Corporal Jones! Don't Panic!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby bluebird58 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm

I have updated my blog. Its just for fun - if you don't like it, thats fine by me. I warn you - i'm a glass half full person!

http://premierleaguebluebird.blogspot.c ... ep-up.html
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Corporal Jones! Don't Panic!

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Now is the time to Step Up.

As we approach the end of September, we find ourselves without a win and only 3 goals scored, with 2 points and only one team below us in the Premier League table. Are we downhearted? Well, a bit. But, as regular readers of this blog know, I am a "glass half full" kind of supporter. In the words of the immortal Corporal Jones from 'Dad's Army', "Don't Panic!".

Our last 3 matches have been against 3 of the 'big 6' teams of the Premier League, including Manchester City who are probably one of the 5 best teams in the world at present. Despite 3 losses, we have acquitted ourselves with pride and resilience, even though we have been outscored in those matches by a total of 3 goals for and 12 against. Our season, and any chance we have of avoiding relegation, will not be defined by our results against the top 6, but by our results against the rest of the league, starting with the game at home to Burnley next Sunday.

The gulf in class between ourselves and the top 6 is considerable. (The gap between Manchester City and Arsenal, both teams in the top 6, is also considerable!). But the difference between the teams between 7th and 20th is nowhere near as great, and if we are to stand any chance of avoiding relegation then it is against those teams that we have to do well. Our next 6 home games are against teams from that category, and these are the games where we need to pick up points. Its not going to be easy, and the odds are clearly against our low budget team, but now is the time to really 'give it a go'!

Results since my last blog:

HUDDERSFIELD 0 CARDIFF 0

CARDIFF 1 NORWICH 3 (Caraboa Cup)

CARDIFF 2 ARSENAL 3

CHELSEA 4 CARDIFF 1

CARDIFF 0 MANCHESTER CITY 5

The games.

I made the trip to Huddersfield with my son to watch my first away game for 35 years! This was a game we should really have won, as for the second week running our opponents were reduced to 10 players for the last half hour of the game. Unlike the previous game against Newcastle, we seemed to improve once our opponents were reduced. We put on lots of pressure for the last half hour, and unfortunately Sean Morrison missed a clear cut chance from a corner. But unfortunately we had to settle for an away point at the end of the day. I suspect that Huddersfield are going to be struggling in a similar manner to ourselves this season.

Following this game was a very low key defeat at home to Norwich in the Caraboa Cup. To put it simply, their reserves were better than our reserves in a game where neither side was particularly enthusiastic.

Then came our first home game against one of the big Premier League clubs - Arsenal. Arsenal are probably the weakest of the top 6 teams, getting used to a new manager and still rebuilding a side. However, they still have a number of individual players of exceptional talent. A number of their players cost more individually than our entire team! it was a game where we played well at times, were not over-awed by the occasion and twice pulled back to equalise after Arsenal took the lead. A late Lacazette goal (a £60m player!) sealed the points for Arsenal.

At Chelsea in our next game we even held the lead for 15 minutes after Sol Bamba put us into a shock lead. But the class of Eden Hazzard, one of the top players in world football, finally undid us in this game, where he scored a hat trick. I have seen little of this game, but reports suggest that the final score of 4-1 to Chelsea was not quite a true reflection of how well we had played for much of the game.

And finally, last Saturday, our home game to Manchester City. Most true fans are appreciative of how good our opponents were. We kept them at bay for more than half an hour, but their first shot on target resulted in their first goal, and more followed at steady intervals. Its never nice watching your team lose 5-0, but I've seen far more disappointing and frustrating defeats than this over my years of supporting Cardiff. The match was made extra difficult for us following Man City's surprise home defeat in the Champions League earlier in the week. They clearly weren't going to make the same mistake again. Quite simply, Manchester City are a fantastic side and I wouldn't want to bet against them winning the Premier League again this season.

Now the real season begins!

As mentioned above, we now have six home games coming up which could well define our season. Especially as our next 2 away games are at Tottenham and Liverpool! Unfortunately, our next opponents Burnley seem to have returned to form recently following a 4-0 home win over Bournemouth. Hopefully, our home support will spur the team on this week and increase their confidence. Despite our poor run of results, the supporters have remained firmly behind the team and their voices will be crucial if we are to get out of this! Lets hope we get the result we need.

Read more at: http://premierleaguebluebird.blogspot.c ... ep-up.html
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat