Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Southampton v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Southampton win
9%
Cardiff City win
64%
Draw
27%

Total votes : 64

Re: LATEST NEWS “ SOUTHAMPTON v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:33 pm

LATEST TEAM NEWS :bluebird:

Southampton will be without star striker Danny Ings, who has a hamstring injury.

The hosts are likely to have Ryan Bertrand, Maya Yoshida and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg back in their squad, with the trio all returning to Saints training in the past week.

Cardiff will have Harry Arter back for this one, after the midfielder missed their 2-0 win over Bournemouth as he was ineligible to face his parent club.

Victor Camarasa is still a doubt, with Sean Morrison out after having an appendix operation.

Neil Warnock could name the same side that beat the cherries, with Arter competing for a midfield berth but Oumar Niasse and Bobby Decordova-Reid likely to continue their partnership up front.

Danny Ings: Southampton striker out for up to three weeks with hamstring injury

Ings’ absence will give an opportunity for either Charlie Austin or Shane Long to lead the line in attack after falling behind their teammate in the pecking order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm

On the relegation battle and Southampton

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We’ve had to work hard, like we did on the Bournemouth fixture - especially after beating Chelsea 4-0. You have to work on your strengths and what you think are the opponents’ weaknesses. Clubs like Southampton maybe didn’t expect to be in the position they’re in, whereas we did. We’ll go there in good spirits and give them a good game.
In the next few games, there’s no game we shouldn’t try and win. We want a good result on Saturday.”

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm

NEIL WARNOCK:

Tributes planned for Southampton

"I think we’ve got to pay our respects with the situation now coming to an end, regarding Emiliano. We’ll wear black armbands and have a minute’s silence. I’m sure the Southampton fans will want that as well.”

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Team talk for Southampton

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I don’t think I have to mention Emiliano. The tributes will have an impact. I’ve asked the Premier League if we can wear shirts with the daffodils and I’m sure they’ll allow that.”

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Injury news

NEIL WARNOCK:

Harry Arter is back, Victor possibly. We have to be a little bit careful with Victor.”

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Both teams will be wearing black armbands at tomorrow’s match in honour of Emiliano Sala.

A minute’s silence will also be held ahead of the game.

Forever in our hearts. Forever a Bluebird!

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Ings out is a big boost, but Redmond and Ward-Prowse are different players under Hassenhuttl.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 am

bluemun wrote:Ings out is a big boost, but Redmond and Ward-Prowse are different players under Hassenhuttl.

Who are they then ?
If you can prove this we should report it to FIFA .

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 am

And what's he done with the other two chaps ?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 am

Best we can hope for is a score draw here 1-1. Do not think we will keep a clean sheet. If Ralls plays he will be out of his depth despite a fairly decent showing v Bournemouth. NEED to play Murphy such an outlet especially away from home and would be much more confident if Arter and Camarasa are in the team but I suspect only Arter will get the nod which leaves us with a lack of quality to win away from home. The fact our only away win consisted of a goal, save and clearance out of the top drawer says it all. I want to believe after recent events that we can go away and grab the points against a rival within 2 points of us but feel we will dominated by the saints and will lose this 2-1. Thoughts?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
bluemun wrote:Ings out is a big boost, but Redmond and Ward-Prowse are different players under Hassenhuttl.

Who are they then ?

Who??

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:31 am

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Best we can hope for is a score draw here 1-1. Do not think we will keep a clean sheet. If Ralls plays he will be out of his depth despite a fairly decent showing v Bournemouth. NEED to play Murphy such an outlet especially away from home and would be much more confident if Arter and Camarasa are in the team but I suspect only Arter will get the nod which leaves us with a lack of quality to win away from home. The fact our only away win consisted of a goal, save and clearance out of the top drawer says it all. I want to believe after recent events that we can go away and grab the points against a rival within 2 points of us but feel we will dominated by the saints and will lose this 2-1. Thoughts?

Don't understand why you think a score draw rather than a no score draw if a draw it be.
If you think we can score one goal but needn't get a clean sheet that's odd because that seems to suggest that we'd prefer a 1-1 draw to a 1-0 win.
If we play as well as we have done in the last two games we can win the game, but who knows whether we can be consistent ?
Southamptons initial boost with new manager appears to have faded but you can never write them off.
This is such a hard game to call that I'm neither confident nor negative about it. I think we're in a tactical position though where we must go after them from the start and be determined to win because we need the points and if possible we have to deny points to other teams in the struggle against relegation .

My biggest worry is the psychology because if this forum is anything to go by, the support for the team and interest in results has more or less gone now , in favour of a collective morbid obsession with the recent tragic accident and inventing new ways to keep the drama going. This is bound to transmit itself to the team eventually and once that happens it's a one way ticket to the championship whatever happens .

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:40 am

Bananas wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Who are they then ?

Who??

Ah, well you see this is exactly why you shouldn't try and start clever little word battles to put people down as you recently did so disastrously in another thread.
It was just a little joke which you didn't catch on to ,that's all. I was pretending to take his metaphor about them being "different players" literally you see. Doesn't matter.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:40 am

Southampton will be without star striker Danny Ings, who has a hamstring injury.

The hosts are likely to have Ryan Bertrand, Maya Yoshida and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg back in their squad, with the trio all returning to Saints training in the past week.

Cardiff will have Harry Arter back for this one, after the midfielder missed their 2-0 win over Bournemouth as he was ineligible to face his parent club.

Victor Camarasa is still a doubt, with Sean Morrison out after having an appendix operation.

Neil Warnock could name the same side that beat the cherries, with Arter competing for a midfield berth but Oumar Niasse and Bobby Decordova-Reid likely to continue their partnership up front.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:Southampton will be without star striker Danny Ings, who has a hamstring injury.

Never change a winning team.
I'd definitely start the same team to see whether they can continue that rhythm from the last two games , with Harry and if possible Victor on the bench. Not our best team on paper , and I'd never have picked it in the first place but you can't argue with those performances . Can't last forever so the best players won't be out for long anyway, but I say milk it whilst you can !
This game can go either way, but it's a bloody big opportunity if we can pull it off when you look at one of the other fixtures.

It's against my general philosophy , but at this stage we've got to attack from the getgo and try to win every game as if it's a cup game.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I think the only change I wouldn't mind seeing is Ralls out for Camarasa, everyone else has been so awesome the last two weeks. The only reason I'd take Ralls out is pure skill match up against Victor, but always loathe to change a performing team!

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Sorry Jimmy, I think you’re a decent poster but whilst the sentiment of maintaining a winning team is a noble one we do not have that luxury. You cannot down play how big this game actually is and therefore you play the best players. If Barcelona win a game without messi they do not bench him the following week. Arter and Camarasa are just as important to our relative cause. So whilst it would be nice we cannot afford to.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Liles93 wrote:I think the only change I wouldn't mind seeing is Ralls out for Camarasa, everyone else has been so awesome the last two weeks. The only reason I'd take Ralls out is pure skill match up against Victor, but always loathe to change a performing team!

I've been terribly critical of Ralls in the past because despite his work rate and commitment I'm sorry to say that he comes up a bit short in ability, BUT I must admit he's proven me wrong in the last two games and I'd love to think that he could keep that up.
You're completely right though and if I'm honest I don't think it would be long before we brought Victor on if he was on the bench. It's a very very close call and your view might very well be the correct one .

I think they're going to come at us and I'm expecting that the first goal will be decisive . The only thing I will say is that our ability to carry on playing after going a goal down is better than theirs. The biggest factor is whether the team is infected with this spreading desolation of dwelling on the tragedy.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Can’t see Camarasa starting today unless he’s 100% as he’s a vital part of our team and NW won’t risk him, I can see Arter back in with Gunnarsson making way onto the bench

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Travelling back from Bournmouth this morning back to South Wales and as I came onto m4 over severn bridge a load of City buses passing on opposite side, gutting to be working driving the wrong way! :o Miss the away days. Hope we win today and faiplay to all the City fans making the trip! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:42 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:Sorry Jimmy, I think you’re a decent poster but whilst the sentiment of maintaining a winning team is a noble one we do not have that luxury. You cannot down play how big this game actually is and therefore you play the best players. If Barcelona win a game without messi they do not bench him the following week. Arter and Camarasa are just as important to our relative cause. So whilst it would be nice we cannot afford to.

Yeah, you may be right of course. It's a judgement call and we're only trying to guess the best outcome. It's a general rule not to change a winning team, but it's been done successfully many times. Personally I'd do what I said, but it's a very close decision to be fair. The deciding factor in my mind is that if we kept some of our best players on the bench at the start, then at least we'd have a plan b if it wasn't working.
I don't think we could have a better man than Sir Neil to make close decisions like this, so let's hope he judges it right, which he usually does.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:43 pm

It's great to be back talking about football though !

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

The big match facts

Southampton have lost only one of their last 14 home matches against Cardiff in all competitions (W10 D3), although that defeat came in their last such meeting in April 2014 in the Premier League.

Cardiff have won two of their three Premier League games against Southampton (L1), only versus Fulham (3) have they won more in the competition.

Cardiff are looking to record three consecutive victories against Southampton in all competitions for the first time since March 1963.

Southampton are unbeaten in five Premier League games (W2 D3), last having a longer such run between April-August 2016 (7).

Southampton have both scored (11) and conceded (12) in each of their last seven home league games.

Following their win against Bournemouth last time out, Cardiff are looking to win consecutive top-flight matches for the first time since April 1962.

Cardiff are the lowest away scorers in the Premier League this season (7 goals), while only Fulham (2) have picked up fewer points on the road than the Bluebirds (W1 D2 L9).

Cardiff’s last five away goals in the Premier League have come in the 80th minute or later, with three of them coming in the 90th minute.

Just one of Southampton’s five Premier League wins this season have been against sides starting the day below them (3-1 vs Huddersfield). Indeed, their other four victories have been against sides starting the day in the top half of the table.

All five of Nathan Redmond’s Premier League goal involvements for Southampton this season have come under Ralph Hasenhüttl, with 3 goals and 2 assists in 10 appearances (after none in 15 games before that this term).

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

This is a real 6 pointer,a win today puts daylight between us and Fulham 8 pnts i beleave after loss to the mancs.
Come on city this is the big one. :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Re: MATCH THREAD: “ SOUTHAMPTON v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREA

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Jack Stephens strides out of defence and Cardiff are indebted to a last ditch challenge from Bruno Manga to get rid of danger.

The hosts have started well here.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Some early jibes between the fans on the St Mary’s terraces. A rendition of ‘Oh when the Saints’ is met with a ‘you’ve only got one song’ from the Cardiff faithful.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Commentators on TSN4 saying that things are not working for Niasse at Cardiff :roll: he’s started a couple of games and was instrumental in our win last week... goals will come from him

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Literally not even in this

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Ward-Prowse’s free kick is nodded clear by Gunnarsson, who is doing a good screening job at the moment.

Valery then muscles past Arter and Stephens is encouraged to shoot, before a melee in the Cardiff box sees it ricochet out for a corner.