Callum Paterson

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Callum Paterson

Postby davids » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Our latest Scottish talisman?

The natural successor to Super Kev as a fan's favourite. Not the most talented or stylish of footballers but always gives 100% and causes plenty of problems for opposing players.

Loved the goal celebration yesterday taking the piss out of Mitrovic! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Started the season mostly on the bench but has forced his way into the side and the way he's playing at the moment it looks like he's there to stay.

Showing our so called strikers Zohore and Madine how it's done. We don't expect Ronaldo or Messi up front- we expect hard working, give it everything types of players epitomised currently by Paterson the Braveheart! :thumbup:

Storm Callum returned to Cardiff yesterday afternoon! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
davids

Callum Paterson

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Callum Paterson

Postby montyblue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Watched a re run of the game this morning about 2 mins left in the game patterson running 20/30 yards to close there keeper down zohore would never have done that in any point of the game let alone the last minute different mentality but that's what manager team mates and fans want commitment you have to earn your place and patters deserves his place 100% .
montyblue

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Looking at him yesterday I can’t see why he wouldn’t be able to play striker effectively all season. He was holding the ball up really well. Brought others into play with his flick ons. Has proven he can score. He seems to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time most of the time.
maccydee

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 pm

I really hope we don't get too carried away with him being up top because this feels like a Pilkington x2.. effective as he was and his goal was really taken well to get that in from having your back to goal ain't easy but he fluffed one chance and I feel like this is something we shouldn't be getting to carried away with, can't fault his work ethic and his power but just feel like it will work 1 game in about 5. Don't want be sceptical but reminds me of when Slade put Pilks up top.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I really hope we don't get too carried away with him being up top because this feels like a Pilkington x2.. effective as he was and his goal was really taken well to get that in from having your back to goal ain't easy but he fluffed one chance and I feel like this is something we shouldn't be getting to carried away with, can't fault his work ethic and his power but just feel like it will work 1 game in about 5. Don't want be sceptical but reminds me of when Slade put Pilks up top.

Tend to agree, it worked yesterday because the Fulham defence didn't like being put under pressure so his work ethic was perfect. In other games he may struggle but hopefully Warnock will pick and choose.
2blue2handle

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I really hope we don't get too carried away with him being up top because this feels like a Pilkington x2.. effective as he was and his goal was really taken well to get that in from having your back to goal ain't easy but he fluffed one chance and I feel like this is something we shouldn't be getting to carried away with, can't fault his work ethic and his power but just feel like it will work 1 game in about 5. Don't want be sceptical but reminds me of when Slade put Pilks up top.

I understand your point, but I thought Pilkington did well for us up front at Championship level. I've always been a Pilkington fan though, so that's just my opinion.

Paterson has all the attributes to be able to play the role well though. I think this could be his best position. Whenever he played centre midfield, he was in more of an attacking midfield/second striker/number 10 role anyway, so it's not a drastic change for him. He has to play with his back to goal more up front, but he's more than strong and powerful enough to handle that anyway and obviously, he's excellent in the air.

But most importantly, he's proving to be far more effective than Zohore at the moment. Zohore is so easy to play against right now and doesn't pose a threat. Paterson in comparison is a nuisance to defenders, creates openings and is difficult to play against. Hopefully, he can keep his form up and turn out to be the striker we have been missing. Personally, I don't think Paterson is a defender or midfielder, so I'm optimistic we may have found his proper position as a striker now. He has all the attributes to make a good striker.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby montyblue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Was' nt patters our top scorer last season so why on earth would you not give him a go he had more touches in the chealsea game than anybody and yesterday he worked his bo...ks off and scored and with reid or ward working off him it works, i also don' t think it will work always that' s what the subs are for thats when zohore can prove himself until then work hard on the trainning ground if not kadeem will take his place and holliet is also there and lang will be back soon so patters for me until he' s having a bad game.
montyblue

Postby DandoCCFC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I understand your point, but I thought Pilkington did well for us up front at Championship level. I've always been a Pilkington fan though, so that's just my opinion.

Paterson has all the attributes to be able to play the role well though. I think this could be his best position. Whenever he played centre midfield, he was in more of an attacking midfield/second striker/number 10 role anyway, so it's not a drastic change for him. He has to play with his back to goal more up front, but he's more than strong and powerful enough to handle that anyway and obviously, he's excellent in the air.

But most importantly, he's proving to be far more effective than Zohore at the moment. Zohore is so easy to play against right now and doesn't pose a threat. Paterson in comparison is a nuisance to defenders, creates openings and is difficult to play against. Hopefully, he can keep his form up and turn out to be the striker we have been missing. Personally, I don't think Paterson is a defender or midfielder, so I'm optimistic we may have found his proper position as a striker now. He has all the attributes to make a good striker.

I am a big fan of Pilkington he offers something completely different because when he does come on in games since Warnock taken charge he always changes the game and we always seem more threatening when he has come off the bench but you could tell after the 5 games Pilks played that it was gonna be found out and I think it was unfair to put the pressure on him to play up top because a lot of people were quite harsh when he went through a dry spell up top with Slade in charge and I think people didn't fully take into account that he is not a striker but he is naturally a winger.

I think there's a lot of players that have the attributes to play in a different position and I think football supporters sort of get into a bubble that because they have attributes to play in a different position but there's having attributes and actually knowing how to play the position, I am fully behind Paterson holding the line for us for the minute because v Spurs and Fulham he was effective and I think Bobby Reid and Murphy played off him a lot and you could see even when the ball wasn't played into them that Bobby Reid was quick to react to a long ball towards Paterson fully knowing he will win the headers which is a big plus for us.

I don't want write Zohore off because I feel like the last home game he started for us Ralls really let him down in some ways because a lot of the time v Burnley I think it was a lot of our chances to counter when the ball was played out and Burnley was out of position it was usually Ralls having the ball in them situations and he constantly took to long when Zohore was running the channels I think Warnock picked up on this as he brought him off in that game.

All in all I am for this for the now as it has won us our first game and also worked as we fully battled in and deserved the win.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Return to General Chat