Could we play Bamba up front?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby bluebird58 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am

Bruno Ecuele Manga reminded us yesterday how good he is as a centre back. Despite the injury to Peltier, I don’t think we should move him back to right back - we could continue with Richards or use Paterson, who has played most of his career as a right back. Bamba therefore becomes useful as a utility player on the bench. But could we use him as a target man striker with Hoilett, Murphy , Reid or even Ward? Just a thought.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Could we play Bamba up front?

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 am

No. But he should've played as a CB yesterday. At least he puts his body on the line. As good as Man City were there seemed to be very little closing down of the shots, something Bamba always seems to do. Don't think Manga would've been skinned as many times as Pelts at right back too.

Bring back Bennett too.
jimmy_rat

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 am

bluebird58 wrote:Bruno Ecuele Manga reminded us yesterday how good he is as a centre back. Despite the injury to Peltier, I don’t think we should move him back to right back - we could continue with Richards or use Paterson, who has played most of his career as a right back. Bamba therefore becomes useful as a utility player on the bench. But could we use him as a target man striker with Hoilett, Murphy , Reid or even Ward? Just a thought.

Not sure whether it works or not because I'm very very sorry to say that Richards is out of his depth at this level and might be better off in the Championship.
I love your thinking though and that's exactly what can pull us through this difficulty we've got in attack. The basic idea of using Sol as a target man is plausible to me, but only the manager is in a position to try that in training and judge whether it can be tried in a game. Not quite sure what you do at the back in that case though, where I'm afraid we're starting to see new and worrying problems - not what you said with respect because of what I just reluctantly said about Richards and although I'm certain that Paterson is a big asset we need to use, it's not at right back. I lived in Scotland for many years and someone can get away with stuff in that league which they wouldn't get away with in League one , and that's where he played right back.

Sir Neil has shuffled the pack once already this season and you don't want to be doing that too often , but you're quite right that we obviously have to think again and the attacking Sol part of your suggestion is possibly workable.

Truth is that it's all down to Vincent Tan now because we might manage to blag it and get some points in the mean time, but we absolutely need serious reinforcements in January.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby City Slicker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 am

jimmy_rat wrote:No. But he should've played as a CB yesterday. At least he puts his body on the line. As good as Man City were there seemed to be very little closing down of the shots, something Bamba always seems to do. Don't think Manga would've been skinned as many times as Pelts at right back too.

Bring back Bennett too.

I agree about Bennett but to be fair Cunningham's play was one of the few bright points yesterday. It's a pity he's not a right back; another position we failed to address this season.
City Slicker

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:51 am

jimmy_rat wrote:No. But he should've played as a CB yesterday. At least he puts his body on the line. As good as Man City were there seemed to be very little closing down of the shots, something Bamba always seems to do. Don't think Manga would've been skinned as many times as Pelts at right back too.

Bring back Bennett too.

Id try Patterson up fromt rather than Zohore.
I know Bennett is an excellent player but taking the opposition into account, I thought Cunningham did well tbf.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 am

Cunningham's marking when the ball was played across the box seemed woeful, watch Mahrez 1st. Can't help but think Bennett would've been better, he seems quicker.

With you on Patterson up front, maybe for last 30 if we need something different. If anyone wins headers and can score a goal it's him. Puts it about too. Better option than Bamba I reckon.

But Ward and Reid aren't doing too badly considering they've played Vs Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. I'd give them a go Vs weaker opposition first before changing anything.
jimmy_rat

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Cunningham's marking when the ball was played across the box seemed woeful, watch Mahrez 1st. Can't help but think Bennett would've been better, he seems quicker.

With you on Patterson up front, maybe for last 30 if we need something different. If anyone wins headers and can score a goal it's him. Puts it about too. Better option than Bamba I reckon.

But Ward and Reid aren't doing too badly considering they've played Vs Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. I'd give them a go Vs weaker opposition first before changing anything.

Fair points mate but for Bennett’s attempted tackle on Hazard (if you can call it that) Cunningham deserved a chance.
I do think that we should scrap the memory of mistakes yesterday as Man City were light years ahead of us - if we look too closely at mistakes Morrison would not play again for the rest of the season. :bluescarf:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Cunningham's marking when the ball was played across the box seemed woeful, watch Mahrez 1st. Can't help but think Bennett would've been better, he seems quicker.

Fair points mate but for Bennett’s attempted tackle on Hazard (if you can call it that) Cunningham deserved a chance.
I do think that we should scrap the memory of mistakes yesterday as Man City were light years ahead of us - if we look too closely at mistakes Morrison would not play again for the rest of the season. :bluescarf:

True. Suppose it's good for a little competition.
jimmy_rat

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

True mate.
They certainly added to their match fitness yesterday, those who don’t normally play 90 mins.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

True mate.
They certainly added to their match fitness yesterday, those who don’t normally play 90 mins.

Hell of an introduction to the Premier league for them.
jimmy_rat

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:42 am

I got the impression Bamba was 'rested' rather than dropped yesterday? :? :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Sven wrote:I got the impression Bamba was 'rested' rather than dropped yesterday? :? :ayatollah:

Yes, me too Chris. :thumbup:
Possible the same for Bennett or maybe keeping fringe players on their toes by playing in a game that didn’t really matter how the team was tinkered with really.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:I got the impression Bamba was 'rested' rather than dropped yesterday? :? :ayatollah:

Yes, me too Chris. :thumbup:
Possible the same for Bennett or maybe keeping fringe players on their toes by playing in a game that didn’t really matter how the team was tinkered with really.

Andrew, like you said, I think Neil Warnock is 'managing' Sol Bamba for 'certain' games! :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat