EU - Deal or No Deal?

Deal
13%
No Deal
88%

Total votes : 48

EU - Deal or No Deal?

Postby T1JMO » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm

We already know we will leave the EU on 29th March 2019.

Of the 2 options on the table where do you stand?
T1JMO

EU - Deal or No Deal?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: EU - Deal or No Deal?

Postby welshrarebit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 pm

I voted no deal because I don't like the potential consequence of the back stop for Mays deal. That being said the eu27 aren't too keen on it either. I'm ambivalent about a deal or not but prefer no deal to what was on offer.

What I want is to be able to do our own trade deals should we wise. Be free to vary our corporate tax rates if we wish. Repatriate as many decisions given over as possible. I don't believe we need a political union to trade. Cooperate and be friends with our neighbours. I would probably be ok with a Norway option. I'm ok with free movement provided we can decline violent criminals and the like.

Let's juts get on with it. I do not believe the world will end. We should see everything as an opportunity. If it's no deal then fine. Deal with it and build up. If it's a deal then great. But it needs to be one we can exit without the approval of 27 other countries. I'm hopeful that our politicians can get their head out if their asses and engage with the whole world. Stranger things have happened.
welshrarebit

Postby Sven » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

There's already a vote similar to this! :roll:

shall we go for best of three?! :roll:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby T1JMO » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Sven wrote:There's already a vote similar to this! :roll:

"Do you trust the government?" is the same thing?
T1JMO

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm

T1JMO wrote:
Sven wrote:There's already a vote similar to this! :roll:

"Do you trust the government?" is the same thing?

Do you trust any politician more to the point :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby WelshBluebird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

welshrarebit wrote:I voted no deal because I don't like the potential consequence of the back stop for Mays deal.

Like?
What would you suggest instead?

welshrarebit wrote:What I want is to be able to do our own trade deals should we wise. Be free to vary our corporate tax rates if we wish. Repatriate as many decisions given over as possible. I don't believe we need a political union to trade. Cooperate and be friends with our neighbours. I would probably be ok with a Norway option. I'm ok with free movement provided we can decline violent criminals and the like.

All of that is allowed by May's deal though.

welshrarebit wrote:Let's juts get on with it. I do not believe the world will end. We should see everything as an opportunity. If it's no deal then fine. Deal with it and build up. If it's a deal then great. But it needs to be one we can exit without the approval of 27 other countries. I'm hopeful that our politicians can get their head out if their asses and engage with the whole world. Stranger things have happened.

Of course the world will not end. But there are quite a lot of issues that need to be sorted before Brexit. How do you suggest we do that if we just say "sod it we are walking away"? If we really are going for "no deal" then preparations should have begun as soon as article 50 was started (ideally even before that).
WelshBluebird

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm

I heard an MP say that out of the 650 MP's about 85% are dead against leaving the EU with no deal including about 50% of the cabinate.Make of that what you will.
Sneggyblubird

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I heard an MP say that out of the 650 MP's about 85% are dead against leaving the EU with no deal including about 50% of the cabinate.Make of that what you will.

I think that's fairly straight forward arithmetic from Tuesday. Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal. It doesn't take into account tories in 202 who would support a no deal but with May's deal for the sake of unity. I suspect the DUP would happily go no deal. So no where near a majority but a good bit more than 15%.

Yvette Cooper keeps banging on about the 230 defeat like they won by 230. 180 of that majotriy is the result of those who rejected the deal based on wanting to leave without a deal.
epping blue

Postby WelshBluebird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I heard an MP say that out of the 650 MP's about 85% are dead against leaving the EU with no deal including about 50% of the cabinate.Make of that what you will.

That maybe leaving without a deal isn't a good idea.

epping blue wrote:I think that's fairly straight forward arithmetic from Tuesday. Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal. It doesn't take into account tories in 202 who would support a no deal but with May's deal for the sake of unity. I suspect the DUP would happily go no deal. So no where near a majority but a good bit more than 15%.

Yvette Cooper keeps banging on about the 230 defeat like they won by 230. 180 of that majotriy is the result of those who rejected the deal based on wanting to leave without a deal.

118 Tories voted against May's deal.
But a large number of that would be made up of Tories who don't want to leave at all or Tories who want to leave with a different deal other than May's. And then you also have the Tories who want to leave with no deal.
To suggest that they all want a no deal is just a lie.
Last edited by WelshBluebird on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshBluebird

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm

I was wondering what's the likelihood that if this gets very crucial in terms of numbers / votes we see a appearance from Sinn Fein.
epping blue

Postby dogfound » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:

That maybe leaving without a deal isn't a good idea.

epping blue wrote:I think that's fairly straight forward arithmetic from Tuesday. Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal. It doesn't take into account tories in 202 who would support a no deal but with May's deal for the sake of unity. I suspect the DUP would happily go no deal. So no where near a majority but a good bit more than 15%.

118 Tories voted against May's deal.
But a large number of that would be made up of Tories who don't want to leave at all or Tories who want to leave with a different deal other than May's. And then you also have the Tories who want to leave with no deal.
To suggest that they all want a no deal is just a lie.

he did not say that they all wanted a no deal..
to suggest he did is just a LIE...DAVE THE LIAR BY ANY CHANCE.?
dogfound

Postby WelshBluebird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 pm

dogfound wrote:he did not say that they all wanted a no deal..

He said, using a direct quote, "Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal".
There is no way 90 Tories want a no deal.
WelshBluebird

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:56 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:he did not say that they all wanted a no deal..

He said, using a direct quote, "Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal".
There is no way 90 Tories want a no deal.

These figures will come out in due course no doubt, in fact I'm surprised its not already been speculated in position to much better know than myself. I just went through the list and around 25 of them expressed a preference to remain at the point of the referendum. There are of course some new tory MP's and some may have changed their stance. but I doubt there's many looking for a leave deal who wouldn't have gone with May. How many of the 202 would support a no deal, possibly very few, maybe a hundred but its all speculation.
epping blue

Postby smakerzthebluebird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Why do we want a deal

Ball should be in our court not there’s imo may has gone about it all wrong begging for scraps when in fact it should be the other way round

They should be begging us for non taxed trade immigration to remain etc
Founder of the forum whopper thread! Don't talk bollocks or you'll be added to the thread!!
smakerzthebluebird

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 pm

epping blue wrote:

I think that's fairly straight forward arithmetic from Tuesday. Around 90 conservatives rebelled wanting no deal in preference.to May's deal. It doesn't take into account tories in 202 who would support a no deal but with May's deal for the sake of unity. I suspect the DUP would happily go no deal. So no where near a majority but a good bit more than 15%.

May's deal and no deal are 2 different things.Like I said according to this MP(forgot who it was)it was 85% are against a no-deal exit.Even more straight forward.
Sneggyblubird

Postby welshrarebit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:I voted no deal because I don't like the potential consequence of the back stop for Mays deal.

Like?
What would you suggest instead?

welshrarebit wrote:What I want is to be able to do our own trade deals should we wise. Be free to vary our corporate tax rates if we wish. Repatriate as many decisions given over as possible. I don't believe we need a political union to trade. Cooperate and be friends with our neighbours. I would probably be ok with a Norway option. I'm ok with free movement provided we can decline violent criminals and the like.

All of that is allowed by May's deal though.

welshrarebit wrote:Let's juts get on with it. I do not believe the world will end. We should see everything as an opportunity. If it's no deal then fine. Deal with it and build up. If it's a deal then great. But it needs to be one we can exit without the approval of 27 other countries. I'm hopeful that our politicians can get their head out if their asses and engage with the whole world. Stranger things have happened.

Of course the world will not end. But there are quite a lot of issues that need to be sorted before Brexit. How do you suggest we do that if we just say "sod it we are walking away"? If we really are going for "no deal" then preparations should have begun as soon as article 50 was started (ideally even before that).

Sorry only just seen this.

I think I would be ok with a norway style option at this stage. It is clear that we have a parliament of MOs that on the whole dont want to leave so will drag their heels as much as possible. As I understand it we can do most of what I would like to see. Trade deals will be allowed and there would be a break on immigration so we could I imagine prevent people deemed a danger. Norway do admittedly have to agree t a certain amount of EU rules but I think it is a small %age.

I absolutely agree they should have planned for no deal from the off. In fact they should have gone in to negotiations with no deal as the starting point and build up. The problem May has has is whichever way she turned she had various MPs trying to eliminate any position of strength she has. I am not one of the people that thinks the EU woudl be begging us for a deal. I am not that arrogant. But I think it is a disgrace how many, especially those in her party, have undermined her hand at every possible turn. It would be nice if everyone could just get along really!
welshrarebit

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
epping blue wrote:

May's deal and no deal are 2 different things.Like I said according to this MP(forgot who it was)it was 85% are against a no-deal exit.Even more straight forward.

Right at this moment no deal give us certaintanty of our position 2 months from now. Everything else and we continue in this limbo till whenever.
epping blue

Postby stevee1966 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 am

I'd go no deal but the remainers in parliament will vote that down.

The EU deal that Theresa May hass put forward has been voted down already.

The new idea of parties talking to each other to come up with a compromise will just soften Brexit even more so will be voted down by the leavers.

It will never end because no one gets exactly what they want. And even if our parliarment do agree on terms, the EU will probably not.

I wish we could just get out with no deal, so we can make our own decisions, and stop the EU holding us to ransom.
stevee1966

Postby Sneggyblubird » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 am

stevee1966 wrote:I'd go no deal but the remainers in parliament will vote that down.

The EU deal that Theresa May hass put forward has been voted down already.

The new idea of parties talking to each other to come up with a compromise will just soften Brexit even more so will be voted down by the leavers.

It will never end because no one gets exactly what they want. And even if our parliarment do agree on terms, the EU will probably not.

I wish we could just get out with no deal, so we can make our own decisions, and stop the EU holding us to ransom.

A no-deal would put an instant hard boarder between NI and Eire would it not?This is now the real problem the politicians have to deal with.The bottom line is a boarder contravenes the Good Friday agreement which is enshrined in law and no one would go against that surely as it would almost certainly cost lives.
Sneggyblubird

Postby stevee1966 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 am

So we're held to ransom by terrorists. Eire is a different country to the UK. Why shouldn't there be a border.

Why does a border give people the green light to restart the problems of the past. It's just an excuse to brain dead people who want violence as an answer.
stevee1966

Postby Sneggyblubird » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:23 am

stevee1966 wrote:So we're held to ransom by terrorists. Eire is a different country to the UK. Why shouldn't there be a border.

Why does a border give people the green light to restart the problems of the past. It's just an excuse to brain dead people who want violence as an answer.

I guess we may well be but thats politics for you.For every man that holds your point of view there is always someone with a complete opposite yet valid viewpoint.Historically theres only been two ways to sort this out the first being a compromise the second being war/terrorism/social disorder but it is also noted the ones that choose the second path end up coming back to the first.This is why all but a few bellend politicians won't put their name to a no deal brexit.
Sneggyblubird

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Just seen that 30 odd high profile Germans politicians/industrialist saying want us to stay in EU Getting worried about a no deal maybe? They dont want to have to make up shortfall in EU funds UK leaving will cause! :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:35 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Just seen that 30 odd high profile Germans politicians/industrialist saying want us to stay in EU Getting worried about a no deal maybe? They dont want to have to make up shortfall in EU funds UK leaving will cause! :old:

Like I said earlier Alan, this notion some people have that it is only us who stand to lose is nonsense. It is in everyone's interest for an amicable seperation. Many EU companies are reliant on us for their exports. Works both ways, it is not only the UK who will lose out if agreements cannot be made.
I see the impartial BBC could not resist saying Brexit may be partly responsibe as to why there is currently a shortage of medicine and tablets in England. The National Pharmaceutical Association have said that Brexit has nothing to do with this, and that this has been a common theme for at least ten years. Does'nt stop the Beeb from planting ideas in the minds of it's viewers though, even if they are supposed to be reporting the news in an impartial manner. How they can suggest it is a bit odd considering we are still in the EU at this time. Nothing like a bit of scaremongering I suppose.
Steve Zodiak

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Just seen that 30 odd high profile Germans politicians/industrialist saying want us to stay in EU Getting worried about a no deal maybe? They dont want to have to make up shortfall in EU funds UK leaving will cause! :old:

Like I said earlier Alan, this notion some people have that it is only us who stand to lose is nonsense. It is in everyone's interest for an amicable seperation. Many EU companies are reliant on us for their exports. Works both ways, it is not only the UK who will lose out if agreements cannot be made.
I see the impartial BBC could not resist saying Brexit may be partly responsibe as to why there is currently a shortage of medicine and tablets in England. The National Pharmaceutical Association have said that Brexit has nothing to do with this, and that this has been a common theme for at least ten years. Does'nt stop the Beeb from planting ideas in the minds of it's viewers though, even if they are supposed to be reporting the news in an impartial manner. How they can suggest it is a bit odd considering we are still in the EU at this time. Nothing like a bit of scaremongering I suppose.

Steve spending 25yrs in nhs tells me that shortage is caused by companies using brexit to maximise profits as only drugs in short supply are generic ones which means nhs got to buy the expensive meds nothing new really.. but there is a lot of scaremongering like before referendum ! The mps and alike who are gagging for new vote are doing what irish and other countries did when they initially voted no in referendum want to force another vote and if nessesary another after that until get right result for them. Hope may stands firm and we leave one way or other
pembroke allan

Postby frazier » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 pm

frazier

Postby howbluewasmyvalley » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Allan / Steve agree completely. Profiteering.
Re the 30 Germans, their letter was infantile.
It even refers to not wanting the UK to leave Europe.
What do they think we’re doing, moving our islands to somewhere else on the globe?
We’re leaving the EU and still in Europe, dummkopfs, just like Switzerland and Norway.
Good grief.

Block 111
howbluewasmyvalley

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm

howbluewasmyvalley wrote:Allan / Steve agree completely. Profiteering.
Re the 30 Germans, their letter was infantile.
It even refers to not wanting the UK to leave Europe.
What do they think we’re doing, moving our islands to somewhere else on the globe?
We’re leaving the EU and still in Europe, dummkopfs, just like Switzerland and Norway.
Good grief.

Block 111

We just won't be held to ransom by their rules and laws hopefully? Their scared others will jump ship that's why they are reluctant to give us a good deal. :old:
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat