Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OT: INCREDIBLE BUT CONTROVERSIAL TYSON FURY FIGHT

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 am

Wilder vs Fury: American retains world title as epic battle ends in controversial split draw
A rematch is on the cards
The Telegraph

Fury wants that rematch - and makes a dig at Anthony Joshua in the process.

Wilder agrees on the AJ front.

Fury is putting on a brave face in the aftermath, but his initial reaction to the split decision says it all.

Fury's trainer Ben Davison is livid and the young trainer says he's "sick" about the decision.

"You've just taken away the best comeback not just in boxing history but in sporting history from a man who's come back from hell. That's sick.

"I'm being deadly honest with you, I'm not really [feeling proud]. We didn't come out here for the money, we wanted to win. I'm sick, I'm absolutely gutted, and like I said you've got to be sick to do that to a man like Tyson."

He also cuts off any talk of a rematch, saying they all need a break.

Gareth A Davies' thoughts on the decision

"Split decision draw easy to argue with or easy to defend. Depends how you see it. I had the fight by at least four rounds to Fury even though he was knocked down twice.

"If they fight again - I think they won't as Wilder will go after Anthony Joshua - Fury will be better."

Wilder is sure he won it too...

The Alabaman is adamant he won it - but admits he was lacking in parts.

"I think with the two knock downs I won the fight. We both are warriors but with those two falls I think I won the fight.. I rushed my punches, I didn't sit still, I was too hesitant."

But what was said when the two embraced at the end?

"When you at each other and then you have a great fight like that you're giving each other what you got, it's not all about getting whooped. [Fury] said he loved me, thanked me for the opportunity, said I love you, what a great fight. The respect is mutual.

"I was rushing my punches, something I usually don't do. I was rushing it, I was forcing my punches instead of sitting back and staying patient. All the build up, the hype and everything you know...

"I didn't feel no pressure at all. I was just forcing the punches. But the rematch I guarantee I'm gona get him."

Fury speaks, and he definitely thought he won that

"We're on away soil, I was on the ground twice but I truly believe I won that fight, and I think everyone in here did too. Bless Wilder, thank you for the opportunity D. God bless you, and god bless America. The gypsy king has returned...

"The world knows the truth, I thought I won the fight, and I should have gone home with that belt, but we're on away soil so God bless his team, God bless America.

Thank you to all the fans for making the trip, I hope I've done you all proud after three f****** years out of the ring. I got put down with some good shots, and I showed good heart to get up. I came out here and fought my heart out."

The Brit is gracious considering the situation, and is smiling along, wishing everyone a merry Christmas, and talking about all the turkey he's going to eat come December 25, but he definitely feels robbed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OT: INCREDIBLE BUT CONTROVERSIAL TYSON FURY FIGHT

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:54 am

An incredible fight where a truly psyched up Tyson Fury negated Deontay Wilder's seemingly one-trick tactic for the vast majority of this fight

He (Fury) boxed cleverly and kept Wilder at bay, whilst putting in some good combinations to keep (in the opinion of most commentators) ahead and in control of the fight

Wilder was looking tired and 'punched' out; even though he hadn't landed many of his attempts with Fury often mocking him and letting him know he needed to 'step it up'

A quick combination put Fury on the floor in Round 9 but Fury was quickly on his feet and saw out the round

That apart, the television pundits still had Fury several rounds ahead on their cards and all seemed well until the final (12th Round) where Wilder seemingly had no option but to come out swinging...but he was clearly tired and pretty much punched out. However, he had one good attack left in him and launched a superb punch in the first minute...

For all intents and purposes, Tyson Fury was out for the count and it wouldn't have surprised had the referee called an immediate halt for medical attention...but then in true 'Rocky' style, Fury opened his eyes, looked at the referee and got to his feet just before the count of 10

A dancing in victory Deontay Wilder's face was the picture of the evening! You could see it; "WTF!" :shock: :lol:

A superb Tyson Fury weathered the storm with two minutes still to go and actually bossed the last moments of the fight before the final bell and a resigned Deontay Wilder walked meekly back to his corner, whilst (in the opinion of most) a victorious Tyson Fury acknowledged the appreciative crowd

Then came the verdict and to use the word 'surprised' is an understatement...a 'split' decision and with one judge incredibly giving the fight to Wilder by a margin of 115 - 111, another giving it to Fury by a margin of 114 - 112 and the third (a Brit) scoring t 113 - 113

Fight commentator, Cardiff's own excellent Barry Jones was incredulous and rightly so! Fury had surely done enough and this was an odd one...

Respective boxing journalist Gareth A Davies agreed but had this to say...

Gareth A Davies: round 12 verdict:

"Dramatic left-right and Fury is down. He makes the count. He has two minutes to survive. Such drama.

Now Wilder looks exhausted. Dramatic, dramatic ending....

Wilder 10-8

I have Fury the victor but this is going to be controversial"

And so it proved!

Former champion Lennox Lewis was equally perplexed but not surprised...

"They did it to me!", he stated

To be fair, a cracking fight that bettered expectations and well worth staying up for; but a seemingly contrived result, which opens up a cash-laden re-match for the two and another mega pay-day for boxers and promoters alike! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 am

Reaction

Everyone is having their say online - many calling out judge Alejandro Rochin's scorecard which had Wilder up by four rounds at one point. Here English golfer Tommy Fleetwood agrees with what seems to be the general consensus on Twitter.

How did Fury get up?

Wilder acknowledges Fury's astonishing ability to get up in the 12th round: "I was definitely surprised he got up."

Wilder certainly celebrated prematurely, as seconds later Fury would be up and swinging

The look on Wilder's face (image to follow) was priceless and at that point he looked resigned to defeat

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 am

I think the result was correct in all honesty.

Both can argue that they deserved to win and you can argue that both should have lost.

Tyson was ahead in rounds but the knock downs evened it up for me.

The only thing that was wrong was the difference in judges scorcards.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 am

I had fury 4 up going into the last so by my reckoning winningby 2 rounds.
Feel sorry for Tyson but he will come again, what made it more hard to swallow was the fact that english judge Edwards only lives about 30 mins from Fury.
But after lastnight i would predict Joshua would walk all over Wilder.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:50 am

I had wilder winning the second round and both knock downs gives him 5 rounds
The criticism I gave is that fury flicks out his jab a fare bit landing with the back of his hand and alot of judges won't score them shots.
Also wilder was the aggressor most of the fight and alot of judges like that.

Fury should should of won purely for getting up from that 12th round knockdown :thumbright:

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 pm

RageJon wrote:I had wilder winning the second round and both knock downs gives him 5 rounds
The criticism I gave is that fury flicks out his jab a fare bit landing with the back of his hand and alot of judges won't score them shots.

Fury should should of won purely for getting up from that 12th round knockdown :thumbright:

No use being the aggressor if you cant land the vast majority of your punches. Fury out boxed him, out jabbed him and ducked and dodged Wilders haymaker attempts.

Wilders problem is he seems very one dimensional, only has his big punch and a really poor jab, which scores points. Fury worked that out and Wilder wasn't able to adapt.

I think almost everybody is in agreement that Fury won that on points.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Does anyone know when the fight is going to be shown on a non box office Chanel.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
RageJon wrote:I had wilder winning the second round and both knock downs gives him 5 rounds

No use being the aggressor if you cant land the vast majority of your punches. Fury out boxed him, out jabbed him and ducked and dodged Wilders haymaker attempts.

Wilders problem is he seems very one dimensional, only has his big punch and a really poor jab, which scores points. Fury worked that out and Wilder wasn't able to adapt.

I think almost everybody is in agreement that Fury won that on points.

I had fury win by a round