Nations League and Euro 2020 qualification explained:

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Nations League and Euro 2020 qualification explained: What happens if Wales win, lose or draw against Denmark tonight

Nations League Explainer

Wales face Denmark at Cardiff City Stadium in the fourth and final group stage match of their inaugural Nations League campaign.

Ryan Giggs' side go into the match at the top of Group 4 in League B.

Here's everything you need to know about the Nations League game, and what it all means for Euro 2020 and everything else.

Results so far

Wales 4-1 Republic of Ireland

Denmark 2-0 Wales

Republic of Ireland 0-0 Denmark

Republic of Ireland 0-1 Wales

How the groups stands

1 Wales - Pld: 3; Pts: 6; GD: +2

2 Denmark - Pld: 2; Pts: 4; GD: +2

3 Republic of Ireland - Pld: 3; Pts: 1; GD: -4

Remaining fixtures

Wales v Denmark, Cardiff City Stadium - 7:45pm, November 16.

Denmark v Republic of Ireland, Ceres Park - 7:45pm, November 19.

How does the group work?

Given that there are only three teams in Wales' group - as is the case with each of the four pots in Leagues A and B - each position has differing rewards.

The winner of the group will gain promotion into League A for the next Nations League in 2020 after the Euros.

But crucially, the country to finish in first place will get the chance to secure a place at Euro 2020 via the play-offs (if they don't qualify through the regular format).

Whoever finishes second in the table will remain in League B next time around.

And as for the side that finishes third, they will be relegated into League C for the next edition of the Nations League.

So what do Wales need to finish top of Group 4?

A win. Simple as that...

If Wales beat the Danes in Cardiff, they will have an unassailable tally of nine points.

But if they fail to win, their destiny will no longer be in their own hands.

They could still top the group with a draw against Denmark, although Wales would have to hope the Danes don't win in their final game against Ireland in Aarhus next week.

Age Hareide's side will finish top if they beat Wales at Cardiff City Stadium.

Whatever happens, Wales cannot be relegated as they have five more points than Ireland who have just one game remaining.

Talk us through the Euro 2020 qualification bit again

Ok, the actual main qualification process for Euro 2020 has thankfully been simplified, with the top two teams in each of the 10 groups qualifying automatically. The group draw takes place in December, after the conclusion of this year's Nations League.

The seedings for qualification will be determined by how teams performed in the Nations League and the fixtures will played between March and November 2019.

Those qualifiers will account for 20 of the 24 competing teams at the tournament in the normal way. The final four teams to make it through will come from the Nations League play-offs, with one from League A, one from League B, one from League C and one from League D.

In theory, the winners of each of the four groups within each League will play in a single leg play-off semi final, with the two winners facing off in a final for a place at Euro 2020.

The better ranked teams - based on their performance in the Nations League - will host the semi-finals, while the host of the final will be decided by a draw.

However, inevitably some teams will already have qualified through the normal qualifiers. In that case, their place will go to the next highest-ranked team from their Nations League tier (not necessarily the second placed team in their group).

So, if Wales fail to qualify for Euro 2020 through the normal route, there's no doubt the Nations League gives them a real chance of a second bite of the cherry if they perform well.

For example, if they finish third in their Euro 2020 qualifying group (as they did in the World Cup qualifiers) but top their Nations League group they will still have a shot in the play-offs.

The draw for these play-offs will take place in November next year following the completion of the Euro 2020 group stage matches when we'll know who has already qualified through the usual format.

So what about the Euro qualifiers?

The draw for the Euro 2020 qualifiers takes place in Dublin on December 2.

Teams will be seeded based on the overall Nations League rankings.

There will be a total of six pots, with pot 1 featuring the top ranked sides while pot 6 will include the lowest ranked teams.

Wales' victory over Ireland in last month Dublin ensured they will be in pot 2.

The 55 teams will be split into 10 groups of five or six, with the top two from each group qualifying for Euro 2020.

When will the Euro qualifiers take place?

Each team will play twice (unless in a group of five) during each of the following five international breaks in 2019:

March 21-26
June 7-11
September 5-10
October 10-15
November 14-19

So when will the Euro 2020 tournament draw take place?

The draw for the tournament itself will happen on December 1, 2019 while an additional draw will be made in April 2020 if required after the final Nations League play-offs in March 2020.
Attachments
0_JS161627943.jpg
0_JS161627943.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Nations League and Euro 2020 qualification explained:

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:37 pm

RYAN GIGGS:

“There's lots of incentives to top the group. First of all to actually win a really competitive group would be great, and then you get a second bite of the cherry with regards to qualifying for the Euros if you don't qualify automatically – and it has an effect on the seedings come the Euro draw as well. We started off wanting to win, it's a new tournament, we wanted to win the first one, the first Nations League, and it's in our hands now.

"It's not going to be easy because we're up against a top-class side, a very good manager, players who have been a together a long time and who have proved over a period of time that they're tough to beat and they're a very good team.”
Annis
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby snoopystorm » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 pm

So if I’ve got this right we stay in B4, Croatia joins us after being relegated from A4, Ireland drop down to C4 and Serbia move up to B4 so our next round of home/away games are Croatia and Serbia in the Nations League......

What about qualifying for Euro 2020, I take it we have to do it the hard way as Denmark are guaranteed a playoff place
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby Bridgend_bluebird » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 pm

snoopystorm wrote:So if I’ve got this right we stay in B4, Croatia joins us after being relegated from A4, Ireland drop down to C4 and Serbia move up to B4 so our next round of home/away games are Croatia and Serbia in the Nations League......

What about qualifying for Euro 2020, I take it we have to do it the hard way as Denmark are guaranteed a playoff place

Yup. We gotta go through the qualifiers. Weren't garunteed qualification if we won our group anyway. Just means we would've made the play offs
Win or lose I'll Be there with my ticket and a pint!
Bridgend_bluebird

Postby luxy1970 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Think it goes on seedings. So a complete re-draw next time (of those who end up in B)
luxy1970

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 pm

snoopystorm wrote:So if I’ve got this right we stay in B4, Croatia joins us after being relegated from A4, Ireland drop down to C4 and Serbia move up to B4 so our next round of home/away games are Croatia and Serbia in the Nations League......

Top 2 qualify which is an improvement there is also place for some 3rd place team within qualification..... draw is made in couple weeks 8th dec I think. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Top 2 qualify which is an improvement there is also place for some 3rd place team within qualification..... draw is made in couple weeks 8th dec I think. :old:

no 3rds mate....20 teams ,2 from each of the 10 groups and 4 play off winners
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:14 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

know about top 2 in groups thats 20 teams,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but looking at nations cup it does seem that come march 2020 the winners of the groups will get a place in euro 20 thats final 4 places! so looks like ireland will get a chance to qualify through easier group c? or am i missing something???
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

know about top 2 in groups thats 20 teams,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but looking at nations cup it does seem that come march 2020 the winners of the groups will get a place in euro 20 thats final 4 places! so looks like ireland will get a chance to qualify through easier group c? or am i missing something???

I thought you meant 3rd in the qualifying groups ..sorry..

but yes in theory..if the 20 highest ranked teams now { those in pot1 and pot2 } all qualify it will leave the nations league play offs needing to draft 8 countries { the 8 highest in Uefa rankings } which would be the 4 finishing bottom in the league B mini leagues and the 4 finishing 2nd in the league C mini leagues
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I thought you meant 3rd in the qualifying groups ..sorry..

but yes in theory..if the 20 highest ranked teams now { those in pot1 and pot2 } all qualify it will leave the nations league play offs needing to draft 8 countries { the 8 highest in Uefa rankings } which would be the 4 finishing bottom in the league B mini leagues and the 4 finishing 2nd in the league C mini leagues

Thanks it's clear as mud! But sure come March 2020 will know more..... do know how we finish in nations league effects qualification in 2024 what pot we are in? :old:
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat