Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RUGBY TO SHARE CARDIFF CITY STADIUM?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 pm

BATH RUGBY CLUB ARE LOOKING TO SHARE THE FOLLOWING GROUNDS?

The ground-share options included Cardiff Arms Park, Newport's Rodney Parade and Cardiff City Stadium, home of the Bluebirds.

Bath rugby are considering sharing our ground while their new one gets built.

Re: RUGBY TO SHARE CARDIFF CITY STADIUM?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Surely they'd be better talking to Swindon or one of the Bristol clubs

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 pm

I wonder if this would help us? Cut the carpet pitch up a bit and inhibit some of our expensively assembled opponents and there brand of possession football, or get our lad's training on it. ?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Lets hope not

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:I wonder if this would help us? Cut the carpet pitch up a bit and inhibit some of our expensively assembled opponents and there brand of possession football, or get our lad's training on it. ?

Come on mate. We're already viewed as total scum in this league :lol:

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Hope not. The last time we shared the ground with them they ruined the playing surface and their fans did not want to go to our stadium. They did nothing but moan about almost everything and I seem to remember that they were unable to pay the rental fee at times

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Sorry didn't read the original post correctly I thought it was the blues who were looking to move in with us again. I still hope we don't share with any other rugby team and ruin the playing surface again.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm

I think the playing surface was ruined last time due to Risdale installing the cheapest pitch possible.
The liberty stands up pretty well.
My only condition would be that all branding is match day only and every bit of money helps.
It would only be a short term move until they build their stadium.
Does seem a bit of a drag for their supporters , im guessing sharing with Bristol City is out of the question as they already have the rugby and football , would the pitch really stand up to 3 teams playing there.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Don't do it, it will ruin the pitch. Anyway why would we want an English rugby team play at the CCS.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Why it’s not even close.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm

thats all we need, another rugby team wanting our stadium, well just look at Wembley after Spurs let American Football play there, and in the past our pitch was poor after Cardiff Blues shared the stadium with Cardiff City. Just keep our stadium purely for the football, NOT RUBGY :roll:

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:BATH RUGBY CLUB ARE LOOKING TO SHARE THE FOLLOWING GROUNDS?

The ground-share options included Cardiff Arms Park, Newport's Rodney Parade and Cardiff City Stadium, home of the Bluebirds.

Bath rugby are considering sharing our ground while their new one gets built.

Will City season ticket holders get free entry to Bath Spa.Its good for the old Arthritis :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm

No egg, please.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Trueblue49 wrote:Hope not. The last time we shared the ground with them they ruined the playing surface and their fans did not want to go to our stadium. They did nothing but moan about almost everything and I seem to remember that they were unable to pay the rental fee at times

Spot on whatever club it is !!!

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:I wonder if this would help us? Cut the carpet pitch up a bit and inhibit some of our expensively assembled opponents and there brand of possession football, or get our lad's training on it. ?

Pitch has to be of an adequate standard, and the club needs to do all they can to keep it at an adequate standard, as per league rules.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Nye, just like Wembley then.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:37 pm

cant see this happening Annis to be honest got to be fake news

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm

nins27 wrote:cant see this happening Annis to be honest got to be fake news

Not fake news, but I can never see it happening and I really hope it does not.

I can't see either, but it came direct from Media Wales, who got it from the local news in Bath :thumbright:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 pm

In fairness to Tan, one of the first things they did when the takeover was completed was to get rid of the egg chasers who were ruining the pitch.

Can't see them allowing the fat fuckers back again thank goodness.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Can't see it happening.
Bath's first choice is to have a temporary stadium on the Rec next to where the new stadium is being built. If that isn't feasible they are looking at having a temporary stadium somewhere else in the area, most likely at their training ground just outside Bath. As a last resort they are also looking at ground shares, but our stadium will be so far down the list I just can't see it even being a realistic option. If a ground share was going to happen I'd put my money on it being at Bristol Rovers (where Bristol Rugby only stopped playing a few years ago) or Swindon.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 am

Why don't they use Twerton Park, home of Bath City FC and where the Gas used to play when exiled from Bristol? Big enough for a year and would get bigger crowds than Bath people "commuting" to Cardiff or even Newport

I used to live in Bath and couldn't understand why there wasn't a shared stadium for both teams given the lack of suitable space anywhere locally

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

RadnorRoad wrote:Why don't they use Twerton Park, home of Bath City FC and where the Gas used to play when exiled from Bristol? Big enough for a year and would get bigger crowds than Bath people "commuting" to Cardiff or even Newport

I used to live in Bath and couldn't understand why there wasn't a shared stadium for both teams given the lack of suitable space anywhere locally

As someone who still does live in Bath, and watches both teams from time to time (when I am not in watching the city anyway!):

Twerton Park isn't really big enough for the rugby even for just a year (capacity of just over 8k compared to the current 14k for the Rec, with all season tickets sold out and a waiting list in place), and the facilities just aren't good enough for Premiership Rugby. I know some people would argue they could just deal with it for a year, but it wouldn't go down well!!

As for a shared stadium, the problem is the difference in attendances. Bath City don't usually get more than 1000 people, whereas Bath Rugby regularly get 13k and often more. If you have a stadium big enough for the Rugby, it will be way too empty when the football is there (basically the opposite of when the Blues played at the CCS!). It has been talked about in the past, but that added to the issues that you get with shared pitches means it never goes anywhere.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Lets face it our pitch was terrible state when the Blues played there. Nobody would allow this to happen.

Anyway - total nonsense why would they want to travel 1 1/2 hours for a home game. Surely Ashton Gate would be better option for them

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Lets face it our pitch was terrible state when the Blues played there. Nobody would allow this to happen.

Anyway - total nonsense why would they want to travel 1 1/2 hours for a home game. Surely Ashton Gate would be better option for them

Bristol rugby club already play there, not sure why Swindons county ground is not being mentioned though..15k capacity and closer..

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Any updates on this?