebirdaff

Return to General Chat