Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' The player most had never heard of before last week '

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 am

Introducing James Lawrence - the Wales football player you’d never heard of until last week

By Ian Mitchelmore

Wednesday 14th November 2018

James Lawrence talks about his call up for Wales

The inclusion of James Lawrence in Ryan Giggs' latest Wales squad had virtually every football fan in the country frantically searching Google.

The Oxfordshire-born defender was a surprise inclusion in the squad for the matches against Denmark and Albania, and to say he was an unknown quantity to the majority of Welsh supporters would be something of an understatement.

The path to the national side has certainly been an unusual one for Lawrence, who moved from England to Holland as a teenager before going on to play in Slovakia and now Belgium.

But it's the latest destination on his ever expanding journey that holds the key to what could well make him more than a household name in Wales.

Because the 26-year-old could earn his first international cap within a week of visiting the country for the first ever time, and it's all thanks to a lady named Jill Irwin.

She is the grandmother of Lawrence and was born in Pembrokeshire, thus making the defender eligible to play for the Red Dragons.

"I think she was born in Haverfordwest and her family goes back generations there," said Lawrence.

"She’s coming up to Cardiff on Friday to see the game, to see me again. I think she’s looking forward to coming back for sure.

"I’ll have to have a word with her about a future trip.

"I think my whole family is going to be coming up. It’s a huge deal and they’re all very proud.

"I haven’t spoken to her yet but I’ve had the Welsh anthem on and things like that. I’m starting to learn and hopefully I’ll do that."

And on his first visit to the country he looks set to represent in the near future, Lawrence said: "I can’t say it’s too different from everywhere else that I’ve been.

"I’ve been to a lot of countries and had to adjust to new things so this is another step for me. It’s been really good so far with the training camp and meeting up with all the players."

While most on the western side of the Severn Bridge were left stunned by the inclusion of Lawrence in the squad for Wales' games against Denmark and Albania, the call-up wasn't a total surprise to the man himself.

Lawrence's family have more than played their part in getting the versatile defender - now at Belgian side Anderlecht - into the Wales set-up for the very first time.

And the new man on the block certainly has those dearest to him to thank for him coming into the Wales reckoning.

"My dad got in touch with the Football Association of Wales and he said, ‘he’s eligible to play for Wales so why don’t you have a look at him?’," he added.

"I think playing for a high-profile club like Anderlecht, that obviously helped playing regular football there and with the scouting.

"They came and watched me this season and some games last season. That’s how it came about and they decided I was someone worth calling up.

"I understand that not a lot of people knew who I was and everyone wants to hear that story. I mean it’s a very different story to what everyone is used to."

It's been some journey for Lawrence, who once played alongside Harry Kane during the England and Tottenham striker's time in Arsenal's academy.

He was also in the youth set-up at Ajax alongside Kane's Spurs team mate Christian Eriksen, the man whose brace earned Denmark a 2-0 win over Wales in the reverse fixture between the sides in September.

His moves could be described as somewhat obscure. And with that has come a change in styles and cultures.

However, adapting - either on or off the pitch - is something that comes naturally to the defender, a fluent Dutch speaker and a French language learner.

And it seems that while he possesses the most intriguing of back stories, it's the qualities developed from his remarkable journey so far that have shaped Lawrence into the man and the player that Giggs feels deserves a shot at representing Wales.

"When I first got here we had a long chat on who I was and my personality," he added.

"He wanted to get to know me as a person. He wanted to see what I was all about. It was relaxed he said I want you to get out there and show us what you’ve got.

"One of the first things he said to me is that you suit the style that I want to play. Playing out from the back, having good footballing centre-backs is what he wants to do.

"I’ve learned a lot from my time abroad; very different styles of football and different mentalities as well."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' The player most had never heard of before last week '

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am

Nice story hope it works out for him and Wales
annis I really have believed over the years there have been some gems missed out on in Pembrokeshire as we are too far from South Wales populated areas a lesson going forward perhaps :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Giggs or a member of his team have certainly done some research

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Nice story hope it works out for him and Wales
annis I really have believed over the years there have been some gems missed out on in Pembrokeshire as we are too far from South Wales populated areas a lesson going forward perhaps :bluescarf:

He’s not from Pembroke he’s from Oxfordshire.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

Did not say he was from Pembroke mate just making the point PEMBROKESHIRE covers a very large area Pembroke Milford haven Haverfordwest st davids etc etc and gets overlooked by scouts :roll:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Did not say he was from Pembroke mate just making the point PEMBROKESHIRE covers a very large area Pembroke Milford haven Haverfordwest st davids etc etc and gets overlooked by scouts :roll:

I think you would have to be a child monk not leaving Caldy to be completely missed these days...kids play for their local clubs and schools and its not long before opponents pick up on who the better players are and talk...its not a secret society...the better kids progress to play for the local schoolboy teams { area team } that play other schoolboy sides across the country..or/as well as get picked for league representative sides who play against other leagues..as well as in your area will prob play in the west wales cup from the age of 12 onwards against teams from leagues across west wales Swansea lge/.carms lge/ neath lge/pembs lge...then there are development centres { a rung below academy } run by ourselves and Swansea plus academies run by all welsh prem clubs and many LOW clubs...and on top of this our academy now has more boys than ever before.....you wont often see a scout at a cat C { pembs lge games } game any more because their time is better spent watching cat B {representative games } where the level of opponent will more often than not be superior to watching billy whizz running rings around maybe some kid who is useless..