Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We are unique as a Club

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 am

Having followed the bluebirds since i was a lad, (i am now 63), I would say that as a club, as a group of fans, as manager and indeed a team we now have a bond with each other like no other club in football, it is indeed a family ( all be it a very large family) all sharing the grief.

In a strange way i now think we are better placed to void the drop out of the premier than if we had our star signing playing and scoring the goals to keep us up. I think we are all ( together) going to pull it off for the sake of Sala's memory in spite of all the odds stacked against us.

Lets all stay up for Sala :ayatollah: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Re: We are unique as a Club

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 am

I don't know . Most clubs have a similar thing going in their area in my experience , which is not in any way to diminish Cardiff City. I think we've got an element of collective determination which is unusual, but equally we sometimes lack both confidence and ambition.
I get annoyed when people keep talking about how lucky we are to be where we are and asking how long we can stay there, because I honestly see no reason whatever why we shouldn't be at least a regular top half premiership team. Cardiff isn't a very big place, but neither are Bournemouth or Watford, yet they maintain their position perfectly well.
If anything we should be able to punch above our weight and get extra credibility due to the Capital of Wales thing. The city itself is much more well known because of that than it might justify on population or actual significance, and that should be exploited better.

Having said all this, I agree with and applaud your general sentiments and it'll certainly always be THE unique club to us !

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I don't know . Most clubs have a similar thing going in their area in my experience , which is not in any way to diminish Cardiff City. I think we've got an element of collective determination which is unusual, but equally we sometimes lack both confidence and ambition.
I get annoyed when people keep talking about how lucky we are to be where we are and asking how long we can stay there, because I honestly see no reason whatever why we shouldn't be at least a regular top half premiership team. Cardiff isn't a very big place, but neither are Bournemouth or Watford, yet they maintain their position perfectly well.
If anything we should be able to punch above our weight and get extra credibility due to the Capital of Wales thing. The city itself is much more well known because of that than it might justify on population or actual significance, and that should be exploited better.

Having said all this, I agree with and applaud your general sentiments and it'll certainly always be THE unique club to us !

Your saying cardiff isnt a big place but your forgetting the surrounding welsh valleys along with barry and newport. We could be known as the welsh giants one day. Like the catalan giants playing in the spanish league (barcelona) we could be the welsh giants playing in the english league. We are miles away from that but we have the potential and like the OP says we are unique, and definitely unique in the reasons i posted above to future potential mega money investers who wanted to truly turn this unique club in to the welsh giants.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Not a small place either, but even with surrounding areas it hasn't got the population or money of London, Manchester or Liverpool for example. Nonetheless it's big enough to support a good premiership team as I said, and I don't think we disagree at all about our potential

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I don't know . Most clubs have a similar thing going in their area in my experience , which is not in any way to diminish Cardiff City. I think we've got an element of collective determination which is unusual, but equally we sometimes lack both confidence and ambition.

I posted on here a few years back regarding the Cardiff population and the fact that we are a 1 club City, taking that into account we are in the top 10 clubs in the country vs population, so on the flip side of that yes we could be a top 10 club in the premier league.

However you won’t get to that in one or two seasons, if we can stay up now and build each season then I reckon a minimum of 5 seasons and we could be then pushing top half. (Forever the optimist)

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Welsh Exile wrote:

I posted on here a few years back regarding the Cardiff population and the fact that we are a 1 club City, taking that into account we are in the top 10 clubs in the country vs population, so on the flip side of that yes we could be a top 10 club in the premier league.

However you won’t get to that in one or two seasons, if we can stay up now and build each season then I reckon a minimum of 5 seasons and we could be then pushing top half. (Forever the optimist)

You say about the population of cardiff but have you taken into account the population of newport barry and the south wales valleys too? Also more time we spend in the top flight our support will creep into areas of west and north wales too

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:58 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:

You say about the population of cardiff but have you taken into account the population of newport barry and the south wales valleys too? Also more time we spend in the top flight our support will creep into areas of west and north wales too

That’s exactly my point, the longer we stay in the top flight then the bigger the attraction, surrounding areas, the whole of Wales and beyond.

The more people that support us the more revenue that comes in etc, success breeds success as they say.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 pm

As a club and group of fans etc etc we have bonded like no other team in football?

This sentence alone I have an issue with, I’m not denying what our club has been through these past few weeks is devastating but seriously let’s look at football history of incidents that brought clubs, staff and fans together:

Not in any particular order

1) Hillsborough
2) Chapacoense team plane crash
3) Hesel
4) Bradford
5) Munich air disaster

5 different events that were all devastating and brought everybody together

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 pm

snoopystorm wrote:As a club and group of fans etc etc we have bonded like no other team in football?

This sentence alone I have an issue with, I’m not denying what our club has been through these past few weeks is devastating but seriously let’s look at football history of incidents that brought clubs, staff and fans together:

Not in any particular order

1) Hillsborough
2) Chapacoense team plane crash
3) Hesel
4) Bradford
5) Munich air disaster

5 different events that were all devastating and brought everybody together

Also Torino, who share a city with Juventus.

CCFC are a great club, with our own culture and traditions, which I'm proud of. But lots of clubs have that too. Plenty of clubs claim to be 'unique'. Millwall, for example. We are who we are!