“ Empty seats “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Empty seats “

Postby Birminghamnewby27 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 am

Lots of football fans are going on about the empty seats we are seeing in premiership stadiums across the country so just wondering if the bubble is about to burst ? .. Are fans being turned off when they see Players on obscene wages like Harry Kane £200k. Are people getting bored by the saturated coverage on Sky etc ? .. Are fans being ripped off with ticket prices ? . Noticing more and more empty seats each week in every stadium .
Birminghamnewby27

“ Empty seats “

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Empty seats

Postby Wolfpac » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:10 am

I think the bubble has well and truly burst, a lot of fans don’t want to see their teams getting hammered week in week out, Southampton yesterday beaten by the mighty Liverpool, the gulf in class is massive, it wasn’t like this 10 yrs ago, I’ll be honest Prem life bores me, we are cannon fodder, I don’t like losing but can’t see us collecting many wins this season, it pains me to say it but I believe we’re Championship at best
Wolfpac

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 am

A look at the table below will show you that Premier League crowds are still booming on the whole. It's the 'other' games (such as cups, early European games, etc.) that people aren't turning up for and we are as guilty as any as a fan base! ;)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268 ... ttendance/
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Birminghamnewby27 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Just watching WHU v Chelsea and to reiterate my point there are are quite a few empty seats ...
Birminghamnewby27

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Birminghamnewby27 wrote:Just watching WHU v Chelsea and to reiterate my point there are are quite a few empty seats ...

It's the Olympic stadium, has a large capacity, is unfit for football and West Ham supporters are in dispute with their owners (and maybe Daya) as they lurch from 'wannabes' to ''strugglers'

Their support is far more unforgiving than ours and talk with their feet!

As stated in the graph, attendances are till buoyant...but that might change as the game stagnates! :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:28 am

Birminghamnewby27 wrote:Lots of football fans are going on about the empty seats we are seeing in premiership stadiums across the country so just wondering if the bubble is about to burst ? .. Are fans being turned off when they see Players on obscene wages like Harry Kane £200k. Are people getting bored by the saturated coverage on Sky etc ? .. Are fans being ripped off with ticket prices ? . Noticing more and more empty seats each week in every stadium .

For me, I have lost a lot of interest in watching football.
You can't even tackle anymore. The ref blows up way too much, The better players / teams are over protected!
Money has also ruined the game big time.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby skiprat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 am

Rewind to the 80s/90s my friend crowds were really poor all over the country.present day crowds are nearly double to what they were then.
skiprat

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 am

skiprat wrote:Rewind to the 80s/90s my friend crowds were really poor all over the country.present day crowds are nearly double to what they were then.

Agree with your comment but we could also add that when would you have seen Cardiff and Chelsea fans being let out at the same time at Stamford Bridge in the 80/90s, never in a million years. The game has moved on and far more kids and women are attending football now which is great.
1980s Bluebird

Re: “ Empty seats “

Postby nubbsy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:46 am

Birminghamnewby27 wrote:Lots of football fans are going on about the empty seats we are seeing in premiership stadiums across the country so just wondering if the bubble is about to burst ? .. Are fans being turned off when they see Players on obscene wages like Harry Kane £200k. Are people getting bored by the saturated coverage on Sky etc ? .. Are fans being ripped off with ticket prices ? . Noticing more and more empty seats each week in every stadium .

All of the above.

Add to that the culture is changing and the atmospheres are mostly dead. The fun is slowly being squeezed out for the active fan.
nubbsy

Postby Sam ReaN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm

no matter what happens the hardcore fans will stay and watch the bluebirds survive in the prem, unfortunately the stadium attendances will drop if we are still bottom of the premier league at christmas time.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Folkestone_Blue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Football has been sanitised, cleaned, and packaged for a global TV audience..... and I (like many I’m sure) am getting more & more disillusioned, season by season. The rich appear to be getting richer, and the gulf in class between the top clubs and the rest is widening every year.

I seem to enjoy lower league games far more, as the supporter tends to feel far more involved with the players, the team, the town etc etc.

Was anyone else aware that on Saturday, Wolves had more Portuguese players playing for them than did either Porto or Sporting Lisbon in their last games ?

For me, this season is one of determination and perseverance, not hope and joy. For me, it’s a case of the TV money on offer will grant the club a fair amount of breathing space, and it’ll hopefully allow us to come back stronger next season.

Perhaps it’s time to totally evaluate the game, and try and work to some model of revenues vs wages vs overall spending.

Also the money coming into the game needs to be distributed around a lot more. There could certainly be grants awarded to lower league clubs for ground improvements, to build better training facilities, to help with travel expenses ...... eg when Bromley FC got promoted a few seasons ago to the National League, their travel expenses trebled. Whereas the majority of fixtures were within 60-80 miles, now they’re travelling to Gateshead (300miles), Barrow (325miles) and Hartlepool (280miles).

Empty seats ? ................. it’s a wonder there’s not more.

Rant over
Folkestone_Blue

Postby rossblue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:18 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

For me, I have lost a lot of interest in watching football.
You can't even tackle anymore. The ref blows up way too much, The better players / teams are over protected!
Money has also ruined the game big time.

That's exactly how I feel. Taking certain tackles out of the game limits smaller clubs ability to compete
rossblue

Return to General Chat