Callum Paterson:

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Callum Paterson:

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm

The making of Callum Paterson, a crazy Cardiff City cult hero

By Dominic Booth

Wednesday 12th December 2018

There's a feeling among the national media that Cardiff City are having us all on.

They've been fielding a former Hearts right-back as their striker in the Premier League and he's actually scoring goals.

Four of them to be precise — more than any other Cardiff player.

Callum Paterson's transformation from useful utility player to the Bluebirds' foremost focal point is certainly one of the more intriguing talking points of the season.

Especially when you consider Paterson the person as well as the player. Paterson the joker, the flossing figure of fun who combines silly celebrations with a serious style of forward play that is confounding Premier League defences the world over.

So just how did the slightly cumbersome, moustachioed 24-year-old from Edinburgh become a Cardiff City cult hero?

Once a striker, always a striker?

“Callum’s not a full back — he can’t defend,” said Warnock last season.

“I’ll have to have a word with Craig Levein when I see him. I’ve been sold a dummy by Hearts there.”

Warnock's words seemed slightly bizarre given the success Paterson enjoyed as a right-back north of the border.

But the Yorkshireman was nevertheless determined to find Paterson a place in his team, first as an attacking midfielder and more recently as a striker.

We've heard the words 'Paterson is not a striker' on many occasions this season. 'Makeshift' has been a commonly used term.

But former Hearts boss John McGlynn, now in charge of Raith Rovers in the Scottish third tier, thought in 2012 along the same lines as Warnock would six years later.

On coming across a 17-year-old Paterson, he was willing to throw him into the Hearts first team — up front.

"I'd just arrived at the club in that summer and there was a number of cutbacks, a number of players had left in the summer," says McGlynn.

"Callum was known to me and the youth team coach at the time Darren Murray had played Callum in lots of different positions.

"We had only a couple of other strikers at the club at the time. Callum was very quick, very strong and very powerful — also very good in the air — so he ticked a lot of boxes playing up front."

It didn't work for McGlynn in such dramatic fashion as it's worked for Warnock, but the seeds were sown.

Loving every minute

One of the main reasons why both McGlynn and Warnock were willing to take a gamble on Paterson was his boundless enthusiam.

Sol Bamba echoes Warnock's belief that "he just cannot defend, trust me", but has been taken aback by the Scot's willingness to perform tasks without question, without complaint.

"What's important for the gaffer is that you're ready to go through brick walls and if you do, he'll look after you," says Bamba.

"He just gets on with it, even when he doesn't touch the ball in a game like Liverpool, he'll always work hard."

Paterson is just loving every minute.

He has developed a remarkable relationship with the Cardiff fans too — who adore not just his work rate and unerring knack of scoring, but his eccentric personality.

Aside from his heroics in aiding the Bluebirds promotion and subsequent survival bid, there's been plenty to enjoy off the pitch.

Swigging from a bottle of MD 20/20 after promotion, replicating dances from popular video game Fortnite, dressing up as a policeman for the Cardiff City Christmas party, sliding bizarrely into the net after Junior Hoilett's goal against Wolves... the list of Paterson antics is long.

In Warnock's words, "he's not a full shilling".

"What's not to love?" says Bluebirds fan Scott Johnson.

"You either have personality or you don’t. You can’t fake it.

"Callum Paterson is so popular for so many reasons, but I think it’s mainly because he’s fun. He looks like he’s having fun out there, as he should be, and it’s infectious."

"He's extravagant, he's funny, the way he celebrates goals just shows the way he is," adds Bamba.

And McGlynn spots the same character he saw developing in the Hearts academy, now blossoming on the biggest stage.

"I've seen these celebrations and you can see that he's enjoying himself," says McGlynn.

"And why not?

"He's expressing himself which he was always keen to do. He's obviously developing as a player and a person and it looks like he's struck up a rapport with the Cardiff fans — it was similar at Hearts as well."

"He was popular in the Hearts dressing room and the thing he was best known then for were his goal celebrations," adds Scotsman football journalist Barry Anderson.

"I see that has continued for Cardiff. If you look at footage of his goals for Hearts then he always celebrated in a different and crazy way."

Crazy is probably the right word for Paterson, but in the best possible way.

Reaping the rewards :bluebird:

Despite signing for the Bluebirds in June 2017, Paterson's Cardiff debut was delayed until late October due to an ACL injury.

Initially, he struggled to break into the team on his return from injury, partially a product of Warnock's belief that he couldn't play at right-back.

That struggle for selection continued into this season, despite Paterson finishing as the Bluebirds' top league scorer and picking up the club's Young Player Of The Year award last term.

He started only one of Cardiff's first six Premier League games.

In other words, it hasn't always been this enjoyable for the smiling Scot. His versatility hasn't always been a boon.

"He's got so many assets he could play anywhere really," adds McGlynn, who points out that Paterson played right-back for Scotland as recently as last month.

"Most players don't go from such different positions in a short time.

"But Callum has got a level of enthusiasm that means he'll just go and do it. That's the type of lad he was and no doubt still is. He will always get an amount of success out of that."

Bamba adds: "He's always doing silly things but at the same time he works hard for the team and he's very happy to be here.

"He said to me 'I never thought I'd be playing in the Premier League this quick', but he's enjoying it and, credit to him, he's been fantastic ever since he came to the club."

Callum Paterson and Sol Bamba celebrate with other Cardiff City players during the win over Birmingham last season
And that's been crucial to Paterson's rise.

While he's is happy to play the clown, and will continue to connect with fans as only he can, he's uber-serious about his role as a Premier League footballer.

Some players will reel off bland soundbites about how they're 'happy to play wherever for the manager', but Paterson actually means it.

His selfless attitude — and no shortage of talent — is being rewarded at the highest level.

For McGlynn, the first man willing to take a risk on Paterson, it's very satisfying to see.

"You always hope for these things for a young player but there has to be an element of surprise," he admits.

"I was the one who played him up front, but when it wasn't working I was getting criticised by Hearts fans.

"Lo and behold six years on, he's scoring goals in the English Premier League.

"It just shows what can be done and fair play to Callum, he's making the most of his abilities and that's all you can ask."

All Cardiff fans ask if for endeavour and enthusiasm from their players. A personality like Paterson's goes down well, too.
Attachments
0_Paterson.jpg
0_Paterson.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Callum Paterson:

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Callum Paterson:

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Epitomises Warnocks squad, hopefully a City favourite for years to come. Typical cult hero for us.
Melsuttonholyboots

Postby T1JMO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 am

I hope we keep him for years!
T1JMO

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am

We were b*stard lucky he got injured. He was off to West Ham before that
TAP_Sheep

Postby ferguslysaght11 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Callums engine is unbelievable fair play, just needs someone up there with him so he’s not so isolated, hopefully we can get someone up there with him.
ferguslysaght11

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Epitomises Warnocks squad, hopefully a City favourite for years to come. Typical cult hero for us.

:thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby billy ronson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Epitomises Warnocks squad, hopefully a City favourite for years to come. Typical cult hero for us.

City fans have always loved a “trier” and he plays with a smile on his face ! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Return to General Chat