EMILIANO SALA: WHO IS HE AND WOULD HE JOIN CITY?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Who is Emiliano Sala and would he join Cardiff City? The big questions answered on Nantes transfer target
By Dominic Booth

West Ham, Everton and Leicester have all been linked with a transfer for the Nantes forward

Neil Warnock has admitted Cardiff City are interested in Emiliano Sala, he's watched him play, and now French media are going big on a Bluebirds' offer for the striker.

Of course, it's widely accepted that the Bluebirds need a new frontman in January, despite the recent success of Callum Paterson as a makeshift option up front.

But what is Sala's background? Is he the best man for the job? And would he join the Bluebirds amid interest from other Premier League sides?

Here are the main questions answered...

Who is he?

Emiliano Sala is a 28-year-old forward of Argentine birth and descent who has played his entire career in the French leagues.

He came through the ranks at Bordeaux before loan spells at Orleans, Niort and Caens landed him a move to Nantes.

What are his strengths?

Standing at 6 ft 3, Sala is a striker who fits the mould in terms of what Cardiff want.

He's big, good in the air, he's physical and he's a poacher too, with 90 per cent of his goals for Nantes this season coming from finishes inside the penalty box.

Scoring 12 goals in the first 16 matches of Ligue 1 this season is no mean feat either, especially for a side languishing down in 13th place. Only Kylian Mbappe — plying his trade for runaway league leaders Paris Saint Germain — has matched Sala's tally.

How much would he cost?

If reports in France are to be believed, Nantes are quite keen on raking in some money for Sala, who will enter the final year of his contract in the summer and turns 29 next year.

For that reason, the initial £25million fee is believed to be higher than what Cardiff — or any buying club — will pay.

The figure is likely to be nearer the £15million mark, which could be in the Bluebirds' ball park — while still representing a hefty fee (which would break the club's transfer record).

Would he join Cardiff?

Interest from Premier League powerhouses West Ham, Everton and Leicester has been mentioned at various stages, so too from Crystal Palace, Fulham and Southampton.

So there are no shortage of suitors for the 28-year-old.

But with respected source France Football reported that the Bluebirds are in pole position — most likely a product of Warnock's trip to France to see Sala in action — they could land their man.

Reports also suggest talks have been held, with Cardiff fans starting to get optimistic that a deal will be done.

The caveat comes in the fact Warnock tends to hold back his business until the end of transfer windows, when he believes more value can be extracted from the market.

The Bluebirds won't want to miss out on a player like Sala, even if they have a list of several other targets.

Lots will happen between now and the opening of the window on New Year's Day.
Attachments
Emiliano Sala.jpg
Emiliano Sala.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: EMILIANO SALA: WHO IS HE AND WOULD HE JOIN CITY?

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm sure someone mentioned he has the same agent as Bamba too so there could be something in this :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:41 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I'm sure someone mentioned he has the same agent as Bamba too so there could be something in this :ayatollah:

Well let's hope so. I'm worried when I read that they're trying to sign some bloke from the 'Evo Stick League' who was chucked out of Leeds reserves.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I'm sure someone mentioned he has the same agent as Bamba too so there could be something in this :ayatollah:

Liam, I just hope (for once) we get our signings in early, so as not to have to worry and be disappointed yet again as the window closes and our options disappear

This window is possibly the most important I our (recent at least) history :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Sven wrote:

Liam, I just hope (for once) we get our signings in early, so as not to have to worry and be disappointed yet again as the window closes and our options disappear

This window is possibly the most important I our (recent at least) history :ayatollah:

Totally agree Sven... I mentioned in another thread that three positions are vital.
If we can get these right then I think we have every chance of survival. :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Really we want two strikers. A proven man like this and maybe someone from the Championship as a backup.
Personally I'd be going for this man or Niasse PLUS Maupay.
We also urgently need a right back of course , but if it's a straight choice I'd prefer an extra striker to another midfielder.
That'd be a big risk because we'd be stuck if there were an injury and one I'd rather not take, but the plain fact is that we need now to score goals and unless we can improve that area we will be in trouble after the window .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Bluesman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Don't waste a month by leaving the signings until the end of the window to save a few pounds, we need points to stay up.
Bluesman

Postby Cardiff_4Ever » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Awsome if he joins
Cardiff_4Ever

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:45 pm

I should think we are more likely to get the lad from Tadcaster than a striker from Nantes.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Charlie Harper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I should think we are more likely to get the lad from Tadcaster than a striker from Nantes.

Baa humbug :happy1:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

More important we get the right players than the quickest players. I would think any player of a decent caliber will want to look at his options, I know I would.
2blue2handle

Postby JB1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I think we're in a better position to sign players than we were at the start of the season. We're not in the bottom three, have a united team with good spirit. And loan players like After and Camarasa showing what a fantastic opportunity it can be to play for the bluebirds!!!
JB1

Postby BobbyBlue » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 pm

12 mil no higher, don’t get pressured into paying ova the odds Neil boi.
BobbyBlue

Postby nubbsy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:04 am

Just give Madine a chance. He's got bags of skill, pace and quality.
nubbsy

Return to General Chat