' More fighting from rugby fans / players etc '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:52 am

More in the News today and more to come also a Welsh Rugby fan is critical in hospital due to 3 other Welsh Rugby fans beating him up in the ground last Saturday v Australia.

Doormen deny attacking Shane Williams and his friends at Cardiff nightclub

The former Welsh international was out drinking with friends in Cardiff city centre when the alleged incident happened

By Cathy Owen

“There were high spirits with customers having a good time but the atmosphere in town from the afternoon was fairly volatile.”

THURSDAY 15 NOV 2018

NEWS

Dave Wing, Haydn Morgan, and Dean Flowers (left to right) all deny affray (Image: Wales News Service)

Bouncers at a Cardiff nightclub who are accused of attacking rugby star Shane Williams and his friends while ejecting them from the venue are on trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

A jury heard on Monday how Shane Williams' brother Dean was left unconscious after the alleged incident which followed the Wales v South Africa match at the Principality Stadium on December 2 last year.

The former Wales and Ospreys winger was out with his brother and friends Rhodri Williams and Stewart Herbert in Cardiff city centre after the game.

Doormen at Cardiff nightclub 'attacked Shane Williams and left his brother unconscious'

They were drinking at the Coyote Ugly nightclub on St Mary Street just before 10pm when someone approached the group and tried to headbutt Dean Williams.

After seeing this incident door staff working at the venue ejected the four-man group from the premises but an altercation outside Coyote Ugly, which was caught on CCTV, culminated in Dean Williams lying unconscious on the floor.

The door staff involved – Dean Flowers, 32, of Clos-y-Carlwm, Thornhill, Cardiff; Haydn Morgan, 42, of Herbert Street, Bridgend; and Dave Wing, 53, of Shearman Place, Grangetown, Cardiff – all deny affray.

The trial will continue on Thursday.

11:46
Why staff didn't shut the door

Wing is asked by Ms Wilks why the door staff didn’t shut the door on the Williams group.

He said: “We told them to ‘go home boys it’s pointless, just go home’. We tried to appeal to their better natures.

“Dean Williams has struck Aled James across the face and we’re still pleading for them to walk away. Shane Williams slammed the door into a doorman’s head so Aled James ran out to get them away from the door.”

Ms Wilks said: “Do you think it’s possible to just hold the doors. That would have created an obvious boundary.”

Wing said: “Yes, so would the Williams’ party walking away.”

11:36
Cross-examination begins

Mr Edwards has now finished his questioning of Wing and prosecutor Clare Wilks has now begun her cross-examination of the defendant.

11:35
Advised to give no comment interview

Wing said he continued to work at the club that night until he was arrested by police.

When asked by Mr Edwards why he gave a no comment interview, the defendant said: “I was advised by my solicitor and I had nothing to hide, and I knew the CCTV would back me up.”

Mr Edwards said: “Did you think you were unreasonable with the use of force that night?”

Wing said: “No, not in my opinion no.”

11:34
Dean Williams was unconscious

Mr Edwards asked Wing if he meant to harm Dean Williams.

He said: “No the intention was to nullify the threat. I then put him into the recovery position because he was unconscious. I was aware of Shane Williams coming towards myself and Dean Williams so I tried to move Dean out the way.

“I slapped him to bring him back around and Haydn Morgan is shouting for him to get up. He woke up so I put him back on the floor and told him to stay there.”

11:33
Wing continues to describe the incident

He said: “I am trying to move Aled away from the situation to save Dean Williams from Aled’s blows, I threw a kick to Aled’s arms but he was throwing a punch and wasn’t listening. I pushed him off and grabbed Dean Williams’ shoulder.

“Aled had gone across the line so I intervened to protect Aled and Dean Williams.

“I could feel Dean biting down on my thumb so in response I forced my hand down the back of his throat.

“I then employed a technique I’ve seen South Wales Police use many times as a last resort and I put him in a defensive choke.

“I nullified the threat without punching or striking. The main aim of the restrain is to render him unconscious. I am cutting the blood supply off to the brain.”

11:23
Going through CCTV footage outside club

Referring to CCTV footage outside the club, Wing described the series of events.

He said: “Shane Williams slammed the door into a doorman’s face so we rushed out to push them away so we could shut the door. I could see Aled James going out and I could see Dean Williams strike Aled and split his eye.

“Aled is only human at the end of the day, sees red and goes for Dean Williams.”

Mr Edwards asked Wing if this was acceptable.

He replied: “He’s human, it wasn’t professional but was it reasonable for Dean Williams to strike him for no reason?”

11:15
'It’s pointless arguing, just go home’

Mr Edwards is now taking Wing through the CCTV footage.

Describing the footage, the defendant said: “From the Williams group it was really aggressive, lots of screaming and lots of shouting.

“I said ‘Boys, it’s pointless arguing, just go home’ but they weren’t listening.”

11:10
Group were asked to leave the premises

Wing is now taking the jury through his involvement in the incident between Shane Williams’ group and the door staff.

He said: “When I first walked through the door I was aware of Shane Williams coming down the stairs and I saw Haydn Morgan with Mr Herbert. I could see him talking to Mr Herbert so myself and Mr Morgan walked him down the stairs.

“(The group) were very volatile, refusing to leave, aggressive and raising their voices. I wanted to calm the situation down and asked them to leave the premises.”

11:07
Party were let in 'free of charge'

Wing said he was at the front door when Shane Williams and his group arrived.

He said: “I assessed them on the front door and had a quick chat with Shane and he introduced me to his brother, so I said ‘your brother has all the good looks in the family’.

“We laughed, had a hug and I let them in free of charge. I thought having Shane Williams in would be good for the club and I didn’t think he would be any trouble.”

The trial earlier heard that Shane Williams and his party had been asked to leave The Philharmonic.

Wing said: “If I had known they had been thrown out of the Philharmonic I would never have let them in.”

11:00
Atmosphere in town 'fairly volatile'

On December 2 last year, Wing was working at Coyote Ugly on the day Wales played South Africa in Cardiff.

He said: “There were high spirits with customers having a good time but the atmosphere in town from the afternoon was fairly volatile.”

He was working on the front door, along with Haydn Morgan and another doorman.

10:59
Based at Coyote Ugly

Wing said in December last year he was working every Friday and Saturday for a company called RAS, and would predominantly be based at Coyote Ugly.

10:51
25 years of experience

Wing said he runs a company called Resolve It where he and his colleague go to schools to talk about personal safety, self defence, healthy relationships and drugs and alcohol awareness.

He said he also works as a door supervisor, which he has been doing for 25 years. He also teaches door staff.

10:51
Last defendant to give evidence

Court has now reconvened and the jury have taken their places in the courtroom.

Dave Wing has taken to the witness box and Mr Edwards is about to begin his questioning.

Wing is the third and last defendant to give evidence after Dean Flowers and Haydn Morgan have evidence yesterday.

10:50
Witness to be questioned

Defendant Dave Wing will be taking to the witness box to give evidence, with his barrister Heath Edwards providing the questions.

10:42
Slight delay in proceedings

Recorder Duncan Bould has entered the court. One of the jurors is running late so proceedings are adjourned until they arrive.

09:40
Thursday

Good morning, we will be bringing you live updates from court again today when proceedings start at 10.30am.

17:07
Evidence ends for the day

Haydn Morgan has now finished giving evidence and has been released from the witness box.

The trial will reconvene at 10.30am tomorrow, when defendant Dave Wing is expected to give evidence.
Attachments
1_live.jpg
1_live.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' More fighting from rugby fans / players etc '

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 am

Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat