Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Extra £150,000 for Madeleine McCann Investigation

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Austerity - what austerity?

The Home Office will provide an extra £150,000 for the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, say Sky sources.

Funding for the investigation - dubbed Operation Grange - ran out at the end of September, prompting London's Metropolitan Police to apply for resources to extend it until March 2019.

"We have confirmed that Special Grant funding of £150,000 will be provided to the Metropolitan Police Service for the six-month period to 31 March 2019," a Home Office spokesperson said.

Police bosses have been applying for money to continue inquiries every six months, and the Home Office says it "maintains an ongoing dialogue with the MPS" over funding.

The investigation has cost £11.75m so far.

Madeleine was three when she disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in Portugal while her parents dined with friends in May 2007.

In 2013, with the Portuguese police appearing to have made little progress, the Met began its own investigation with Operation Grange.

The investigation has explored numerous theories about her disappearance, including that Madeleine was abducted, wandered away from her room alone, or died in the apartment.

Madeleine's parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, have been vocal public advocates in the search for their daughter, using social media and television appearances to plead for support in their mission to find the missing girl.

In May, they marked the 11th anniversary of their daughter's disappearance with a post on Facebook and the Find Madeleine website, thanking supporters for their "persisting solidarity".

"Life is full and busy which helps but Madeleine is still missing and she is still dearly missed," they wrote.

"Information continues to come in (incredible as it may seem after so long, although we are grateful for that) and work goes on. Perseverance and hope remain."

https://news.sky.com/story/madeleine-mc ... n-11553455

Re: Extra £150,000 for Madeleine McCann Investigation

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Unbelievable

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Unbelievable

Not unbelievable in the slightest. Totally wrong maybe.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm

I sincerely hope that one day she is found safe and unharmed

However, this case has baffled me since day 1..complete incompetence from everyone investigating her disappearance

I’m still not sure whether the parents are somehow involved or not and at the very least should never have left their daughter alone

As time goes on it gets more and more unlikely that we will ever know the truth of what happened to Madeline

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Utter waste of money

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 pm

I'd welcome it if I were the parents.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Wolfpac wrote:The father is a paedo and had close ties with Blair, says it all, they drugged her to death maybe an accident but they had it covered up well and benefited from it, hope one day they’re found out and slaughtered to the hills

sorted.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Wolfpac wrote:The father is a paedo and had close ties with Blair, says it all, they drugged her to death maybe an accident but they had it covered up well and benefited from it, hope one day they’re found out and slaughtered to the hills

If you share this with the police it'll save £150000.

Oh and every Prem club giving £250k for Scudamore retirement fund

World gone mad

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Obscene.... any normal mother and father would have been charged with neglect...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Be careful what you say on here. Sky News are willing to pay for a team of stalkers to harass you and doorstep you until you crumble.

R.I.P Brenda Leyland
https://youtu.be/w3P7wUbipRg

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:38 pm

where is she Gerry

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6NWVBc94hN8

Bit long winded and narrator may have an agenda but the facts are the facts.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 am

BrightBlueFuture wrote:Be careful what you say on here. Sky News are willing to pay for a team of stalkers to harass you and doorstep you until you crumble.

R.I.P Brenda Leyland

What, you mean Martin Brunt, who was secretly recorded by the Spanish Intelligence Service speaking to Murat and other concerned parties in the few days BEFORE the alleged addiction was reported ?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I sincerely hope that one day she is found safe and unharmed

However, this case has baffled me since day 1..complete incompetence from everyone investigating her disappearance

I’m still not sure whether the parents are somehow involved or not and at the very least should never have left their daughter alone

As time goes on it gets more and more unlikely that we will ever know the truth of what happened to Madeline

I'm pretty sure I know whether the parents are involved or not. I don't think that the Portuguese police were inefficient - quite the opposite actually - it's just that they quickly came to a conclusion which some influencial people didn't like.

You're probably right that no one will ever know what they did with her though.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
BrightBlueFuture wrote:Be careful what you say on here. Sky News are willing to pay for a team of stalkers to harass you and doorstep you until you crumble.

R.I.P Brenda Leyland

What, you mean Martin Brunt, who was secretly recorded by the Spanish Intelligence Service speaking to Murat and other concerned parties in the few days BEFORE the alleged addiction was reported ?

I think the vast majority on here know you MEANT abduction not addiction so therefore read it as that { its how the brain works }.

but im pointing it out for those with sub standard brains who can not do that ,normally the spell check super thicko brigade who use up every last brain cell ensuring the spelling of words is correct but don't always know the meanings .

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 am

Gerry worked for Celtic....the Paedophile Club.....just saying ;)

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 am

Jock wrote:Gerry worked for Celtic....the Paedophile Club.....just saying ;)

just saying what exactly?

Edit - i have no doubt the parents are complicit though i guess we will never know for sure, but buying into additional conspiracy theories doesnt help.

What helps separate this from other "Conspiracy theories" is that there is a lot of factual information out there, no need to delve into loosely based ideas

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 am

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

R.I.P Brenda Leyland

I think the vast majority on here know you MEANT abduction not addiction so therefore read it as that { its how the brain works }.

but im pointing it out for those with sub standard brains who can not do that ,normally the spell check super thicko brigade who use up every last brain cell ensuring the spelling of words is correct but don't always know the meanings .

Yeah, thank you . I didn't notice it, but I've noticed that the predictive text / spellcheck or whatever it is had reached a new level where it changes words of its own volition , not just because they're spelled wrong. It happens all the time and I usually notice it, but obviously not on this occasion.
Never had that trouble with a typewriter.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:07 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Edit - i have no doubt the parents are complicit though i guess we will never know for sure, but buying into additional conspiracy theories doesnt help.

What helps separate this from other "Conspiracy theories" is that there is a lot of factual information out there, no need to delve into loosely based ideas

You don't think it's worth looking for conspiracies when investigating serious crimes ?
I wish you'd explain that post a bit actually, because I'm unsure which 'conspiracy theories' you're talking about.
If you accept that someone in government in the UK obstructed the Portuguese enquiry and used intelligence rescources to exculpate the McCanns, would you not wonder why and look for connections between them and the particular politicians who intervened ?

What do you think is 'factual information' as opposed to 'conspiracy theory ' here ? Could anyone have successfully committed this crime and got away with it without help ? If so, how, and if not then they've obviously conspired with someone haven't they?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am

it's not a bad gig, investigating a crime where the main suspects are already known. Trips around the continent, printing out shady types of men in black and white posters in order to prove your worth, playing a bit of pool, then a dash to the swimming pool.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:58 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Not a conspiracy theory more a lot of coincidences theory, Celtic covered up a Paedophile ring for decades, Jimmy Saville was photographed in a Celtic top with Cardinal O’Brien (who sexually assaulted young Catholic Preists) and Celtic officials, allegations have been made suggesting the McCanns were Paedos, Gerry was Celtics Doctor for a while.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 am

Jock wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Not a conspiracy theory more a lot of coincidences theory, Celtic covered up a Paedophile ring for decades, Jimmy Saville was photographed in a Celtic top with Cardinal O’Brien (who sexually assaulted young Catholic Preists) and Celtic officials, allegations have been made suggesting the McCanns were Paedos, Gerry was Celtics Doctor for a while.

its much easier to come to the conclusion that they had something to do with her murder/death/disappearance than some thinly veiled coincidences that point to him being a peado. also i think trying to create these stories actually takes away from the real one.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 am

I just don't see that anyone is ever going to be prosecuted .

the McCanns should have been if only for locking their kids in an apartment and f*cking off on a jolly .but that ship sailed years ago.....must be very thick skinned to do all those interviews knowing the majority if not all those watching are thinking...I would never have left my kids in the first place...

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:04 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Jock wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

its much easier to come to the conclusion that they had something to do with her murder/death/disappearance than some thinly veiled coincidences that point to him being a peado. also i think trying to create these stories actually takes away from the real one.

But it's most important you see. I think anyone who's looked at the case ,( and this includes both Portuguese and [privately] British detectives), will tell you that there's been a powerful political hand at work from within the British state to protect the McCanns. Now, if this is the case , well then surely you've got to ask why that might be.
What has been implied there by Jock is one very plausible possibility, actually going far beyond what he had briefly noted here and connecting with events prior to and following Dunblane.
There are other possibilities of course, but I don't see how we can ignore the possible motives for a cover up, since it seems pretty unavoidable that's there has been one.

It's all very well to come to your conclusion and indeed the Portuguese police did that quite quickly, but that's not the problem with the case. The thing which hangs in the air is the question of why the evidence was not followed in the usual way and to the usual conclusion , and indeed why it seems that it still isn't being. Therefore it's perfectly logical to investigate the background to try to identify what exactly is causing the obstruction here.

It comes down to move surely ? Not just the motive for the crime itself, but the motive to cover it up if that is what has happened .

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:32 pm

This is well dodgy from the start.

How we can justify this amount of money being paid out for one investigation of a matter that didn't even occur in UK jurisdiction is frankly beyond me :shock:

Yet, despite all of that investment, on top of what the Portuguese have forked out, we are no nearer finding the truth or whereabouts of the child.

I have firmly been of the opinion that if this was a child from a poor, council estate family the parents would have been prosecuted for neglect purely for the fact that they left the kids unattended whilst they went for a drink. It doesn't matter that the bar was on the complex, any parent will tell you that an accident (never mind an abduction) could happen with toddlers in seconds :x

I really hope the truth does come out at some point but I'm not holding my breathe.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm

piledriver64 wrote:This is well dodgy from the start.

How we can justify this amount of money being paid out for one investigation of a matter that didn't even occur in UK jurisdiction is frankly beyond me :shock:

Yet, despite all of that investment, on top of what the Portuguese have forked out, we are no nearer finding the truth or whereabouts of the child.

I have firmly been of the opinion that if this was a child from a poor, council estate family the parents would have been prosecuted for neglect purely for the fact that they left the kids unattended whilst they went for a drink. It doesn't matter that the bar was on the complex, any parent will tell you that an accident (never mind an abduction) could happen with toddlers in seconds :x

I really hope the truth does come out at some point but I'm not holding my breathe.

agree - whether or not the parents killed her (and there is good evidence they did) - to spend almost £12 MILLION :shock: :shock: :shock: on one case like this, not even in our jurisdiction, when they are cutting police budgets and numbers left, right and centre, is simply indefensible.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 pm

northernbluebird wrote:

agree - whether or not the parents killed her (and there is good evidence they did) - to spend almost £12 MILLION :shock: :shock: :shock: on one case like this, not even in our jurisdiction, when they are cutting police budgets and numbers left, right and centre, is simply indefensible.

Whole thing is bloody indefensible , but if you want to keel the lid on something like that you've got to own the definitive version , and that's the ongoing " investigation"

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Also means that people especially politicians and former politicians can refuse to comment because there's an investigation going on. They've therefore got to keep it going haven't they, and since its for their personal benefit it's a much higher priority than other public spending

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 pm

northernbluebird wrote:

Where and what is it then??

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Also means that people especially politicians and former politicians can refuse to comment because there's an investigation going on. They've therefore got to keep it going haven't they, and since its for their personal benefit it's a much higher priority than other public spending

There are also countless superinjuctions in place gagging the media from questioning the McCann's in any way. This is why mainstream media is now obsolete and complete 24/7 propaganda