Jermaine Defoe

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jermaine Defoe

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:02 am

Apparently he's a bit unsettled at Bournemouth because he's not getting into the team.
He's 36 years old and no doubt past his best , but on the other hand there's no doubt that he's a top quality goal scorer .

Obviously , it's occurring to me that maybe we could get him either on loan or a transfer in the window , but I'm undecided whether this would be likely to work.

I'm genuinely on the fence with this, so what do people think of that idea?
SirJimmySchoular

Jermaine Defoe

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Jermain Defoe

Postby thomasblue » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 am

He is a goalscorer

I would snap him up if hes available
thomasblue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 am

Obviously not a long-term option.

As you say he’s struggling to get into the Bournemouth team, and I would definitely take him on a loan deal until the end of the season in January.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Bluebina » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Apparently he's a bit unsettled at Bournemouth because he's not getting into the team.
He's 36 years old and no doubt past his best , but on the other hand there's no doubt that he's a top quality goal scorer .

Obviously , it's occurring to me that maybe we could get him either on loan or a transfer in the window , but I'm undecided whether this would be likely to work.

I'm genuinely on the fence with this, so what do people think of that idea?

He's a back up Striker, if they get injuries they will need him, I don't think they won't let him go.
Bluebina

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 am

we are already going to finish in the top half apparently so why waste vast sums of wages on a 36 year old?
paulh_85

Postby T1JMO » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

Don't really think this would gain us anything with him being 36 and us needing someone who can chase/close down up top...
T1JMO

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am

Miles and miles ahead of what we currently have.

He'd score a few goals that could be crucial.
I'd snap him up if available.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 am

Always rated Defoe and still think he has enough about him at 36, problem is you need to create chances for him and the way we play he would need to cover a lot of ground.

Don't see it working.
2blue2handle

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am

paulh_85 wrote:we are already going to finish in the top half apparently so why waste vast sums of wages on a 36 year old?

Well I never suggested it was a done deal. Thought I observed the constant improvement, contrasting it with the ongoing decline and near implosion of some of our competitors .
If you'd attempted to follow my logic instead of getting upset that you might have missed something, you'd have seen that the expected strengthening in the window was an important factor, bringing effective if not expensive ammunition up just as Fulham and Newcastle for example ,are running out of it.

I don't know whether this player fits the bill or not, but I think he might perhaps be what we need during the next phase of improvement. Seems feasible that he could be persuaded, particularly since Harry Arter might reassure him that there's something worth joining up to, and seems possible that he can still do his thing to the extent that it'd turn some of our valiant efforts into goals for one more season. Biggest doubt or risk to my mind is using a squad place without knowing for certain that he could play.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:21 am

No idea what makes me think of this, but does anyone remember that character Fraser on Dads Army ?

( nice little feed line for you there Paul)
SirJimmySchoular

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:No idea what makes me think of this, but does anyone remember that character Fraser on Dads Army ?

you have a few years on me clearly (though ive aged a lot quicker since reading your posts :D )
paulh_85

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:42 am

paulh_85 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:No idea what makes me think of this, but does anyone remember that character Fraser on Dads Army ?

you have a few years on me clearly (though ive aged a lot quicker since reading your posts :D )

:clap:
That's better than the one I had in mind - thought you'd call me Captain Mainwaring.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby wez1927 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Always rated Defoe and still think he has enough about him at 36, problem is you need to create chances for him and the way we play he would need to cover a lot of ground.

Don't see it working.

We have created loads of chances this season we just havnt taken them
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm

wez1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Always rated Defoe and still think he has enough about him at 36, problem is you need to create chances for him and the way we play he would need to cover a lot of ground.

Don't see it working.

Exactly ! We need someone who can reliably do that and there's a shortage of them on the market, which is why it occurred to me - although whether he still can is the question really.
SirJimmySchoular

Re: Jermaine Defoe

Postby Lengee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

That's better than the one I had in mind - thought you'd call me Captain Mainwaring.

I was thinking more of Private Godfrey :bluebird:
Or even....
KERPOW...with a couple of taps on the laptop Hard of Hearing has been transformed into Sir Jimmy Schoular :shock:
Lengee

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:45 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Don't see it working.

Exactly ! We need someone who can reliably do that and there's a shortage of them on the market, which is why it occurred to me - although whether he still can is the question really.

I don't agree, maybe because I haven't seen all games but to me we seem to have a lot of shots but not created much at all.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Don't see it working.

I must be going to the toilet more than I thought I was..
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Don't see it working.

dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Lengee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Or even....
KERPOW...with a couple of taps on the laptop Hard of Hearing has been transformed into Sir Jimmy Schoular :shock:

What a perceptive man you must be to recognise me as a placid and feeble individual.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Lengee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:23 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Lengee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Or even....

What a perceptive man you must be to recognise me as a placid and feeble individual.

More case of different perceptions...I always saw in the Private Godrey character a kind well meaning man. Ok a bit past his best, (aren't we all), but he had served his country in the first war and was well liked by all.
,,... :thumbup: .Bluebirds :bluebird:
Lengee

Postby wez1927 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am

dogfound wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Don't see it working.

You must be :lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 am

Lengee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Lengee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Or even....

More case of different perceptions...I always saw in the Private Godrey character a kind well meaning man. Ok a bit past his best, (aren't we all), but he had served his country in the first war and was well liked by all.
,,... :thumbup: .Bluebirds :bluebird:

Well then I misunderstood and I'm sorry. It's hard to accept that view of yourself but it's quite true when I think about it and that's no ones fault. See, at one time I was a well renowned punch up merchant and very physically fit so that's why your harmless comment caused me to suffer a little bitch-fit ! I'll have a word with myself .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 am

I see that Sheffield United are going in for a loan of Defoe in January. Should we try and pre empt them
SirJimmySchoular

Postby actionman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 pm

I would snap him up if possible turns half chances into goals went to Sunderland latter end of a season and kept them up with his goals. If we bought him he would score stacks of goals in the championship
actionman

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm

actionman wrote:I would snap him up if possible turns half chances into goals went to Sunderland latter end of a season and kept them up with his goals. If we bought him he would score stacks of goals in the championship

Very strange comment indeed. Are you hoping for or expecting relegation then ?
If we took this player on loan it'd be just that and for the purpose of keeping us up given his age. We've got plenty of players who could score in the championship and whilst I don't think that is going to happen , we'd run away with the championship next year if it did, providing that we were able to retain the collective positivity which Sir Neil has brought us.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby montyblue » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 pm

As much as i like defoe the way to go is youngsters look at the current wales sqaud young lads playing without fear and fast no sticks required just thinking about our kadeem harris give the young guys a go, plus the opposition hardly no whats infront of them, the older guys they know how they play and set up accordingly and whats better than seeing some young kid turning on the style and people saying who the f..k is that.
montyblue

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 pm

montyblue wrote:As much as i like defoe the way to go is youngsters look at the current wales sqaud young lads playing without fear and fast no sticks required just thinking about our kadeem harris give the young guys a go, plus the opposition hardly no whats infront of them, the older guys they know how they play and set up accordingly and whats better than seeing some young kid turning on the style and people saying who the f..k is that.

You may well be right. As I said at the outset, it'd be a gamble because we don't really know whether he can still do it . I don't think we can gamble on untried youngsters either though and the only reason I say that is because once we've put someone in the 25man squad we're stuck with them , as we are with a couple of pretty useless players at the moment.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat