Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' The Cardiff player that infuriated Vincent Tan '

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:54 am

Andreas Cornelius, the Cardiff City flop who infuriated Vincent Tan, opens up on torrid time at club -

Andreas Cornelius is part of Denmark's squad

By Ian Mitchelmore

Tuesday 13th November 2018

Andreas Cornelius has opened up on his horror spell at Cardiff City and admitted he felt caught in the middle of the Bluebirds’ chaotic first season in the Premier League.

Danish flop Cornelius joined Cardiff for a club record fee of just under £8million in June 2013 ahead of the Bluebirds’ tilt at the top-flight under the guidance of then manager Malky Mackay.

But the campaign was a disaster for the Bluebirds as they were relegated from the top-flight and Mackay and his head of recruitment Iain Moody were sacked midway through the season.

On the field Cornelius had a nightmare and failed to score a goal before returning to FC Copenhagen in a £3m deal.

£5million was lost on the signing of Cornelius.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan was left furious at what he saw as a catastrophic waste of money on Cornelius.

Andreas Cornelius:

“I remember Cardiff was a big experience for me,” said Cornelius, who will return to Cardiff City Stadium on Friday as Wales face Denmark in the Nations League.

“It was a good opportunity for me to go from Copenhagen to the Premier League and I was excited, but a lot of things happened and it didn’t work out.

“Maybe I went to Cardiff too early in my career, I don’t know. There were a lot of different things going on at the time with the manager and then the sports director (Moody) got sacked.

“When I look back on it all, maybe it's right I was caught in the middle of something.”

Rightly or wrongly, Cornelius will always be seen as a symbol of Cardiff’s first Premier League nightmare, though the player himself insists the experience has made him a stronger person.

Tan even went as far as revealing Cornelius was paid £45,000-a-week at Cardiff in a bid to emphasis what he saw as Mackay wasting money on player transfers. Asked about his wages being made public, Cornelius added: “It was unusual, but it didn’t bother me. I have moved on with my career and I'm in a good place. I have been in Serie A and now I'm in the French League.

“I'm very happy so far and it's all in the past. I've played in the Champions League with Copenhagen, I played at the World Cup this summer, and I've played in two big leagues after the Premier League.

“Maybe I’ll play in the Premier League again, but in my opinion it's not the only place where football is good. The Premier League is not the only great league in the world, there are definitely other good leagues and maybe better leagues than the Premier League.”

Cornelius joined Cardiff at just 20 but since leaving, he’s impressed at Copenhagen and Atalanta. He is now on loan at French side Bordeaux and has Wales in his sights next. Friday’s Nations League clash with Ryan Giggs’ men will be the first time he has returned to Cardiff City Stadium.

“It makes no difference to me if we're playing in Cardiff or somewhere else,” Cornelius said. "It has changed a bit since I was there, so I don’t think it will make any difference.

“I don’t think it will help me personally. The Danish players haven’t really asked me what it will be like. It's the most important game in the group and if we win this one, then it's a really good result for us.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' The Cardiff player that infuriated Vincent Tan '

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Last time I saw him play was a sub appearance at the world cup and he was still crap.

Paterson is twice the centre forward.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

He's right.its history now.Apart from hoping he has a mare against us I have no ill will against him.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Worst signing in our history for some many reasons.

The biggest insult was Malky on Sunday Goals or whatever its called watching us struggle upfront and standing by the signing because he has potential. I've never seen such arrogance, don't think ive ever been so angry at an interview.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Not as bad a signing as Gary Madine.
Madine cost us more, plus his ongoing wages, and we have no hope of getting any money back.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:35 pm

I remember Malky’s interview too and he wouldn’t admit that he’d made a mistake. I lost a lot of respect for him there and then. All managers make mistakes when signing players, for many different reasons, but at least .admit your mistake

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

glas wrote:Not as bad a signing as Gary Madine.
Madine cost us more, plus his ongoing wages, and we have no hope of getting any money back.

Acorn was 8m on 40odd thousand a week.

Madine was 6m on about half of that.

But I agree Madine was a terrible signing.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm

nubbsy wrote:

But even using those figures, we got £3m back for Cornelius. So he cost us less.
Also, he was only with us for a few months, so even IF he was getting 40K per week, that is still a lot less than the reported £20k per week Madine is still costing us.
Cornelius was young and has gone on to have a decent career, while Madine is at the best he will ever get.

I would love to see Madine come good but here is no real chance of that, despite all his opportunities.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm

glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

But even using those figures, we got £3m back for Cornelius. So he cost us less.
Also, he was only with us for a few months, so even IF he was getting 40K per week, that is still a lot less than the reported £20k per week Madine is still costing us.
Cornelius was young and has gone on to have a decent career, while Madine is at the best he will ever get.

I would love to see Madine come good but here is no real chance of that, despite all his opportunities.

Gary Madine, was £20,000 a week, since we got promotion he's approx £28,000 a week so I have been it was in his contract, like it went from £2mill to £6mill.

The main point is every manager in football have made costly mistakes, but not every manager earns promotion and brings in hundreds of millions :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Gary Madine, was £20,000 a week, since we got promotion he's approx £28,000 a week so I have been it was in his contract, like it went from £2mill to £6mill.

The main point is every manager in football have made costly mistakes, but not every manager earns promotion and brings in hundreds of millions :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

They aren't comparable though.

Firstly Cornelius's 7/8m transfer fee then is probably comparable to about 15/16 million in todays transfer market

Medine was 2m and only 6m if we got where we needed to be ie premier league. If Cornelius was 2m and the rest on us staying up then I don't think many would have complained except for his stupid wages and we then no doubt would have brough in the striker we badly needed that season and not a "project" as Malky called it.

You are certainly right about every manager makes a mistake Annis, most more than one however good people have the decency to admit they were wrong. Malky just laughed in our faces watching us struggle upfrony and refused to admit he had ever done anything wrong and stood behind the deal.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm

glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

ahh so you think he and his agent just threw his 45k a week contract in the bin and its not him every manager since is talking about when they say we are still paying players from our prem season...wow...what great blokes acorn and his agent are...maybe the trust can bestow the same honour on them as they did malcon..

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Even the best get it wrong, Fergie could waste a few quid

1. Bébé: £7.4 million from Vitória de Guimarães

Bébé's insight into his relationship with Ferguson illustrates how badly his move worked out: "He told me to cut my hair, it will look better. So I cut it the same day. In the next training session, he didn't recognise me. I went past him many times and he didn't know me."

2. Ralph Milne: £170,000 from Bristol City

"I only paid £170,000 but still get condemned for it," says Ferguson. After leaving United, Ralph Milne never played professional football again.

3. Massimo Taibi: £4.5m from Venezia

​Massimo Taibi made only four league appearances for United, but a howler against Southampton remains extremely popular on YouTube.

4. David Bellion: £3m from Sunderland

​Manchester United have been involved in some controversial transfer activity. Ruud Van Nistelroy and Japp Stam might have warranted the reported stealth, but David Bellion did not.

5. Dong Fangzhou: £3.5m from Dalian Shide

​He made one Premier League appearance, but may have sold some shirts in China.

6. Dimitar Berbatov: £30.75m from Tottenham Hotspur

United's most expensive signing of all time is still adored by fans, but Ferguson never worked out how to get the best from him.

7. Eric Djemba-Djemba: £3.5m from Nantes

​The Cameroon player let his big move go to his head. He bought 10 4x4 cars, opened 30 bank accounts and ended up bankrupt.

8. Gabriel Obertan: £3m from Bordeaux

​He excelled at running fast and stepping over the ball, but wasn't so good at kicking it.

9. Kléberson: £6.5m from Atlético Paranaense

​He won the World Cup but made less of an impact at Old Trafford than David May.

10. Juan Sebastián Verón: £28m from Lazio

​"He's a f*cking great player, and you're all f*cking idiots," reckoned Fergie.

11. Diego Forlán: £6.9m from Independiente

​"He came from Uruguay, he made the Scousers cry." Unfortunately, he did little else.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Best quote I seen you make Annis and very true, as for acorn the best thing we did was take the hit and get rid to get him off the wage bill. Joking aside and he’s proved a few wrong he genuinely looked like they ha dragged some guy from the local rugby team and said go for it. I remember being turkey when we signed him with a Copenhagen fan, he said he woke up one morning seen the fee and spat his cornflakes out. He couldn’t believe it. Said he was raw young and doing well but 1-2 million would still have been over the odds.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Best quote I seen you make Annis and very true, as for acorn the best thing we did was take the hit and get rid to get him off the wage bill. Joking aside and he’s proved a few wrong he genuinely looked like they ha dragged some guy from the local rugby team and said go for it. I remember being turkey when we signed him with a Copenhagen fan, he said he woke up one morning seen the fee and spat his cornflakes out. He couldn’t believe it. Said he was raw young and doing well but 1-2 million would still have been over the odds.

Spot on Gareth :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 am

glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

:laughing6: what rubbish

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

They aren't comparable though.

Firstly Cornelius's 7/8m transfer fee then is probably comparable to about 15/16 million in todays transfer market

Medine was 2m and only 6m if we got where we needed to be ie premier league. If Cornelius was 2m and the rest on us staying up then I don't think many would have complained except for his stupid wages and we then no doubt would have brough in the striker we badly needed that season and not a "project" as Malky called it.

You are certainly right about every manager makes a mistake Annis, most more than one however good people have the decency to admit they were wrong. Malky just laughed in our faces watching us struggle upfrony and refused to admit he had ever done anything wrong and stood behind the deal.

Spot on and the season Madine signed he helped us get promotion, the season Acorn signed, he sealed our relegation !!!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

cornelius was useless, absolutely useless. madine has been very average, but he does play like a professional footballer, which i couldn't say of AC.

leicester rated him at no more than £1.5m. swansea's danish management rated him at £700k. what did we pay? enough said.