Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Paterson in?

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 am

It's probably been mentioned before, but i think we should start Paterson soon. I noticed for Man City we did a lot of knocking the ball forward and whilst Ward did challenge well, would we benefit from playing Paterson up with him? Paterson has more of a physical presence and can win the ball in the air, plus he doesn't stop running so would be as good as Reid in the position to chase the opposition defence/midfield

Thoughts?

Re: Paterson in?

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am

Don't mind trying patters with reid or ward top scorer for us last season patters and his advantage over zohore is he can head a ball so if murphys wipping in crosses we at least have someone who can head it and score.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:36 am

Has boundless energy as well.
Our top scorer as well last season, deserves persevering with.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am

I think you might be on to something here. Bobby Reid is too good to drop , whether people can see this or not. However we've got some problems with the other position and given our limited options I'd certainly try starting Patterson there. He's a player who we should be using but it's been hard so far to see where he slots in if we're playing this new way.
Realistically Ken is the only striker we've got who could produce if he could find the form and the others we've played there are very very unlikely to do much. Patterson knows where the goal net is and he's not scared to mix it with any man - thinking about it he's the sort of man I'd choose to have next to me in a serious situation and men like that often surprise everyone when it matters most .
Yes, give it a try. Not against Burnley though - that's a game to be systematic and do what we're used to with the intention of winning at all costs . However, start him there against Tottenham and give him a decent chance to pull something off.

Yeah, I think this is the cleverest bit of thinking I've seen on this forum. It's something which could work and unlike a lot of the stuff people say, it's something we can actually do .

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I think you might be on to something here. Bobby Reid is too good to drop , whether people can see this or not. However we've got some problems with the other position and given our limited options I'd certainly try starting Patterson there. He's a player who we should be using but it's been hard so far to see where he slots in if we're playing this new way.
Realistically Ken is the only striker we've got who could produce if he could find the form and the others we've played there are very very unlikely to do much. Patterson knows where the goal net is and he's not scared to mix it with any man - thinking about it he's the sort of man I'd choose to have next to me in a serious situation and men like that often surprise everyone when it matters most .
Yes, give it a try. Not against Burnley though - that's a game to be systematic and do what we're used to with the intention of winning at all costs . However, start him there against Tottenham and give him a decent chance to pull something off.

Yeah, I think this is the cleverest bit of thinking I've seen on this forum. It's something which could work and unlike a lot of the stuff people say, it's something we can actually do .

It sadly seems very much like paterson is the forgotten man with us. I agree with trying to keep doing what we have been against Burnley but he's allways an option to chuck on if it's not quite working. It does depend on what formation Warnock plays though but if he sticks to this 4-4-1-1 he has the last few games Paterson would be perfect in the number 10 role. Or yeah push him further forward and have him up top. Sadly Kens not been at his best since he's come back from injury but hopefully he'll hit form at the right time!

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I know he has scored goals for us, but wasn't he one of Scotland's brightest defensive prospects when he originally signed for us.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm

I don't see why we don't play him up top with Reid

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm

He scores goals and is our best finisher. We are desperate foe goals so i guess he will start on bench.

My team 532

Etherige
Patterson
Morrison
Bamba
Magna
Bennett
Ralls
Arta
Camarasa
Reid
Ward or Murphy throgh the middle