Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Liverpool v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Liverpool win
46%
Cardiff City win
19%
Draw
35%

Total votes : 54

Re: LATEST NEWS “ LIVERPOOL v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 pm

The last time Cardiff City forward Bobby Reid was at Anfield he celebrated Liverpool's dramatic Champions League win over Paris St-Germain.

But on Saturday Reid hopes to help the Bluebirds shock his heroes in front of his own family.

"I can't wait," said the summer signing from Bristol City, 25.

"It will be so nice for my family to see me out there. My older brothers are Liverpool fans and it's just something that's gone through the generations."

Reid's passion for Liverpool was inspired by legendary players Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen.

"I saw Gerrard's last game at Anfield," said Reid.

"And Owen was someone I always looked at, like any kid you want to be a striker and score goals.

"He was electric and exciting and scored goals. I looked at him and thought 'I want to be like that'.

"Obviously times move on, and now I've got to be my own player and show what I can do."

Reid witnessed Roberto Firmino's late winner against PSG and is relishing his first game against Jurgen Klopp's side."I love football and love watching games - and the PSG one was some game," said Bristol-born Reid.

"I got a ticket late for that one, and it was worth it.

"But I've got a job to do on Saturday and I have to be as professional as I can.

"I'll be enjoying it, but at the same time I'll be looking to do a job there."

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 am

I'm hoping that this will be the last game on Match of the Day, but I've just noticed that there are extended highlights on sky at 11 pm on sky, ( might be 10.30 so check it)

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:14 am

All odds according to Sky Bet. Prices vary between bookmakers

LIVERPOOL TO WIN - 1/9

DRAW - 15/2

CARDIFF TO WIN 22/1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: TEAM NEWS “ LIVERPOOL v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am

Injury news 26/10/18

Warnock has revealed Harry Arter and Josh Murphy are both doubtful for this weekend’s game - both have knocks.

Gary Madine should be available after recovering from illness.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We’ve had a couple of problems this week, we’re definitely going to have to make one change."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:39 am

Cardiff City injuries and suspensions: When absentees should return

Cardiff City will be without several key players for their Premier League clash with Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday.

UPDATE: :bluebird: ' ON CARDIFF CITY'S INJURIES & SUSPENSIONS ' :bluebird:

Thursday 25th October 2018

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing :bluebird:

The winger has not featured for the Bluebirds since being forced off in the opening stages of Cardiff's 0-0 draw with Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium in August.

"He’s done his posterior cruciate, which is good news my physio says," Warnock said in the aftermath of the stalemate with the Terriers.

And prior to the Bluebirds' 4-2 win over Fulham at Cardiff City Stadium, the club revealed Mendez-Laing was making good progress on his return from injury.

"I’ve got a lot of good people around me, and the boys have been great, so hopefully I can get back as soon as possible," said the 26-year-old.

“Seeing the boys training every day is my motivation, I can’t wait to get back out there onto the pitch. I just want to go and help my teammates, so when I’m back that’s hopefully what I’m going to be able to do."

Expected return: Late November/Early December

Lee Peltier :bluebird:

The right-back was carried off the pitch on a stretcher just minutes into the second half of Cardiff's 5-0 defeat to champions Man City last month after suffering a dislocated shoulder.

"Peltier’s not got to have an operation which is the good news but it’s still going to be between two and three months," said Warnock ahead of the Burnley game.

"Obviously it came out of the joint and they managed to put it back in without operating."

Bruno Manga has continued to operate at right-back for the Bluebirds while Jazz Richards can also fill the role in the absence of Peltier, who misses out on a trip to his former club Liverpool this weekend.

Expected return: Late December/January

Danny Ward :bluebird:

The striker replaced Callum Paterson in the 78th minute of the loss to Spurs earlier this month.

But he was forced off just eight minutes later through injury, with Bobby Reid coming on in his place.

And ahead of the Fulham game, Warnock said: "He might start training within a couple of weeks."

It meant Kenneth Zohore was the Bluebirds' only out-and-out forward fit for the Fulham game, although Warnock opted for Callum Paterson in the lone striker role.

But speaking prior to the Liverpool game, Ward gave a positive update on his progress.

"It's coming along well, I've been out on the pitch doing some running so it's feeling good. Just taking it day by day," he said.

"Ideally it was going to be Liverpool, but we'll see how the next week goes and see how it recovers."

Expected return: Early November

Joe Ralls :bluebird:

The central midfielder was shown a straight red card for his challenge on Lucas Moura during the Bluebirds' 1-0 defeat to Tottenham at Wembley before the international break.

It meant he missed the 4-2 win over Fulham while he's also unavailable for the games against Liverpool and Leicester City.

But ahead of the triumph against the Cottagers last time out, Warnock revealed that the 25-year-old has chipped a bone in his knee, meaning he is set for an extended spell on the sidelines.

"Ironically enough, (Ralls) was bad when he got sent off (against Tottenham) and we’ve done some checks and he’s chipped a bone in his knee, so he’s going to be be out for a few weeks," said the Cardiff boss.

He'll sit out the games against Liverpool and Leicester City due to his suspension but could miss more games next month as a result of his knee problem.

Expected return: Late November

Gary Madine :bluebird:

The striker was not in the matchday squad for the win against Fulham.

And prior to the game, Warnock revealed that the frontman had been struggling with illness.

"(Gary) Madine has got a virus so he’s struggling and on top of (Danny) Ward it means we’re short in the striker area," said Warnock last week.

It's unlikely that the problem will rule Madine out of contention for too long.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 am

Cardiff City have sold their full Away Allocation :thumbright: :bluebird:

26/10/18

NEIL WARNOCK:

Injury news

Warnock has revealed Harry Arter and Josh Murphy are both doubtful for this weekend’s game - both have knocks.

Gary Madine should be available after recovering from illness.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We’ve had a couple of problems this week, we’re definitely going to have to make one change."

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Jurgen Klopp has no fresh injury concerns to deal with ahead of the visit of Cardiff City. On Saturday, the Liverpool boss will be without just three first-team players due to different fitness issues, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain a long-term absentee due to his knee injury.

The other key figures unavailable are club captain Jordan Henderson and summer signing Naby Keita, with the game coming too soon for them on their recovery trail from their respective hamstring injuries. The duo’s absence has hamstrung Liverpool to an extent, with Klopp having just four recognised options in midfield at his disposal.

The manager though, is expected to employ the 4-2-3-1 formation once again, which will put him at ease somewhat. The continued faith in the newly employed system is a result of Xherdan Shaqiri’s positive showings in the last couple of games.
Neil Warnock has a number of pressing issues hampering his preparations ahead of the trip to Anfield. On Saturday, the Cardiff City manager could be without as many as seven first-team players as a result of injuries and suspension.

Those are certain to be unavailable to go on the road to face Liverpool are Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (knee), Lee Peltier (shoulder), Danny Ward (knee) and Joe Ralls, with Ralls serving the second of his three-match ban after being sent off against Tottenham earlier this month. Gary Madine is a minor doubt due to illness.

But, the most major injury concerns surround Harry Arter and Josh Murphy. While Arter sustained an ankle injury last weekend, Murphy has been struggling with a knock he picked up in training this week, and the twin problems have Warnock sweating over the availability of two key men. But, the duo might be fit enough to take the field on Saturday, in a huge boost for Cardiff.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 am

Struggling to see how we can get anything out of this.

Liverpool are certainly in the top two best teams in the league, perhaps even the best - we’ll find out between now and the end of the season. I believe it’s a two-horse race between them and Manchester City for the title. I’d even go as far as saying that both of those clubs are serious contenders for the Champions League.

I am no big fan of Liverpool, but got a lot of time for their manager. Bizarrely, Klopp is not too dissimilar to Warnock. Both have the passion and a hunger to win (the latter you need to be successful, Klopp on a bigger level to Warnock admittedly). I was gutted when Klopp went there, because I don’t like them as a general rule and knew he would do well there.

But there’s no pressure on us, that’s a positive. The general public will expect Salah to run riot and us to concede five goals plus. So I hope we can, at least, keep the score down. Goal difference could matter at the end of the season - which is why the second half of the Man City and Chelsea games bothered me so much.

But let’s be honest, these are not the important games for us. The next two games, especially, are the sort of games where we’ll expect to pick up the points that can keep us up.

Damage limitation may be the key today.

Re: MATCH THREAD: “ LIVERPOOL v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:56 pm

:bluebird:

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm

:bluebird:

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Uphill task now

It was absolute pinball around the Cardiff box there but really the fault lies with Sol Bamba who missed a clearance and allowed Mane to shoot.

Morrison blocked and it fell kindly for Salah to finish. ‘The Egyptian King’ is now being serenaded by the Kop.

Up hill from here for Cardiff.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:14 pm

0-1 down already and 10% possession. Room for improvement!

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:19 pm

20 minutes in and we dont seem to be trying so far. Not even attempting to play. Hope we pick up and at least try something.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 pm

On the good news front Fulham are losing as well.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Totally overawed.... We forget to do the basics

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Brief moment of respite

Camarasa brings Cardiff away down the left and for a moment the Bluebirds smell blood. Here comes Victor again - despite the fact Alisson gobbled up the first cross from Murphy.

Liverpool eventually win it back and resume their customary position - in the Cardiff half.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Huddersfield 2 down :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Warnock obviously joking with the press but would it help the mental preparation of the players by saying that Salah would want to play to help himself to 5 or 6 goals! I didn't misread that did i? NW did say that??

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Cardiff at sea

Moreno with a great ball to pick out Wijnaldum as Liverpool come down the left for a change.

Manga’s fulsome challenge sees it out for a corner. Well played.

Salah takes and Cardiff are all at sea - but somehow Etheridge collects.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Expected to lose but some of the basic errors, lost possession and poor defensive clearances have been very poor today.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Paterson isolated

Callum Paterson has been in animated discussions with Neil Warnock at times in this first half.

I’m not sure what the Cardiff boss expects of his striker. Feeding off scraps doesn’t quite cover it at the moment.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Counter breaks up again

Sean Morrison just about gets out of jail on his own byline under pressure from two Reds players.

A heavy touch from Hoilett then lets Cardiff down as they look to counter. Same old story at the moment.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Paterson working hard

All a bit quiet now at Anfield, as if the home supporters are just waiting for a second goal.

Cardiff are winning more in midfield though, Paterson doing well to win a foul in the centre circle with Fabinho penalised.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Firmino close

Well done Joe Bennett. Out runs Salah in a foot race down the Liverpool left... out for a throw-in.

Firmino then curls one wide of the post.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Josh Murphy getting himself in some decent positions.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:47 pm

HALF TIME 1-0

Sean Morrison with a clearance off the line with the last action of the half!

Wow, that was fortunate for Cardiff. Bruno Manga’s wayward header had put them in all sorts of trouble there.

The referee’s whistle will come as light relief for the visitors as Warnock prepares his plan on how to get back into this one.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Forget the gap in quality between the two squads, the performance from the boys today is exactly what you get when your manager is out and about saying how you don’t stand a chance in the game.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Need to out our foot in, we are just standing off them.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Huddersfield 2 down :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Total domination first half from Liverpool. City struggled to hold on to the ball enough