Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone Remember Bristol City away 1970's

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I went to this game on a Tuesday evening,League Cup game think we lost 1-2,but after the game there was mayhem,cars turned over,windows smashed etc.
The Police blocked a street and trapped every City fan who was there,i was caught up with another 130 City fans arrested that night for doing no more than just being there on the night.
We were all locked up in a cell overnight singing "Please release me let me go " through the bars of the police cells,at the time it was a British record for the number of fans arrested.
I remember the Echo screaming the headlines of so many City fans arrested that night but can't find anything today on it

Re: Anyone Remember Bristol City away 1970's

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm

was a week or 2 before United visited....which stoked the fire so to speak..

I think a lot of the main stream media carried the story due to it being a record..

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am

Bristol plod was always hostile to us wasnt a surprise it happened, always caught the train to Ashton station just 5 min walk to ground never any problems! When that closed needed to walk from temple meads stn that was a pain in arse!! Stopped going after that to much aggro from pc plod and F troop (remember them).... :roll:

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Bristol thought it clever to chant "Aberfan" which personally I think is the most vile chant ever heard at a football ground, City had every right to go mad that night and for me it's always been Bristol City as our number one enemy and not Swansea. Sadly both Cardiff and Man United were guilty of sick chants a fortnight later, thankfully this would never be tolerated at grounds these days. Banter is one thing but the 3 clubs crossed the line in !974.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Bristol thought it clever to chant "Aberfan" which personally I think is the most vile chant ever heard at a football ground, City had every right to go mad that night and for me it's always been Bristol City as our number one enemy and not Swansea. Sadly both Cardiff and Man United were guilty of sick chants a fortnight later, thankfully this would never be tolerated at grounds these days. Banter is one thing but the 3 clubs crossed the line in !974.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:15 am

banana bob wrote:Bristol thought it clever to chant "Aberfan" which personally I think is the most vile chant ever heard at a football ground, City had every right to go mad that night and for me it's always been Bristol City as our number one enemy and not Swansea. Sadly both Cardiff and Man United were guilty of sick chants a fortnight later, thankfully this would never be tolerated at grounds these days. Banter is one thing but the 3 clubs crossed the line in !974.

the Munich chant at NP was in response to United copying Bristols well publicised Aberfan chant...
for me the worse thing was that United had a big welsh following that day who seemed quite happy to go along with it.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:16 pm

dogfound wrote:
banana bob wrote:Bristol thought it clever to chant "Aberfan" which personally I think is the most vile chant ever heard at a football ground, City had every right to go mad that night and for me it's always been Bristol City as our number one enemy and not Swansea. Sadly both Cardiff and Man United were guilty of sick chants a fortnight later, thankfully this would never be tolerated at grounds these days. Banter is one thing but the 3 clubs crossed the line in !974.

the Munich chant at NP was in response to United copying Bristols well publicised Aberfan chant...
for me the worse thing was that United had a big welsh following that day who seemed quite happy to go along with it.

I was in school at the time and couldn't believe how many stood with United on the bob bank that day. The Aberfan chant was chanted quite a few times that day and to this day the two clubs I always hope get beat are Man U and Bristol City, how the hell anyone didn't get charged for chanting that beats me.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Remember going the year after and they had two tanks parked outside the east end the army were recruiting. 0 :laughing5: