Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ The Aron Gunnarsson question “

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:11 pm

The Aron Gunnarsson question, Everton's concerns and a key Premier League meeting: things for Cardiff City fans to look out for.

Wednesday 14th November 2018

By Tom Coleman

Cardiff City go into their next Premier League fixture against Everton on the back of a morale-boosting win over Brighton.

Despite beating the Seagulls, Neil Warnock's men remain in the relegation zone over the international break, although they are just one point behind 14th placed Newcastle ahead of the clash with Marco Silva's side.

Warnock will continue to work with those who are not away on international duty at the club's Vale Resort training base over the next 10 days or so ahead of the trip to Merseyside.

Can Aron Gunnarsson return to South Wales unscathed?

After missing more than two months of the campaign through injury, Gunnarsson has once again shown his class since returning to the first team fold.

It's no coincidence that their only two wins of the season so far against Fulham and Brighton have come when the 29-year-old has been in the side and at his best.

But Warnock will once again be keeping his fingers crossed as Gunnarsson links up with Iceland over the international break.

The Euro 2016 quarter-finalists take on Belgium in the Nations League on Thursday before facing Qatar four days later.

And given Gunnarsson's struggles with injury during Warnock's tenure at Cardiff, you could forgive the Bluebirds' boss for wanting to wrap up the central midfielder in cotton wool.

Warnock didn't appear to have the best of relationships with Iceland's former boss Heimir Hallgrímsson, but he will hope to strike the right chord with their current manager Erik Hamren this week and in the future, with Gunnarsson again available for his country.

NEIL WARNOCK;

"I’ve told Gunnar how important Everton is, he doesn’t train with us everyday anyway," said Warnock before the Brighton game.

Here's hoping Gunnarsson can be fit and firing for when the Bluebirds take on the Toffees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ The Aron Gunnarsson question “

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Obviously hoping he plays well and more importantly comes back fit. As I said before he's been a revelation. Played alot better than I thought he would. Always liked Gunnar hope he keeps up the good form. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Obviously hoping he plays well and more importantly comes back fit. As I said before he's been a revelation. Played alot better than I thought he would. Always liked Gunnar hope he keeps up the good form. :ayatollah:

With you on this, always liked his character and always had a good relationship with the whole squad while committing here for quite a long time now and his wife seems to really have a feel for Cardiff as she comes to a lot of the games.. always felt past few seasons he really never added much in the centre of midfield and always seemed to give needless fouls away and always get caught out of position

But since he came back for the Fulham game he has been nothing short of brilliant and I think like Ralls in the Newcastle game playing alongside people like Arter and Camarasa they have had a massive influence because he looks a different player and much more confident on the ball making more driving runs and adding the pace and passing to our attacks. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 pm

What a turn around.Three months ago not many gave a shit but against Brighton showed what we've been missing.On the plus side game time for his country will get him closer to full match fitness.Obvious down side is injury because seemingly we can't replace what he brings to the side.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Mr Cardiff City ....'nuff said! :thumbup: