O/T Brexit & Theresa May

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: O/T Brexit & Theresa May

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 pm

noisycat wrote:Why do we have to pay £39 billion to leave? For once I agree with Trump, tell them to f..k off or even sue THEM.

We are legally obliged to due to a financial commitment to collaborative projects.
Cardiff dyskinesia

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
moonboots wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Yes, gross impertinence to want to be in charge of your own destiny.

Once we’ve left the eu, we’ll scrap the senedd. Right load of gobbledygog...

I'd rather scrap Westminster. A right load of totally incompetent idiots....as we are now seeing.

Westminster aint great...but seriously what on earth is the WA about...there was no ground swell of demand for it..74% did not vote for it. and since its been there its just been an expensive mistake nobody cares about..

Didn't the '97 devolution vote go in favour of an assembly? what's the 74% you're referring to here?

the vote was foisted on us without any real enthusiasm for it...just over 50% bothered voting and despite the labour government putting its full weight behind the yes campaign and the no campaign having no real structure or finance the result was 50.3% for an assembley..49.7% against.....which means only 25.2% of eligible voters actually voted for it..

railroaded....
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 pm

captbirdseye wrote:
dogfound wrote:
captbirdseye wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:The issue is that as a country we are not unified in a love of the giant burocractic monster called the European Union. We may like being friends and working together but in my experience most people don't like the formal union.
That's what came out in the referendum. Problem is most of the politicians are so firmly entrenched in wanting that monster. Gives them more places to go when national politics gets boring and means they can defer blame easily when they cock up. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep us in Hence the poor excuse of a fudge we have now.

Or maybe it can't actually be delivered because it's all a pipe dream by Boris and all the back bench political charlatans.

Everything we do in daily life and all the supply chains are so deeply in trenches in EU law that picking them apart will hugely affect jobs and the economic safety of the UK.

But hey, sovereignty and all that archaic nationalist bullshit are much more important than people's lively hoods.

scaremongering......in my life time Germany has been re united....czechoslovakia has become 2 countries....the USSR became god knows how many , a war in Yugoslavia resulting in how many new states....plus more countries gaining independence than you can shake a stick at.....yet us leaving the EU is impossible..
its not

More massive self harm than impossible which is all based on some miss guided idea of nationalism.

People expecting a decent deal to be done in 2 years with 40 years worth of EU legislation, now that's impsossible. But hey, Rees and his cronies will blame the evil EU now so it all plays into their hands.

I don't believe for one minute people saying these things actually believe them...how did ALL those countries ive mentioned and eluded to do it..magic?..
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 pm

lisvaneblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
moonboots wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Yes, gross impertinence to want to be in charge of your own destiny.

I'd rather scrap Westminster. A right load of totally incompetent idiots....as we are now seeing.

Westminster aint great...but seriously what on earth is the WA about...there was no ground swell of demand for it..74% did not vote for it. and since its been there its just been an expensive mistake nobody cares about..

As they say ...that's democracy
Remember that our own Welsh Assembly Government was formed by a referendum with a 50% turnout and a margin for it of only 0.6%...Yes 0.6%
But we go with it because that's democracy

A 2% margin to leave the EU, (much larger than that in Wales where I think it was 6%,) and we find it a hard pill to swallow and complain like hell

the assembly vote was about as undemocratic as is possible..
dogfound

Postby captbirdseye » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 pm

dogfound wrote:
captbirdseye wrote:
dogfound wrote:
captbirdseye wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:The issue is that as a country we are not unified in a love of the giant burocractic monster called the European Union. We may like being friends and working together but in my experience most people don't like the formal union.
That's what came out in the referendum. Problem is most of the politicians are so firmly entrenched in wanting that monster. Gives them more places to go when national politics gets boring and means they can defer blame easily when they cock up. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep us in Hence the poor excuse of a fudge we have now.

Or maybe it can't actually be delivered because it's all a pipe dream by Boris and all the back bench political charlatans.

Everything we do in daily life and all the supply chains are so deeply in trenches in EU law that picking them apart will hugely affect jobs and the economic safety of the UK.

But hey, sovereignty and all that archaic nationalist bullshit are much more important than people's lively hoods.

scaremongering......in my life time Germany has been re united....czechoslovakia has become 2 countries....the USSR became god knows how many , a war in Yugoslavia resulting in how many new states....plus more countries gaining independence than you can shake a stick at.....yet us leaving the EU is impossible..
its not

More massive self harm than impossible which is all based on some miss guided idea of nationalism.

People expecting a decent deal to be done in 2 years with 40 years worth of EU legislation, now that's impsossible. But hey, Rees and his cronies will blame the evil EU now so it all plays into their hands.

I don't believe for one minute people saying these things actually believe them...how did ALL those countries ive mentioned and eluded to do it..magic?..

Believe what? That this is the biggest waste of public money in my lifetime, yes.

We've been sold down the river by a bunch of Tory back benches that are only interested in lining their pockets and their own political careers.

Those countries actually wanted that stuff to happen. We've got a nation that is literally split down the middle. It's never going to work.
captbirdseye

Postby Lengee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 pm

dogfound wrote:

its not

This is a very good argument FOR the EU. The bonds within the EU have held and helped maintain peace. The country within the EU is Germany and it was reunited without bloodshed. The Yugoslav wars (not war) were outside the EU and sadly cost the lives of about 140000 people!
The lack of effective response / action by the UN (and to some extent the EU) to the Yugoslav wars is a related but separate question. Indeed, there is/was a lot that needed improving within the EU.The EU needed improving from within ....rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
I think it unwise to untie friendly ties between nations. Silver tongued Charletons feed off ancient grievances between nations and make them rhyme with nationalism and desired for conquest.

However, my opening thread was merely commenting on the unholy mess made of post BREXIT negotiations by the Tories. And that after starting the referendum when the public were not asking for it. Whatever your politics, that is patently clear and obvious :bluebird: :thumbup:
Lengee

Postby dogfound » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 am

Lengee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

its not

This is a very good argument FOR the EU. The bonds within the EU have held and helped maintain peace. The country within the EU is Germany and it was reunited without bloodshed. The Yugoslav wars (not war) were outside the EU and sadly cost the lives of about 140000 people!
The lack of effective response / action by the UN (and to some extent the EU) to the Yugoslav wars is a related but separate question. Indeed, there is/was a lot that needed improving within the EU.The EU needed improving from within ....rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
I think it unwise to untie friendly ties between nations. Silver tongued Charletons feed off ancient grievances between nations and make them rhyme with nationalism and desired for conquest.

However, my opening thread was merely commenting on the unholy mess made of post BREXIT negotiations by the Tories. And that after starting the referendum when the public were not asking for it. Whatever your politics, that is patently clear and obvious :bluebird: :thumbup:

there is,was and has been for quite some time a growing appetite among more than just a fringe to not be in the EU so not sure about the public not wanting it...and those thoughts are cross party
as for the negotiations...they are 100% a unholy mess..but seriously , you think if another party was faced with the same it wouldnt have splits and resignations amongst the thousand and one obstacles..to just keep saying tories on this issue is just plain wrong...

i did not vote because i did not know what was best ,there was and is no clear evidence to support how much better or worse off we will be short or long term ,just opinions, guesses and misinformation with conflicting obvious lies and exagerations from either side..
i did though think out meant out . and do believe that democracy should mean more than this.

have to say the irony in your remain /anti tory post is that the big guns in the tory party are those that fought hardest to remain.
dogfound

Postby welshrarebit » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:04 am

So why do we have to be unable large burocractic political union, headed by non elected persons in the form of junker and tusk just to be friends with our neighbours. Can't we just ... Be friends? I don't know anyone that has knucle dragging nationalistic views for wanting to leave. That's just a line trotted out by people sneering at others with a different view. People I know that voted to leave... Myself included. Did so to extricate ourselves from what we believe to be an overbearing group that pays lipservice to democracy. Just look at what they want to do to the internet with link taxes etc to see what they are prepared to push through. I'm all for being friends. I'm all for cooperation and I'm all for visa free travel, different cultures enriching our society. I just don't see why we can't plot our own course through the world to engage with all rather than bit by bit being increasingly managed by burocrats in Brussels. Interesting point about Westminster. If we were to keep pushing down the EU integration line then id have to ask what the point of it was. Because they seem content to keep handing more and more sovereignty over to them.

Fwiw I respect that some people think we would be better in. I've tried to understand their view. I just don't agree with them. We want the same thing. The country to do well. We just have a different view on how to get there. Rather than patronising us or accusing us of not know what we voted for. Or any other insult. Maybe try looking at the situation through our eyes. Understand what we believe and discuss rather than name call.
welshrarebit

Postby welshrarebit » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 am

That's a good point about the conservatives wanting to remain.

Cameron. Osborne. Clarke. Soubry. May. Hammond. Basically anyone you have heard of wanted to remain. Boris and gove were the main leavers but how many had heard of Rees mogg before all this? I hadn't.

In labour they had more than a few prominent leavers. Hooey, field, Gisela Stewart to name a few. Corbyn has historically been very Eurosceptic. He has never really formally declared his position since the referendum was announced. But you don't hear him championing the staying in option. He wants a general election not another referendum.
Being a remainer or a leaver transcends party politics.
welshrarebit

Postby AfricanBluebird » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:59 am

Surely most people now see that the referendum was premature and that a 5 year delay while we opened discussions with the EU and did extensive research would have been better. Then at least we could have gone to the polls with a better understanding of what Brexit would look like with short, medium and long term pros and cons laid out as well as they could have been.

Cameron was naive and stupid, the leave campaign was corrupt and misled the people with lies and mistruths and the remain campaign was absolutely useless! The Tories were already damaging this country through austerity measures that will cost us all more money in the long run as we pick up the pieces of cutting investment into preventative health and social care and have shown no leadership, while the Labour party leadership is an absolute disgrace and cannot be trusted.

All in all a complete shambles.

As a nation we will recover but in all honesty we need to prepare for quite a long time of uncertainty.
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 am

As much as I dislike May she's been handed (or willingly taken on) the shittest political job in history!
AfricanBluebird

Postby thomasblue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:00 am

When this started they should have put a team together including the best political, financial , buisness and law people in the country with a person at the head of it who is known to be a hard negotiator ( like donald trump ).

Everyone seems to be asking the question what deal can we get from the EU ?

We should have been saying what deal should we give them.

Like the old saying We gave them a inch and they took a mile.
thomasblue

Postby Hopski » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am

I voted leave but politicians have made a complete mess of it and I would welcome a second vote now.

Also I'm so disappointed with the calibre of MP's on both sides of the house that when we leave they would be incapable of leading us forward into the big wide world. I'm not afraid of an initial downturn and hardship before we become a trading powerhouse again but look who we could have leading us. May. Boris, Mogg, Corbyn, Abbott. Enough said.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Hopski

Postby T1JMO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am

Lengee wrote:Tories set up a BREXIT referendum to sort out splits in their party.

They get an OUT VOTE against what their leaders wanted.

The Prime Minister and key members of his government resign.

A messy leadership battle results in May becoming leader.

They continue to in fight for a couple of years and snipe behind her back..Along the way various members of the Cabinet leaving. Like rats leaving a sinking ship! Many concerned with trying to become leader more than uninterested of the country.

Now the second Credit Secretary resigns on the very day the OUT deal is being presented. We will have right wing dangerous Tories sniffing a chance of leadership.

What an utter shambolic mess. :shock: :shock:

The question isn't "are we leaving the EU?"... because we are - that is set in stone.

There is however 2 options, take Theresa May's deal and pay the huge divorce bill or walk away and pay nothing.

I know which I'd choose...
T1JMO

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:29 am

Bananas wrote:Stupid Welsh voters voting for English political parties and stupid so called 'Brexit' Wales needs to be independent as part of a strong Europe, not part of the stupid English system and it's sponging so called 'royals'

Roll on Independence for our great country Wales. :ayatollah: Its not if, it's when :old: :thumbup:

Is that a strong Europe which will be dominated by the Far Right? There is already FR Governments in Hungary and Austria with Germany's AfD rising fast as is Le Pen's National Rally in France. Also Poland, Italy, Spain, Sweden and Denmark are seeing their FR rise in popularity as well as Euro scepticism.

It is often levelled that those who want BREXIT are Xenophobic and Racist but it is becoming obvious that BREXIT voters are those who want to SAVE this country from the influence of the far right.

I want an independent Wales but I want it to have nothing to do with the EU.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 am

T1JMO wrote:
The question isn't "are we leaving the EU?"... because we are - that is set in stone.

There is however 2 options, take Theresa May's deal and pay the huge divorce bill or walk away and pay nothing.

I know which I'd choose...

What TM has given us is a deal covering the withdrawal agreement of the UK it is not a Trade Deal which has yet to be negotiated.

The UK leaving is not set in stone. There is a transitional period lasting until December 2020 where in theory the Trade Deal should be negotiated and implemented by New Year's Day 2021.

However, if a Trade Agreement cannot be agreed (Northern Ireland is bound to comeback and haunt that) then we transfer to a 'backstop' where the EU basically has the final say on whether we leave or not. Considering during all of this period the UK will be still paying billions into the EU coffers just what incentive has the EU got to come to an agreement when they can Conveniently use N Ireland as a reason to keep us in the backstop?

TM will be long gone by then but as someone who campaigned for remain during the referendum she would have finally got what she always wanted.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am

Hopski wrote:I voted leave but politicians have made a complete mess of it and I would welcome a second vote now.

Also I'm so disappointed with the calibre of MP's on both sides of the house that when we leave they would be incapable of leading us forward into the big wide world. I'm not afraid of an initial downturn and hardship before we become a trading powerhouse again but look who we could have leading us. May. Boris, Mogg, Corbyn, Abbott. Enough said.

And that is exactly the trap the EU planted the moment the UK voted for something they didn't want. What this country needs now is some backbone to stand up to the EU.

A no deal will be disruptive but will pass within a few months. That short pain is worth it to rid ourselves of the undemocratic dictatorial institution which calls itself the European Union,
Tony Blue Williams

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm

If anyone wants to know what an independent Wales would look like, go to Albania. We are bankrolled by England to a hefty degree, and would quickly become a basket case without that money.
rumpo kid

Postby captbirdseye » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Hopski wrote:I voted leave but politicians have made a complete mess of it and I would welcome a second vote now.

And that is exactly the trap the EU planted the moment the UK voted for something they didn't want. What this country needs now is some backbone to stand up to the EU.

A no deal will be disruptive but will pass within a few months. That short pain is worth it to rid ourselves of the undemocratic dictatorial institution which calls itself the European Union,

You do realise the consequences of a no deal? Transferring us to WTO rules with 40% tariff on exports, disruption in imports food and medicines. This wouldn't just pass in a few months and a lot of business sectors would have to end being subsidised by UK government to avoid them going under. Take Fishing, you whack a 40% tariff on that sector and it would probably die in few weeks without government intervention because the majority of fish is exported.This is the same for sheep farming which again would crash within days of a no deal with government help. Sometimes I wonder if people understand the real consequences of a no deal.
captbirdseye

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Bananas wrote:Stupid Welsh voters voting for English political parties and stupid so called 'Brexit' Wales needs to be independent as part of a strong Europe, not part of the stupid English system and it's sponging so called 'royals'

Roll on Independence for our great country Wales. :ayatollah: Its not if, it's when :old: :thumbup:

You do know that it's never been a country as such, do you ?
Obviously it's not feasible as an independent country for all sorts of reasons and I don't think even Plaid Cymru are suggesting that are they ?
The reality of all this is that you and anyone who talks such nonsense are the victims of identity politics machinations in the smoke filled rooms of those English political parties you speak of. They find it helpful to get as many different groups at each other's throats as possible, you see.
Don't think there's much chance of becoming a German colony as you seem to want to either. They've got enough economic basket cases to feed already and I don't think they'd be interested in picking up the bits of Britain which don't make money.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Lengee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm

rumpo kid wrote:If anyone wants to know what an independent Wales would look like, go to Albania. We are bankrolled by England to a hefty degree, and would quickly become a basket case without that money.

This is just as silly as someone pro Independent Wales saying we would be like Switzerland Ireland or Slovenia etc who are among the most prosperous nations in the world. As it happens I think the UK "works" reasonably well. But I believe Wales is a nation within it. I am proud to be Welsh and a Welshman. Unfortunately there are a large number of English people in Wales who think of Wales as part of England. Some (unfortunately) appear to be in this forum :shock: the
If Scotland were to gain independence I would strongly support Wales being independant.
BUT my original point was and concerns the bloody mess the Tories have made. Now we have the Michael Gove refusing the job of Brexit negotiator but staying in post. Is this because he is at heart a loyal and steadfast supporter of TM and putting the country first :?: Or is he thinking this is the best option in terms of clambering up the slippery pole and, as such, he is just an opportunistic hypocritical creep :?:
You decide! :bluebird:
Lengee

Postby glas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:17 pm

captbirdseye wrote:

You do realise the consequences of a no deal? Transferring us to WTO rules with 40% tariff on exports, disruption in imports food and medicines. This wouldn't just pass in a few months and a lot of business sectors would have to end being subsidised by UK government to avoid them going under. Take Fishing, you whack a 40% tariff on that sector and it would probably die in few weeks without government intervention because the majority of fish is exported.This is the same for sheep farming which again would crash within days of a no deal with government help. Sometimes I wonder if people understand the real consequences of a no deal.

Spoken like a true civil servant. No clue how business, trade or deals are accomplished in the real world, outside of the heavily subsidised and protected public service institutes.
glas

Postby Sven » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm

100% agree :thumbup:

A 'no deal' scenario will pass just as unobtrusively as the original (surprise to the politician class only) 'no' did

Voted 'Brexit' and my stance hasn't changed. Indeed, it's solidified in the face of some sinister (but clever) EU tactics
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby powysblue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm

dogfound wrote:
moonboots wrote:

You are spot on dogfound. WA is just a Jobs for the boys and girls talking shop. In fact a dangerous talking shop and from April 2019 will also have a hold over our income tax. Most knew when it was narrowly voted for, that it's creation would open a "can of worms" (as with all devolved Countries of the UK). That is besides the Cost of all those buildings,offices, salaries,mistakes - basically as with the EU - GRAVY TRAIN - yeaa lap it up !!!!

The Welsh office in Cardiff used to do the same job with a few Hundred employees and I may add do a far better job.

As for the Brexit farce - Britain Voted to leave the EU not be tied to it forever - leave means leave as far as I am concerned but no doubt the politicians will save their own skins and keep on drinking up the gravy.
powysblue

Postby captbirdseye » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 pm

glas wrote:
captbirdseye wrote:

Spoken like a true civil servant. No clue how business, trade or deals are accomplished in the real world, outside of the heavily subsidised and protected public service institutes.

Lol, I work in that area so yes, I do have clue how these things work and spelt out the consequences of a no deal that would be catastrophic for those particular industries. People seem to think that it will just be a rocky patch but in actual fact it will be much worse that and cause major disruption to every part of our lives. Why do you think no politician wants to go down the no deal route? I do some sometimes wonder whether people just Bury their heads in the sand.
captbirdseye

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm

you’ll also know that tariffs work both ways...being in the Civil Service.
rumpo kid

Postby captbirdseye » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:47 pm

rumpo kid wrote:you’ll also know that tariffs work both ways...being in the Civil Service.

So let's just tariff everyone else then. Its worked well in the US.
captbirdseye

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm

https://youtu.be/A-yZNMWFqvM

Pity I can't post video in the message box but it's worth a click since it encapsulates the situation
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Jock » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:
noisycat wrote:Why do we have to pay £39 billion to leave? For once I agree with Trump, tell them to f..k off or even sue THEM.

We are legally obliged to due to a financial commitment to collaborative projects.

No we’re not, it’s a goodwill payment.
Jock

Postby Jock » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:58 pm

captbirdseye wrote:

There will be no 40% Tariff on any of our exports, that’s just a blatant lie. Highest tariff is 35% on dairy, non agricultural goods its 2.6 metals 2% and some things are actually zero rated. Fish is 12% so take your Remainiac bollox and ram it.
Jock

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat