Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Reality check

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 am

I am normally out of my seat screaming when we are losing, extreme anger :banghead: followed by depression for the rest of the day and evening. By Sunday, probably like most football fans, I've recovered somewhat.

The premier league has improved in quality since we were last there and to be honest I thought Man City would beat us 7 or 8 nil. It was 5-0, and strangely I am not as depressed as I thought I would have been. The reality is I know the squad has had little money spent on it, so I expect little in return - if that makes any sense.

Had Neil Warnock been handed a 100 million to spend, we would be a more capable side, but as we all know money does not always keep you up. We are not by any means a premier league side...yet. Wolves by comparison look a premier league side already and are a different class altogether. They have owners with money to spend on a scale similar to Man City and I would not be surprised to see them a top 5 side in the next 3 -5 years.

The reality for us is to keep plugging away and not to get too disheartened. It's going to be tough but we can survive and who knows where we will be in five years. :thumbright:

Re: Reality check

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 am

We are no different from last time. We are a top class championship team built to gain as many points as possible in the championship. Both promotions were built on zero risk waiting for the opposition to make mistakes.

Malky strangled the game not allowing it to spark into life and relied on set plays, whilst Warnock relied on counter attacking with furious pace and set plays.

They make fewer mistake in the premier league and are better at defending set plays and obviously we get fewer opportunities as we are always chasing the ball.

Wolves were a premiership club in the championship and have bought well, Neves will end up top 6. We did very well to keep as close as we did to them. Fulham were better equipped for the premier league than we were even though they went up via the playoffs.

For me its important we get this correct this time, we spent a lot last time and came last and it cost us the next four seasons. If we somehow stay up Tan is going to have to rethink the strategy as we need to try to become a premier league team. If we get relegated we need to try to strike the balance between being a championship point hauling machine and one who could make the transformation if we got promoted again. This is where is see Bellers stepping in.

I am just enjoying the ride.

Re: Reality check

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 am

Out of curiosity how much did we over spend in the premiership last time around compared to today?.