ALMOST SIGNED SHEFF WED KEEPER FOR £3MILL

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am

According to outside sources of Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff CIty bid £3m for Sheff Wed 'keeper Kieren Westwood. Wednesday wanted closer to £6m and he is now being linked with a free move to Leeds.

We ultimately signed Alex Smithies for a reported £3m-£3.5m
TAP_Sheep

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ALMOST SIGNED SHEFF WED KEEPER

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:According to outside sources of Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff CIty bid £3m for Sheff Wed 'keeper Kieren Westwood. Wednesday wanted closer to £6m and he is now being linked with a free move to Leeds.

Westwood probably a better keeper as good as etheridge and more experienced.
pembroke allan

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 am

pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:According to outside sources of Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff CIty bid £3m for Sheff Wed 'keeper Kieren Westwood. Wednesday wanted closer to £6m and he is now being linked with a free move to Leeds.

I'm not sure. He's 34 and hasn't played this season but I think it's because of an injury. Anything more than £3m would've been hefty for that! Smithies good back up now and he's much younger
TAP_Sheep

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:37 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I'm not sure. He's 34 and hasn't played this season but I think it's because of an injury. Anything more than £3m would've been hefty for that! Smithies good back up now and he's much younger

Ahhh ok take injury aside do think he would have been a satisfactory signing as 1st choice or backup but cannot complain with our top 2 keepers :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Re: ALMOST SIGNED SHEFF WED KEEPER FOR £3MILL

Postby bluebird58 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 am

Extra cover for when Etheridge goes to Asia Cup?
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 am

bluebird58 wrote:Extra cover for when Etheridge goes to Asia Cup?

For free yes, if it's too much of a fee it isn't worth it. Murphy and Smithies are fine!
TAP_Sheep

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:49 am

pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Ahhh ok take injury aside do think he would have been a satisfactory signing as 1st choice or backup but cannot complain with our top 2 keepers :thumbup:

I agree ! Not for £6m though. Would've been more than happy with Westwood for similar fee to Smithies :)
TAP_Sheep

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:

For free yes, if it's too much of a fee it isn't worth it. Murphy and Smithies are fine!

Wasn't this in the summer? :?

Not really an option now, as he has been injured and we need a ready made cover for Alex Smithies when Neil Etheridge goes away; which in itself far from an ideal situation in our position, as it could unbalance the team's cohesion a little
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 am

Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not really an option now, as he has been injured and we need a ready made cover for Alex Smithies when Neil Etheridge goes away; which in itself far from an ideal situation in our position, as it could unbalance the team's cohesion a little

Yeah that's why I said we almost signed him and that we ultimately signed Smithies. Think Murphy is an adequate back up to Smithies while Etheridge is away unless we decide on a short-term deal for another GK. Which I doubt Westwood would be after.
TAP_Sheep

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Yeah that's why I said we almost signed him and that we ultimately signed Smithies. Think Murphy is an adequate back up to Smithies while Etheridge is away unless we decide on a short-term deal for another GK. Which I doubt Westwood would be after.

Sorry, I was looking at your comment above "Extra cover for when Etheridge goes to Asia Cup?" which suggests it's an option now :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am

Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Sorry, I was looking at your comment above "Extra cover for when Etheridge goes to Asia Cup?" which suggests it's an option now :thumbright:

That was the other bloke ha! I'm fine with Murphy and Smithies. Can always shove a youth keeper in as back up :thumbright:
TAP_Sheep

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
Sven wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

That was the other bloke ha! I'm fine with Murphy and Smithies. Can always shove a youth keeper in as back up :thumbright:

Oh aye! :thumbright: :lol: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Do we really need another keeper? I would have thought other positions would be taking priority
Bluebird1990

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

he will be away for 2 games...and we have 2 reserve keepers and the window will more than likely still be open when Etheridge returns {if injured }..im not sure signing Smithies was shrewd when funds are so small let alone bringing in an extra fan
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

he will be away for 2 games...and we have 2 reserve keepers and the window will more than likely still be open when Etheridge returns {if injured }..im not sure signing Smithies was shrewd when funds are so small let alone bringing in an extra fan
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm

How many goalkeepers do we need
We paid a lot for Smithies - is he another one of the players we seem to buy before we decide they're any good then pay their wages for nothing ?
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Maybe we're going to play three or four goalkeepers in the return match with Manchester City, but I'm not sure whether the rules allow this - someone should phone up Fifa and check before we spend all that money.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Igovernor » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:34 pm

-This in this mornings Sheffield star newspaper

Almost???????????????
Last edited by Igovernor on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Igovernor

Postby Igovernor » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:35 pm

-This in this mornings Sheffield star newspaper

Cardiff City bid for Sheffield Wednesday ace plus latest on moves from Leeds United and Aston Villa
Who are we selling then?
Igovernor

Postby TAP_Sheep » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:03 am

Igovernor wrote:-This in this mornings Sheffield star newspaper

Almost???????????????

They got it wrong. The original article was from HITC saying we bid in the summer. Sheffield Star must've misread and took it as we've made a bid now.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/12/s ... iren-west/
TAP_Sheep

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:13 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:How many goalkeepers do we need
We paid a lot for Smithies - is he another one of the players we seem to buy before we decide they're any good then pay their wages for nothing ?

Read the post.
We need 3 goalkeepers and that’s what we have. Smithies was bought to give competition to Etheridge and battle it out for the number one spot. Etheridge is winning that position at the moment with Smithies a decent back up.
Difficult to grasp I know :roll:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat