The Welsh rugby club being kept afloat by Cardiff City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Canton RFC are thriving thanks to Cardiff City

Wednesday 16th January 2019

Cardiff City supporters are not the only ones praying to see the Bluebirds escape Premier League relegation this season.

Because Neil Warnock's side locking horns with Liverpool, Man United, Spurs, Man City and Arsenal in the capital is helping prevent a Welsh rugby club from going under.

The Bluebirds’ success in securing Championship promotion and now Premier League football has provided Canton RFC, one of the oldest rugby clubs in Cardiff, with an unexpected cash boost in recent years given their clubhouse is just a stone’s throw away from Cardiff City Stadium.

And they're certainly making the most from their windfall as Canton proudly sit top of National League Division Three East Central B with 12 wins from 12 after their 27-20 victory at Llantwit Major on Saturday.

Off the pitch, with costs to play at the 4G pitch at Leckwith running at around £1,000 per month, the money the club takes over the bar at Cardiff City and Wales football matches has been vital in helping the club to make ends meet.

Canton treasurer Tim Rhoden, said: “Without Premier League football we would be long, long gone.

“We had to try to schedule our fixtures on days when Cardiff City aren’t at home so we don’t get too much congestion.

“We get fans from home and away teams coming to the club before and after matches and they really seem to enjoy the friendly atmosphere.

"Sometimes we can’t get enough bar staff to cater for the demand.

“The Welsh internationals at Cardiff City Stadium have been another big earner for us and we owe football a huge debt of gratitude.”

The club also have some stellar names from Pontypridd RFC looking after things on the pith with ex-wing Dai Manley coach and former Wales lock Greg Prosser helping him out.

“When I first came in as coach last season, we only had about 18 players and we only won once in our first eight games,” said Manley, with Canton a massive 18 points clear at the top of the table.

“Since then, more players have joined and the commitment from everyone at the club has been incredible.

“I’d had a few years out of coaching because my kids were growing up, but I was keen to get back into it. When the chance came at Canton I thought I’d give it a go.

“I brought in Greg to give the forwards some help and he has been a huge boost with his technical knowledge.

"Our second rows have been magnificent, our set-piece has performed really well and he has made a major impact.

“We went on a pre-season tour to Cornwall and took 29 players with us. Ever since then the players have really stepped up and committed themselves wholeheartedly to training and playing and we’ve been able to stay unbeaten so far.

“We’ve got a massive game coming up this weekend against Treherbert, who are third in the table, and if we can win that one it will be a huge boost.

"At the start of the season the main aims were to get the 2nd XV up and running again and just to be as competitive as possible in the league.

“Now we have to start thinking seriously about promotion and winning the title, although I’m more than aware that anyone can beat anyone in this league and the wheels can fall off the wagon very quickly.”

Manley only has to glance across the road to see what a relegation dogfight looks like, though he like many others will be praying for Cardiff City to beat the drop.
Attachments
0_Canton-RFC-Cardiff-Ivor-Rodway-is-the-vice-chair-at-the-rugby-club-He-has-been-nominated-for-the.jpg
0_Canton-RFC-Cardiff-Ivor-Rodway-is-the-vice-chair-at-the-rugby-club-He-has-been-nominated-for-the.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The Welsh rugby club being kept afloat by Cardiff City

Postby ThomasC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm

I enjoy Canton RFC before games; also my uncle and dad played there so nice to see they're pics on the walls :ayatollah:
ThomasC

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Good to see the local economy benefiting from city in the Prem.
Sneggyblubird

Postby theclaw » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Ideal place for a few pints before the game :thumbup:
theclaw

Postby Charlie Harper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Its where a few of us drink before the game and of course after brekky at spoons. Friendly club which does food and also has a giant screen showing sky games.
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Being a season ticket holder I park here every home game as journey back to Pembroke quick getaway after game important only £6 glad it helps canton club out :occasion5:
Pembroke bluebird

Return to General Chat