“ RESULT OF VOTE ON THERESA MAY’S BREXIT DEAL “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: BREXIT VOTE IN

Postby epping blue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 pm

There isn't any deal that would get agreement in this parliament. Despite the platitudes about honouring the vote from the labour hierarchy they'll throw it out at the first opportunity, its plain and simple frustration. That despite 160 plus of them representing constituencies that vote to leave some very heavily indeed.
epping blue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Not a shock. But definitely worse than she thought it would be.

Can’t see the No Confidence Motion getting through parliament tomorrow. She’ll have enough of her own MPs and the DUP to survive that.

Back at square one - but no deal has to be avoided.

I voted remain but I believe in democracy. Unfortunately, another referendum seems the most likely outcome now. If she goes to renegotiate her deal, the EU will offer her nothing more so it would be a pointless exercise.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Sven wrote:AYES 202

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

The Government's Brexit Bill is defeated and Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a 'Vote of No Confidence' in the Government

If the vote goes against the Government, Theresa May HAS to resign

A historic (if not surprising) and decisive night in British politics!

No, she doesn't have to resign, but she does have to call a General Election.
Doesn't matter though, because she's not going to lose a Confidence Vote in the Government in order for which to happen the government would have to vote against themselves.

It's historic alright, but only in terms of theatre rather than outcome, and it's certainly not decisive - just the latest little drama to create the illusion of accountability. In the end they'll do what they want to do and,since that's inconsistent with the vote, they will first appear to have no alternative except what they always intended to do.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:44 pm

thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:The 202 MPs should be sacked, they have a duty to deliver the will of the people

The country voted to leave. The deal did not allow that so this was the best outcome for the Leave camp

Backing that deal was keeping us in the EU through the back door

No deal is the only way now

not as simple as that, many of the 432 are remainers who do not want us to leave and many of the 202 voted for the deal because in their opinions it was the only way to get any sort of Brexit..

The only deal is no deal. The EU has made it that way by trying bullying tactics. We now need to call there bluff.

The only thing the MPs need to do is allow us to leave the EU with all our law making, Finances and border controls under our own control.

If the EU will not allow it we leave and go our seperate ways.

People underestimate how strong this country is

Finally somebody talking sense. That was exactly what 17 million people voted for
CF23 Bluebird

Postby thomasblue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Not a shock. But definitely worse than she thought it would be.

Can’t see the No Confidence Motion getting through parliament tomorrow. She’ll have enough of her own MPs and the DUP to survive that.

I voted remain but I believe in democracy. Unfortunately, another referendum seems the most likely outcome now. If she goes to renegotiate her deal, the EU will offer her nothing more so it would be a pointless exercise.

Why does no deal have to be avoided?

There is as good a chance that No deal is as good as a deal. Nobody knows what the right way to go is we just need to choose a path and take it.

The EU will soon come running after we leave with a decent trade deal and solution to Ireland. They need a deal as much as we do.
They are just playing there cards and unfortunatly they are better players than our lot
thomasblue

Postby dogfound » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

The Government's Brexit Bill is defeated and Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a 'Vote of No Confidence' in the Government

Doesn't matter though, because she's not going to lose a Confidence Vote in the Government in order for which to happen the government would have to vote against themselves.

It's historic alright, but only in terms of theatre rather than outcome, and it's certainly not decisive - just the latest little drama to create the illusion of accountability. In the end they'll do what they want to do and,since that's inconsistent with the vote, they will first appear to have no alternative except what they always intended to do.

well that's the cynical take on it..
but as time goes on it does look more and more likely that its exactly what some MPs are doing.
I think they are playing with fire and really do not get it.
dogfound

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm

thomasblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Not a shock. But definitely worse than she thought it would be.

There is as good a chance that No deal is as good as a deal. Nobody knows what the right way to go is we just need to choose a path and take it.

The EU will soon come running after we leave with a decent trade deal and solution to Ireland. They need a deal as much as we do.
They are just playing there cards and unfortunatly they are better players than our lot

That’s just my opinion. Should have made that clear.

I just think that no deal would be catastrophic.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby thomasblue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

I wouldnt say catastrophic but i agree it could be bad.

The problem is nobody knows, it could end up being great for this country.

I was undecided at first but the longer this has gone on the more i lean towards leave. The conduct of the EU officials has been disgusting at times.

I believe this country has everything it needs to be succesful in the world without being tied to anybody else.
thomasblue

Re: “ RESULT OF VOTE ON THERESA MAY’S BREXIT DEAL “

Postby Bananas » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm

May this, Corbin that, PATHETIC. Bloody foreigners.

#wexit

#welshandeuropean
Bananas

Postby Bananas » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm

thomasblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

I wouldnt say catastrophic but i agree it could be bad.

The problem is nobody knows, it could end up being great for this country.

I was undecided at first but the longer this has gone on the more i lean towards leave. The conduct of the EU officials has been disgusting at times.

I believe this country has everything it needs to be succesful in the world without being tied to anybody else.

But this country Wales is tied to England?????? :?
Bananas

Postby dogfound » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

and you were doing so well until the last line..
yes they need deals as much as we do,so therefore you leave first negotiate later
dogfound

Postby Lengee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:01 pm

The Vote of No confidence will fail. The conservative party will not do anything that is not in the parties interests. Sadly the whole referendum debacle was caused by divisions in their party. It was not due to some huge demand within the electorate of the UK.
Hence the shambolic government will limp on. The only alternative would be a party led by Corbyn which is not palatable to the majority in Britain.

May now offers to speak to other parties a mere 2 years too late. She had no plan B. Only the foolhardy would want a no deal that jeopardizes people's jobs and future.
Nothing further to say...that's my view. Goodnight :thumbup: :wave:
Lengee

Postby Sven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
Sven wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:Worse than what they thought .

Tony, indeed it is and I think it will surprise many insiders, too (MP's, Press, etc.) :shock:

I'm surprised she hasn't gone already but I guess the night is young ;)

The night is still young Chris - But i think she will stay. The lady just won't give in .

Tony, a good friend of mine is with the Chaplaincy and one of his own friends/colleagues is Theresa May's vicar and close friend. When I suggested she should go with a heavy defeat, he said they'd had that conversation and her priest called her "an incredibly honourable lady, whose sense of duty would make her want to see it through" and he believed she would fight all the way

I do actually have some sympathy for her. Cameron dropped her in it, Boris and the sychophantic Gove plus her own stubbornness perpetuated the situation. But a loss in the 'no confidence' vote tomorrow would mean she has to go under the format/rules of that vote

Early suggestions are that the DUP will NOT vote against the Government, so the possibility of her winning that and remaining (excuse the pun) will be higher. Like you, I don't think she will take the decision herself, having stated previously she wants to "see it through before standing down at the next election"

the problem is though what she sees as being honourable and her duty are based on not wanting to leave the EU to start with.
and there lies the problem. the day after the vote people who had fought for the leave campaign should have been the ones following it through.

Agree with that .

Me, too...I was just stating what my friend said to me :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby epping blue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Lengee wrote:The Vote of No confidence will fail. The conservative party will not do anything that is not in the parties interests. Sadly the whole referendum debacle was caused by divisions in their party. It was not due to some huge demand within the electorate of the UK.
Hence the shambolic government will limp on. The only alternative would be a party led by Corbyn which is not palatable to the majority in Britain.

May now offers to speak to other parties a mere 2 years too late. She had no plan B. Only the foolhardy would want a no deal that jeopardizes people's jobs and future.
Nothing further to say...that's my view. Goodnight :thumbup: :wave:

Of course the referendum was at the request of the electorate. I know you may want to conveniently forget but more people voted for UKIP I the 2014 Euro elections than voted for any other party. For a one issue party that was pretty defining.
epping blue

Postby dogfound » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 pm

had we had a no deal Brexit 2 years ago..

the EU would be offering us exactly what they have offered us right now, no less and probably more.

leaving with no deal being catastrophic as opposed to having a deal that suits the EU for this reason is a myth
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 pm

I do feel a tad sorry for Teresa, doing something she didn't vote for but stuck to it. Always voted Labour before last election but imagion voting for Corbyn :lol: with Abbot beside him. He couldn't even get proper coat for rememberence sunday.
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I do feel a tad sorry for Teresa, doing something she didn't vote for but stuck to it. Always voted Labour before last election but imagion voting for Corbyn :lol: with Abbot beside him. He couldn't even get proper coat for rememberence sunday.

Those two will NEVER get my vote, Luke and it will cost my standing MP for the same reason, too! :(

Voting for the Labour candidate will (sadly, as he's a decent guy) lead to those two running this country! :shock: :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Corbyn as PM and that Abbott being anywhere near the cabinet - now that would be catastrophic.

Take the no deal and run. Europe is in for a rough time anyway.
Carpe Diem

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

A couple of things -

The pound has risen after this result
Even if there is a general election Corbyn will lose it. Labour and he are 6 points behind in the polls - even after all this !!
He will lose his vote of no confidence in the Govt
There is a fixed term parliament act - and can only be over ruled by a two thirds majority vote in the commons - that will never happen.

The upshot of this - there wont be a general election, May will remain PM. The EU may or may not agree on a change in the agreement - otherwise either Article 50 will be extended or it's a no deal brexit.

The EU in no way shape or form want that - they need 39 billion from us, they have a trade surplus with us, the Irish are well and truely fecked if we reciprocate with trade tarifs and put barriers up to delay their exports to the rest of the EU
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby Sven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

Yes, apologies but that is what I meant :thumbright: .

She has to resign her Government at the behest of the Queen and another election be called (with her very likely to be Party leader)

Don't think it will happen though and feel she will fight on until the business of Brexit (or not) is sorted :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Sloper Road » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:A couple of things -

Even if there is a general election Corbyn will lose it. Labour and he are 6 points behind in the polls - even after all this !!
There is a fixed term parliament act - and can only be over ruled by a two thirds majority vote in the commons - that will never happen.

The upshot of this - there wont be a general election, May will remain PM. The EU may or may not agree on a change in the agreement - otherwise either Article 50 will be extended or it's a no deal brexit.

The EU in no way shape or form want that - they need 39 billion from us, they have a trade surplus with us, the Irish are well and truely fecked if we reciprocate with trade tarifs and put barriers up to delay their exports to the rest of the EU
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

She has to resign her Government at the behest of the Queen and another election be called (with her very likely to be Party leader

Don't think it will happen though and feel she will fight on until the business of Brexit (or not) is sorted :ayatollah:[/quoIf we have a no deal .The uk would not put tariff's on EU goods or force a hard boarder in North an island, not unless the EU did which they have no reason too.So in my view a no deal brexit would not bring us to our knees.
Sloper Road

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:15 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:A couple of things -

The EU has got a lot to lose if things don't go right for them! And we won't be paralysed if no deal comes into play as scare mongers say what happened when the French workers blocked the ports did everything stop no it be same no deal EU need the trade as much as we do or couple of countries will go bust even more than they are now..
pembroke allan

Postby captbirdseye » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 pm

I sometimes wonder whether people take the time to actually read the implications of a 'No Deal' or just rely on funny Facebook memes for their information.

But hey, it's always the evil EU and their dirty tactics instead of our own political elite making billions of hedge funds and forex ie Farage and Odey.
captbirdseye

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm

Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

She has to resign her Government at the behest of the Queen and another election be called (with her very likely to be Party leader

Don't think it will happen though and feel she will fight on until the business of Brexit (or not) is sorted :ayatollah:

Don't apologise , I had to look it up and I really should know. In addition to the fact that she needn't personally resign even if she's forced to call an election , ( which is effectively the result of going to the Queen), no one including the 1922 committee can make her leave because she's in the safe period after a leadership challenge .
Of course she CAN resign , but only voluntarily and she's got the neck to hold on however embarrassing that would be to a decent person . Having said this ,if her whole cabinet resigned that'd do the trick because she couldn't form a government.

As far as the matter raised in another post about her being a very honest and honourable person , well I'd beg to differ on that one actually , but she's certainly quite good at giving that impression, so I can understand how she convinced the chaplain.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 pm

captbirdseye wrote:I sometimes wonder whether people take the time to actually read the implications of a 'No Deal' or just rely on funny Facebook memes for their information.

But hey, it's always the evil EU and their dirty tactics instead of our own political elite making billions of hedge funds and forex ie Farage and Odey.

Seriously - do you really think that the EU and our own political elite are different things ?
They're not you know. They like each other a lot more than they like us and they work for the same people as each other.

Nigel isn't included in that, by the way, whether you believe that or not.

One other thing, don't "read" the implications of No Deal because that's just someone else's opinion, ( honest or otherwise ).
If you think there are any particular implications , work them out for yourself rather than listening to someone's ridiculous scare stories.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

NOES 432

A defeat by 230 votes

well that's the cynical take on it..
but as time goes on it does look more and more likely that its exactly what some MPs are doing.
I think they are playing with fire and really do not get it.

Yes it's cynical but it's certainly correct. You're quite right in my opinion that they don't understand the potential consequences of subverting a democratic vote.
It's very similar to 1921 or whenever it was when ,following the vote for partition , established Irish politicians signed an "agreement" with Britain watering down independence. Of course that led to the Irish Civil War and our politicians should note that there are historically only two ways of deciding government and policy. One is a vote and the other does not bear thinking about .
Incidentally , I'm not recommending such things, merely noting the terrible dangers which historically lie in subverting democracy , whether by direct force or subterfuge .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 am

bluebird7291 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:Fantastic news

Who for? The mps who want to destroy the democratic will of the people? :shock:

We vote a government in to do the best for the country. And the biggest impact on our country for decades have been put in the hands of plumbers, postmen etc.
When the average Joe doesn't really have any idea of the potential impact on their lives.

If you was a plumber you wouldn't ask the house holder what tool to use on a job just to see if they can guess right.

But it was the plumber who voted the MPs in in the first place so you say they are up to voting them in but are not intelligent enough to make any other decisions.? :banghead:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 am

MEPs are rubbing hands in delight as they are queing up for us to stay connected to EU, and labour used it as an excuse to get a general election so corbyn tries to become pm. This vote was about self interest more than what was right for UK.
pembroke allan

Postby castleblue » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 am

I can only see one way out of this crisis, and that's exactly what this is, and that's to take this decision away from Westminster and move immediately to a 2nd referendum and that referendum have just two options, Remain on our current terms or Leave on the terms negotiated.

I voted leave in the referendum and despite there being an overwhelming majority in favour of leave in my constituency last night our MP, Wayne David, voted against the deal negotiated by Theresa May, Why? I feel totally let down by my MP and I will be sending him an email today telling him just that and making him one promise, he will never get my vote again.

I actually feel a little sympathy for Theresa May as just over a month ago 117 of her own MP's voted against her in the Tory party confidence vote in her leadership, last night 116 of her MP's voted against her agreement which has turned a drama into a full blown crisis. However this morning the posh boy Rees-Mogg is on Sky saying HIS group will support TM in the confidence vote this evening. These are the type of games being played by the very people we elect to run our country on our behalf.

I believe it's time for the ordinary people of this country to settle this issue once and for all and that's through a 2nd referendum, last time I voted leave and will do so again but whatever the outcome the result MUST be respected by all sides.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am

castleblue wrote:I can only see one way out of this crisis, and that's exactly what this is, and that's to take this decision away from Westminster and move immediately to a 2nd referendum and that referendum have just two options, Remain on our current terms or Leave on the terms negotiated.

I voted leave in the referendum and despite there being an overwhelming majority in favour of leave in my constituency last night our MP, Wayne David, voted against the deal negotiated by Theresa May, Why? I feel totally let down by my MP and I will be sending him an email today telling him just that and making him one promise, he will never get my vote again.

I actually feel a little sympathy for Theresa May as just over a month ago 117 of her own MP's voted against her in the Tory party confidence vote in her leadership, last night 116 of her MP's voted against her agreement which has turned a drama into a full blown crisis. However this morning the posh boy Rees-Mogg is on Sky saying HIS group will support TM in the confidence vote this evening. These are the type of games being played by the very people we elect to run our country on our behalf.

I believe it's time for the ordinary people of this country to settle this issue once and for all and that's through a 2nd referendum, last time I voted leave and will do so again but whatever the outcome the result MUST be respected by all sides.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Trouble is this is why lot of mps voted against may just so can have another referendum! And tbh think people will vote remain because of the fiascos with these negotiations. And for me if we vote remain that will be disastrous as we will be at mercy of the EU and their control which will only get tighter with federal Europe state no doubt end product.
pembroke allan

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat