Neil Warnock speaks on link with Liverpool's Nathaniel Clyne

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am

Neil Warnock speaks on link with Liverpool's Nathaniel Clyne but delivers transfer reality check

Friday 14th December 2018

He also said Cardiff need a director of football as the January transfer search hots up

He also said Cardiff need a director of football as the January transfer search hots up

Neil Warnock admitted he was keen on Liverpool's Nathaniel Clyne, but played down the chances of Cardiff City doing too much business in the January transfer window.

Cardiff are indeed interested in signing out-of-favour right-back Clyne on loan until the end of the season, but Warnock revealed he's only confident in signing one player next month.

Injuries to a number of Liverpool defenders have complicated the quest to sign the England international, while Warnock was also pressed further on his interest in Nantes forward Emiliano Sala and other targets.

He provided a comprehensive transfer update ahead of Cardiff's trip to Watford this weekend.

Neil Warnock:

"We’ve spoke about a number of players and even the player we’re talking about signing - as I said to Kevin Blackwell and Ken Choo this week - it doesn’t mean they’re going to be better than what we’ve got," said Warnock.

"No matter what you pay for a player, it doesn’t guarantee they’re going to hit it off in the Premier League.

"None (of the deals) have moved on, we're looking at targets all over the show and we've crossed a few off this week - and probably added one or two as well.

"It's nothing to do with price, we just didn't feel they were right for the club.

"We've got to keep things on a level platform and look to improve the squad if we can."

Warnock admitted finding the right players is proving tougher than he's ever known, adding: "January is such a difficult window and you can sometimes pay over the top.

"It’s as difficult as I’ve ever seen it."

And asked whether there was interest in Clyne, he added: "Yes.

"I know Nathaniel. I gave him his debut, a lovely lad and I know his mother well she is a wonderful woman."

The 70-year-old added the caveat of Liverpool's current injury list, which includes defensive options Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip.

"The thing about that is they've had a lot of injuries, they are in European competition, the league and they’ve got to look after themselves. So at the moment it's very difficult to get anybody to commit to letting us have one for definite - 100 per cent.

"We are finding that with everybody.

"He’d be one on our list definitely yes, we’re looking for that position but at the moment they have other problems.

"I don’t think they would bother about us at the moment, they have to look after themselves."

Pressed further on transfers, Warnock admitted Cardiff lag behind their Premier League rivals not just in spending power, but in terms of their staff.

He would love the Bluebirds to one day appoint a director of football to help out in an area currently managed by chief executive Choo, chairman Mehmet Dalman and Warnock himself.

"Mehmet and Ken are really working hard making numerous calls," he said.

"We haven’t got a director of football as such so we're doing it between ourselves.

Vincent Tan, Mehmet Dalman, Neil Warnock and Ken Choo

"Most Premier League clubs have probably got five or six more staff than we’ve got in that area.

"All clubs at this level now have to have a structure in place.

"We’ve ran before we can walk so it’s our own fault really.

"But it's the same everywhere, we’re short on every aspect: our medical staff, our PR staff.

"But we're trying to get up, that's why staying in the league would help because you've got another 12 months where you can try and become a better club all round. It's important.

"The club in the next 10 years, you'll see a massive difference.

"A manager cannot do everything, there's just not enough hours in the day. We all need help and that will come in the next few years."
Attachments
24F87003-3C22-4D80-91AC-06AE75F1CBC2.jpeg
24F87003-3C22-4D80-91AC-06AE75F1CBC2.jpeg (127.22 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Neil Warnock speaks on link with Liverpool's Nathaniel C

Postby montyblue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Klopp putting a stop to any move by the look of it playing clyne now they have a few injuries granted, but its almost like a hands off pity . move on don't want to start another grujic scenario with liverpool again.
montyblue

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Director of football would be a great move for NW when he decides he would like a move upstairs
CF23 Bluebird

Postby Bluesman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:08 am

Who is the one player Warnock is confident of signing?
Bluesman

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am

Bluesman wrote:Who is the one player Warnock is confident of signing?

Where does he say that
SirJimmySchoular

Postby john52 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am

JUst get a felling that regardless to all the talk we will all be disappointed with what happens for real in the transfer market.It Appears that excuses seem to be prepared beforehand.HOPE I am wrong
john52

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 pm

john52 wrote:JUst get a felling that regardless to all the talk we will all be disappointed with what happens for real in the transfer market.It Appears that excuses seem to be prepared beforehand.HOPE I am wrong

I think to be fair he has just confirmed what most of us already knew. It has been clear for some time that he is not going to have a massive budget available, and as he said, it is not just a matter of identifying who you want. You then have to persuade them to come to a club who are widely tipped for relegation. Hopefully Tan will give him enough money to get a decent player in, but I think loans are more likely. Warnock will have a tough task on his hands in January, and he still has to do his main job of getting results while trying to strengthen his team. Like he said, a director of football would be handy.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

I noticed Roy Keane said that his defending is not that geat. Shame that if he's a right back. Careful what we wish for.
Melsuttonholyboots

Return to General Chat