Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

REPORT: CARDIFF CITY LIABLE FOR FULL SALA TRANSFER FEE

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Cardiff City 'liable for full £15m Emiliano Sala fee'
By Neil Wilkes, Editor-in-chief

Cardiff City are reportedly liable for the full £15m transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, who is feared to have died in a plane crash.

The Bluebirds concluded a deal for the 28-year-old with Ligue 1 side Nantes last Saturday but as he made his way to the Welsh capital just two days later, his plane disappeared from radar and has yet to be found.

Yesterday the search operation was officially abandoned by rescue workers, all but ending any slim hopes that Sala could still be found alive.

According to The Times, there was initial speculation that the transfer had technically not gone through before Sala's disappearance but the Football Association of Wales has now confirmed that the player's registration with Cardiff had already become official.

The newspaper says that the club paid Nantes £5m when the paperwork was signed on Saturday, with a commitment of two further instalments of £5m to follow in the future.

Cardiff have yet to confirm whether they have an insurance policy to cover their liability for the player.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: REPORT: CARDIFF CITY LIABLE FOR FULL SALA TRANSFER FEE

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm

Was expecting this, at least it’s not a lump sum but a more manageable payment schedule for the club, means funds are still available for transfers

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Perhaps the club's will come to some agreement as Bordeaux get a share also if this story is true.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:59 pm

I would imagine the club would take out a claim against the owners of the plane, they would have public liability insurance

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:03 pm

I don't think there will be any real surprise at this development and I feel Cardiff City FC and owner Vincent Tan will 'do the right thing' when/if it is appropriate :thumbright:

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:17 pm

You would have expected all the relevant insurance policies to be in place as soon as contracts were signed. You would'nt exchange contracts on a house purchase without having buildings cover to commence at the same time. Obviously, I have no idea how player purchases work, but considering the money involved, you would expect some sort of cover to have been taken out. I may be completely wrong, I am sure there are forum members who probably know how these things work. I suppose it's not top of anyone's list of things to worry about right now.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Jazz Cock wrote:I would imagine the club would take out a claim against the owners of the plane, they would have public liability insurance

Like they will have 15 million to hand.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:You would have expected all the relevant insurance policies to be in place as soon as contracts were signed. You would'nt exchange contracts on a house purchase without having buildings cover to commence at the same time. Obviously, I have no idea how player purchases work, but considering the money involved, you would expect some sort of cover to have been taken out. I may be completely wrong, I am sure there are forum members who probably know how these things work. I suppose it's not top of anyone's list of things to worry about right now.

I'm not sure the report means that City don't have insurance or that someone else may be liable; just that the liability for the fee lays at the Cardiff end after contracts were exchanged and registered

Agree, it shouldn't be top of anyone's priority list right now and it will all be sorted when the time is right :thumbright:

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 pm

No real idea how these things operate but I would be a bit surprised if clubs take out what is effectively a life insurance policy on players when they sign them. Also I rather suspect if they had they would have announced it by now.

There are difficulties in suing the air transport company as you would have to prove gross negligence against them and they would almost certainly not have £15 million spare anyway unless they were insured and in if they were it there would probably be exclusion clauses and limitations as to the amount paid out.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Crayfish wrote:No real idea how these things operate but I would be a bit surprised if clubs take out what is effectively a life insurance policy on players when they sign them. Also I rather suspect if they had they would have announced it by now.

There are difficulties in suing the air transport company as you would have to prove gross negligence against them and they would almost certainly not have £15 million spare anyway unless they were insured and in if they were it there would probably be exclusion clauses and limitations as to the amount paid out.

Way too early to expect certain 'announcements' (if at all) and this is one of them! ;)

The club has shown a lot of class in the last few days and (with respect to all us wanna knows) they'll tell us what they can/need at the appropriate time :thumbright:

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 pm

stevee1966 wrote:
Jazz Cock wrote:I would imagine the club would take out a claim against the owners of the plane, they would have public liability insurance

the insurance company do ,I have standard 5 million in my shop I bet a plane has a much higher amount

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:04 pm

wez1927 wrote:
stevee1966 wrote:

the insurance company do ,I have standard 5 million in my shop I bet a plane has a much higher amount

Wasn't it mentioned that the liability is 150k set out by EU? Be interesting to see how it pans as anything like this happen before?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Forget the fee for now, they have to find him. Do you agree guys ? Fee will be looked at later on.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Eventually an insurance company will have to pay out. But there will be long legal battles before one of them gets stuck with the bill, as who is responsible and who therefore has to pay up is going to be difficult to work out.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Ibby wrote:Forget the fee for now, they have to find him. Do you agree guys ? Fee will be looked at later on.

Absolutely as you can't put a price on a mans head :bluebird:

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:26 am

stevee1966 wrote:

Also the family of Emiliano might take legal action.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:55 am

Of course, do the right thing.
But then counter act against his agent who hasn’t

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:03 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ster-face/

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:08 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:You would have expected all the relevant insurance policies to be in place as soon as contracts were signed. You would'nt exchange contracts on a house purchase without having buildings cover to commence at the same time. Obviously, I have no idea how player purchases work, but considering the money involved, you would expect some sort of cover to have been taken out. I may be completely wrong, I am sure there are forum members who probably know how these things work. I suppose it's not top of anyone's list of things to worry about right now.

these articles are full of vague guesses like, it is believed, there is speculation , one source has said.
bugs me at the best of times .

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am

stevee1966 wrote:

Some insurance policies do cover upto this level, it will depend on what policy was in place. Someone is going to be liable for the financial loss and I see no reason it should be Cardiff who appear to have done nothing wrong.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:10 pm

T1JMO wrote:
stevee1966 wrote:

Some insurance policies do cover upto this level, it will depend on what policy was in place. Someone is going to be liable for the financial loss and I see no reason it should be Cardiff who appear to have done nothing wrong.

But pursuing someone on foreign territory is a minefield... Plus the insurance company or who ever could go bust :shock: